Replacement Tires

roughyear

New Tires

Who's bought new tires yet for their Beast??? I have the 20inch wheels, and $tealer finally says I need new tires... Got 57k on the originals.. I'm SHOCKED!! :eek:

What tires are you guys using?

Begone

I'm shocked you got that much mileage out of your Q. Sounds reasonable. I woudln't buy them from the dealership though - go to Discount Tire or NTB. Don't waste your money.

roughyear

Yup... I'm shocked as well. I had a MB ML500, that needed tires every 15-18k. So yes, shocked is an understatement when I got these numbers.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
I will be shocked if I don't get to 50 or 60k. I'm almost to 40 right now and I've got plenty of tread left. Rotations are the name of the game and I have mine rotated every oil change. I have always done that with every vehicle I have ever owned and haven't had any short life tires like so many people complain of and I have owned many many brands and sizes.

Olywtlifter

I will be shocked if I don't get to 50 or 60k. I'm almost to 40 right now and I've got plenty of tread left. Rotations are the name of the game and I have mine rotated every oil change. I have always done that with every vehicle I have ever owned and haven't had any short life tires like so many people complain of and I have owned many many brands and sizes.
Agreed, I actually got over 100,000 miles on a set of Michelins.

Dread_Parrot

20's

hey Roughyear, they have a good list of 20's on Tire rack. At least you can review & compare and see the tread-ware rating and Load ratings. They look to be all ' P' rated. I haven't looked real close.
That is excellent mileage out of your Bridgestones. That reminds me, I need to rotate mine. I am kinda worried about that as I have one on the rear that has a lot of weights.
Maybe I will do that today between conference calls.
Have a good one
Parrott

2011 QX Black on black, 20 inch wheels and a new air filter

roughyear

Costco has a $70 rebate on a set of 4 Bridgestone - Dueler H/T 684II [OEM], which are the same price as TireRack.. meaning don't have to pay for shipping, and they're $15 each to install... thus the rebate actually pays for the Installation.

I'm trying to decide b/t the OEM Bridegestones, as I didn't mind them at all or the Yokohama Geolandar or Michelin LTX M/S2

Punisher

Chicago Suburbs
OK, finally had it after almost wrecking twice today in the 1 inch snow. I have no confidence in these tires and really this truck in the snow. I took my old Tahoe which is great in the snow because this is such a joke.

We usually get 2 or 3 snow storms a year so no way I'm going to buy new rims and snow tires. The Original 22" Bridgestone need to be replaced at 30k miles which I'm just aggravated about. I'm looking for a tire to still have the same good looking low profile and width but would like a better snow/rain tire that preferably lasts longer. Tire rack reviews on the stock tires confirm my suspicions, everyone hates it in the snow and rain. I see there are only a few tires in that size, anyone replace theirs with a different tire size that they're happy with?

Last edited:

CarbonZ

I have the 22's also and they are terrible. The OEM tires wore out in 15,000 miles. I replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas that were slightly different in size (285/45/22 which are .7" smaller diameter) but had a higher tread wear rating. I have 36000 miles on my truck now and I need my third set of tires. I'll never buy 22" wheels again.

roughyear

I got an AMAZING 50k out of my OEMs (20inch) tires... purchased the same brand, as the Michelin's were to expensive in my opinion. They might be a little noisier than Michelin's, but they held up pretty well in my book.

We had a ton of snow last week, and the "Beast" held up fine, while other cars/trucks were spinning out all over the place.

Punisher

Chicago Suburbs
I got an AMAZING 50k out of my OEMs (20inch) tires... purchased the same brand, as the Michelin's were to expensive in my opinion. They might be a little noisier than Michelin's, but they held up pretty well in my book.

We had a ton of snow last week, and the "Beast" held up fine, while other cars/trucks were spinning out all over the place.
I vented to the guy at Infiniti and he said the low profile 22" are a problem but the 20" seem fine. Not sure why that is. Maybe the low profile don't give as much??

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
20 inch tires recommendations?

What tires have everyone replaced the oem with on the 20" wheels?
I'm still running the Blizzaks from winter trying to find a better all around tire so I don't have to make the summer/winter tire swap twice annually.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
OEM tires were useless in snow and ice so I won't be going back on that route...

Eviltwin52s

Kansas
I have not had to replace my stock tires, but when I did drive with them in the snow they weren't bad. I know they are low profile tires that are 9.5" wide. On my old Yukon Denali, I ran Michelin LTX M/S all season tires and loved how they handled in all weather conditions. No road noise, and great tread wear.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
Thanks for that. I've driven in the KS snow over the years. Miss KC every day!!!
I will check those tires out.
As I said in a previous thread the qx factory 20" tires won't hold. Not so bad going down the street but in parking lots it will push right through a turn into a parking spot for instance and then the rear end catches up and overcorrects. It's kind of scary if you aren't really careful and mind you that I don't corner or turn fast when its snowing. I will try to upload a video from last winter where you can see the qx push straight through a curve doing around 10-12 mph and then it gains traction.
I wish I could remember what goodyear tires I had on our Tahoe. They were excellent in all road conditions. It could be the AWD for all I know creating the issue.
Blizzaks are the ticket for snow and ice for sure but I'm certain they won't hold up to summer driving in the heat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AZQSDQheVc

Here is the video of the QX pushing through a turn...

Loki7154

Intro and a Tire Question

Greetings.

New owner of a CPO 2014 4WD QX80, Silver/Graphite. Should be arriving next week. Theater package and tire and wheel package. Will be the "big brother" to our 2013 M37x. Really excited.

Question: Absent swapping out the 22" rims for the 20" rims, has anyone figured a decent solution for tires for the 22" OEM wheels? Not really a fan of the Bridgestone tires. There's an older thread on here about going with 305/45r22 or 285/45r22s. But there aren't a ton of good options there, either, from what I can tell.

Would love an all-terrain tire, though there's not a lot of sidewall with which to work. Not sure I want pay $400+ for Nitto Terra Grapplers, though.

Thoughts welcome!

Loki7154

Intro and a Tire Question

Hello all.

New owner of a CPO 2014 QX80 4WD in Silver/Graphite. Theater package and tire and wheel package. Excited about taking delivery next week.

Question: Has anyone come to a pretty good solution with respect to tires for the 22" wheels? A quick check of Tirerack shows very few options for the OEM tire size. I'd love an all-terrain option, but the Nitto Terra Grapplers are just ridiculously expensive (and slightly out of spec).

Is the best option to work a swap with someone who has 20" wheels? Is there another option for a different tire profile that works well on these vehicles?

Thanks!
-L

Sjyokel

It's crazy to see the variance in what people are getting from their tires. Mine are due for replacement soon, but I'm at nearly 80k miles. I never thought I'd get that out of 22" tires, but they're still just above the treadwear indicators and the service department gave me another 5k before they recommended changing them.

We don't get nearly as much snow in SW TN as the rest of you, but the beast handled extremely well in the .5" of ice and 7" of snow we got last week. There's no salting or effort to clear the back roads either, so we had a solid 4 days of snow and ice to deal with.

I'm probably going the Costco route when I replace them. It's hard to pass up the service after install and the price is on par with the best deals I can find elsewhere.