2019 QX80 drain on battery

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
battery -

Last edited:

DD938

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the ECM telling the alternator when to run or not. I modified the battery current sensor by cutting the blue wire on the battery current sensor pigtail and the voltage is always constant 14V+. I did install bullet connectors so when its time for annual inspections, I just reconnect it and clear out the DTC before taking my truck in.
How do you clear the DTC ?

G

G-197409

My 2019 QX80 continues to have some kind of battery drain. My son watched the factory DVD system for about 25 minutes, all of a sudden everything clicked off. A few minutes later I tried to start the car and it was dead. My dealer has already made an computer adjustment and replaced the battery once. I love Infiniti, as a matter of fact this is the 6th one that I have owned. I can’t believe that a $72,000.00 car will not start after playing the factory DVD system about 25 minutes. Something is not right. Is anyone else experiencing this??????
Yes!!! I have done the same as you and I am tired of it!!! Let’s sue Infinity! It is 100%a safety hazard for me. I am a single mother of triplets, if this happens at the wrong time. it could definitely jeopardize our safety!

Chief

Reaction score
This is crazy….I have 2019 Qx80…i have same issues with this battery…already had battery changed once last May during a computer recall…suppose to be picking it up tomorrow from dealer…they have had it since last Wednesday …i will be showing this
forum to the service technician/manager…

Davensport

Reaction score
My 2019 QX80 continues to have some kind of battery drain. My son watched the factory DVD system for about 25 minutes, all of a sudden everything clicked off. A few minutes later I tried to start the car and it was dead. My dealer has already made an computer adjustment and replaced the battery once. I love Infiniti, as a matter of fact this is the 6th one that I have owned. I can’t believe that a $72,000.00 car will not start after playing the factory DVD system about 25 minutes. Something is not right. Is anyone else experiencing this??????
I have the same issue and hope there is a fix soon. Just put new battery in and only got 3 months on that battery before I had to go save my wife and vehicle again. Taking it in for service and hope they have some answers. Love the vehicle but very disappointed with this issue.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
the fix is in this thread. it also seems some dealers are issuing a programming update to the ECM to adjust this. talk to your local dealer. reference this thread. if one does not want to do it, call another. or do the mod yourself.

A LOT OF OWNERS of these cars prior to 2021 have had this issue (myself included). this did no just crop up. we all were able to get on with the car despite not doing this mod, so whilst I get its frustrating, it IS a feature to nissan :) no matter how silly it looks, but it CAN be modified as others have done already on their on.

CaptMorgan

Reaction score
I was having the same problem with 2019 QX80. I kept having slow decline in battery capacity. I would need to put it on the charger overnight to recharge every few weeks.
Yesterday the battery was down to 7%. Despite that, the alternator did not appear to be charging. Battery indicator in car would sit around 10 volts, only occasionally would begin to charge for a few seconds then back below 12V again. THis wasnt even improved on a long drive >10miles.
Today, I clipped the blue wire leading to negative battery terminal. Now I have a solid/continuous 14.2 volts while the car is running.
We'll see if this helps the battery life.
Its definitely a terrible design!

Hosedragger

Reaction score
I was having the same problem with 2019 QX80. I kept having slow decline in battery capacity. I would need to put it on the charger overnight to recharge every few weeks.
Yesterday the battery was down to 7%. Despite that, the alternator did not appear to be charging. Battery indicator in car would sit around 10 volts, only occasionally would begin to charge for a few seconds then back below 12V again. THis wasnt even improved on a long drive >10miles.
Today, I clipped the blue wire leading to negative battery terminal. Now I have a solid/continuous 14.2 volts while the car is running.
We'll see if this helps the battery life.
Its definitely a terrible design!
Has it helped or is it to soon to tell?

primov8

Reaction score
Next month will be 4 years since buying my '14 QX80. This particular mod was one of the very first DIYs I did, along with a Northstar AGM battery. To this day and close to 80K miles I've put on the truck, still a very healthy, strong battery and charging system.

Chief

Reaction score
the fix is in this thread. it also seems some dealers are issuing a programming update to the ECM to adjust this. talk to your local dealer. reference this thread. if one does not want to do it, call another. or do the mod yourself.

A LOT OF OWNERS of these cars prior to 2021 have had this issue (myself included). this did no just crop up. we all were able to get on with the car despite not doing this mod, so whilst I get its frustrating, it IS a feature to nissan :) no matter how silly it looks, but it CAN be modified as others have done already on their on.

Hi thanks for ur advice and this forum...after my dealership said my battery was charged and all good.. I told them about this forum...Infiniti engineer had to come out doing some rewiring and supposedly its fixed... been 2 weeks ...i pray no issues ...has anyone had an issue after dealership rewired?

Hosedragger

Reaction score
YouTube already has several videos of this exact process. I’ve watched a few myself.
Do you happen to remember the title of those videos on You Tube? Ive searched about everything I could think of and still am not getting any on the QX80 ?
Thank you. Larry

Hosedragger

Reaction score
what do you need help with?
I'm not mechanically inclined so you tube videos help me out a lot. I think cutting the blue wire near the negative battery terminal seems like the easiest way to modify the issue of my battery running low on short drives around town. I live in Houston and my brief conversation with infiniti service people are not aware of this issue or so they say. Thank you in advance.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
its an issue that ive seen across a couple forums over the years. they may or may not know, but its not a secret.

shynepo3

Reaction score
Hi so I have a 2019 qx80 for about a year now, and it just randomly won’t start. Dealer says battery is fine. I read there is a fix in one of the posts, but I was wondering if someone could tell me how to explain to the dealership
Mechanic what to do? I understand a certain blue or red wire needs to be clipped?

thanks for any help

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
all the info you need is in this thread. read the first 2 pages to get a good understanding. there is a video showing how to do the mod. some dealers already know this and have done it for other members.

G

G-112174

I'm not a fan of the ECM telling the alternator when to run or not. I modified the battery current sensor by cutting the blue wire on the battery current sensor pigtail and the voltage is always constant 14V+. I did install bullet connectors so when its time for annual inspections, I just reconnect it and clear out the DTC before taking my truck in.
Yeah, its an emissions/fuel economy process that turns off the alternator when the battery is at a full charge or close to it. Less load on the engine.
Newer lithium batteries in vehicles could solve this problem

mr and mrs peelle

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 infinity qx 80 July 30 2020. The battery has died 2 times already. The first battery was replaced with a new battery from the dealership where I bought the car. I tried starting it this morning and nothing. It was dead again. How do I fix this from happening?

I havent had any test done yet. I am going to try and get an appt today. I was dead again this morning.
i have the same situation for my exact same model. worked ok for a year but now dead at least once a week despite new battery. HELP!!