Replacement Tires

WRubicon

Georgia
2011had 76k

I just had new tires put on our 2011 last weekend. We got 76K out of the Bridgeston but I like Michelin so we upgraded to the Michelin M/S II. Great tires.

cbkqx56

I just got a set of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus from tire rack. i will probably remove the snows and put them on this week. they replace the OEMs, which got, i think, over 50k miles before i tossed them in the fall (i am not the original owner so i am not sure). will post back here in a bit with how they are...

-chris

Rsanders24

Every vehicle I have owned has had Michelin Tires...that's all I buy...but with the 22s im stuck with OEM Bridgestone or Pirelli... :(

STR3T

We're pushing 50k on our 2012 QX original/OEM set.

cbkqx56, Also looking at the positive reviews at Tire Rack re: the Scorp Verde All Season Plus at $245/per.

So if you get yours on, please let us know how they ride...quiet enough?

We're taking a 2k+ trip in June and I may look to replace before that trip. Long stretches of not a lot around if I were to blow one out...although I'd probably be able to get close to 60k on these like some others have been seeing.

Fantastic usage from such a heavy, 4WD vehicle.

STR3T

That'd be great...thanks.

From memory, the OEM's are Dueler H/T's, which Tire Rack shows only a 3.5/Probably Not for Would You Buy Again. The Scorps got a 9/Definitely on that rating.

I didn't see that the OEM's were all that bad, personally. But the customer feedback puts the Verde Plus way ahead of the OEM's. Average 4.4 points more, per survey topic (hydroplaning resistance, Cornering, comfort, etc.)... 108pts vs. just 67pts for the OEMs.

No brainer what to buy, I guess...assuming close to the same cost.

cbkqx56

I never had any problems with the OEMs till the tread started wearing, then i noticed a significant decline in wet performance. They were still above the wear bars and by tread depth were still "ok". Given that (I think) they lasted 50some thousand miles that's pretty good! I mainly bought the Pirellis to see what they were like.

what i wish i could get is a conti pro contact DWS, i really like those tires. no such luck.

STR3T

Haha...I bought a set of Conti DWS for an '09 Z4 this past fall. Replaced a set of OEM RFT's that just killed you when hitting bridges, pot holes, etc. They were just rigid as all hell.

Yes, I'm finding the DWS to be a nice set on the Z, at least and would've bought these if they had shown as an option. Not many choices in the 22" range but I think the Scorp Verdes should prove to be a nice set. I just ordered through my local Dobbs. $1200 fully installed/balanced/tpms, warranty, blah blah. That after the current $60 rebate.

roughyear

when I purchased my replacement tires, I didn't see the Pirellis , I just looked at Tire Rack and not listed for the 20inch ... I went with the OEM Bridgestone's, as I did get amazing mileage out of them.. so far no complaints

Rsanders24

The Pirelli's are new..because I searched everywhere for other brands when buying our 2nd set. The only thing you could find for the 22" are the Bridgestones...maybe a few other will come to the plate soon...

focsle

Alaska
Those Pirellis look like a good tire. Interested to hear how they ride.

I agree, hopefully a few more options on the 22 front. I almost bought some 20 rims just so I could have the Michelins. The guy wanted 550 for tires and rims, pretty much right off the QX, had my wife not been along...

We drive from Nogales to Puerta Vallarta and you need to be going 100 mph, or move over to the slow lane. So always felt cozy with the Michelins on, not that I was going that fast, fuel issue, but we do move along. I have my fuel stops planned ahead based on mph, so we watch it. We were driving the 5.7L Tundra before, terrible mileage, so am looking forward to the QX for the drive this year. Even a little improvement would be nice. The other option is to put a 45 gallon tank on the Tundra and go like hell.

Rsanders24

If you keep it under 75 you will be ok...anything past that...sucks so much gas you might think the tank has a hole in it...

Now...I didn't see a huge difference between 80-100...lol

cbkqx56

so far the pirellis seem fine. too soon to judge handling but they seem to be pretty quiet. no driving in the rain yet. cars alway feel much more spry when you remove the snows, so its hard to judge.

cbkqx56

We probably have 2-3000 miles on them now, so far so good. They're pretty quiet and seem to handle fine. Haven't driven through any torrential rains yet, and just a slight touch of snow.

STR3T

Still early but I like the Pirelli's too so far. I did hit some serious rain in the first two weeks and they handled it just fine. Mostly it's the Mrs driving but when I've been at the wheel...so far so good.

We take a long trip soon...if anything negative occurs, I'll re-post here on it but at this point, I'm thinking these are a very good choice for replacements on anyone's QX.

STR3T

So St. Louis to Winnipeg and back last week for some US Women’s World Cup action. We put over 2,300 miles the QX/Pirelli’s.

I made sure we swapped out tires prior to this trip, as the OEM’s were at ~48k miles back in April. Wanted to minimize potential issues.

Well, only got about 200 miles into the trip when we stopped for gas and the right rear tire grabs a nail and we’re deflating at a gas station fast.

Put the full size (OEM) spare on and hoofed it up to Minneapolis as a ½ way point. Had the tire patched and put back on. Ran the rest of the trip that way with no ill effect.

Other than that, these tires have been great. Maybe not the quietest tires you might find but not overly noisy either. They grip really well.

We’ve hit some major rain and crappy roads in both Canada and the US. Would recommend as OEM replacements.

uwhusky

I have the stock 22" rims on my 2011 QX56. I'm about to buy my fourth set of tires and I'm pissed. I'm going to probably move tire size to a 285/45-22 because I've had such horrible luck with the Bridgestone Duehler 275/50-22.

Who's had good luck going to the 285/45-22?

I'm leaning toward the Michelin or the Cooper Discover SRX (I have a buddy who works for Cooper so he can get me a good price).

My OEM tires ran out of tread around 20k miles.
Put on another set of Bridgestone, those lasted me until about 45k miles.
After about 7k miles, one of them got a nail in the sidewall so I replaced all four.
At 52k miles I had my 3rd set installed, also Bridgestones.
Now I'm at 72k miles and needing new tires. FYI, these Bridgestones were warrantied for 60k miles so I'm going to try and get some money back.