2019 QX80 drain on battery

JAW

Reaction score
Bradley, I have an 2011 QX56 and I'm having the same issues.. I've had mine at the dealer several times and they can't seem to figure out the issue. I'm seeing the Nissan Armada is also having the same issues.. Infiniti only tells you to take it to a retailer. I feel a class action lawsuit should definitely get started asap.

Tom count me in.. Having the same issues with my 2011 QX56, the dealer cannot figure out what the issue is... Class Action Suit is a must.
I'm having the same issue on my recently purchased 2019 Infiniti QX80. I bought a generator so I can jump start it. Count me in on any legal action planned.

Karen Simons

Reaction score
My 2019 QX80 continues to have some kind of battery drain. My son watched the factory DVD system for about 25 minutes, all of a sudden everything clicked off. A few minutes later I tried to start the car and it was dead. My dealer has already made an computer adjustment and replaced the battery once. I love Infiniti, as a matter of fact this is the 6th one that I have owned. I can’t believe that a $72,000.00 car will not start after playing the factory DVD system about 25 minutes. Something is not right. Is anyone else experiencing this??????
My QX80 is a 2019 and I've had it a year and 2 mos. Beginning in September of 2020 the battery died. We replaced the battery and now in November 2020 it has died again. There is something that is draining the battery. If you have learned of any specific problems causing this, please share.

Toad

Reaction score
Forgive me here but I too have a 2019 and there was a recent (10-2020) recall that I took mine to the dealer for a drain on the electrical system, but I cannot find the TSB for this. You might see if that is part of it.

Crystalburk

Reaction score
My 2019 QX80 continues to have some kind of battery drain. My son watched the factory DVD system for about 25 minutes, all of a sudden everything clicked off. A few minutes later I tried to start the car and it was dead. My dealer has already made an computer adjustment and replaced the battery once. I love Infiniti, as a matter of fact this is the 6th one that I have owned. I can’t believe that a $72,000.00 car will not start after playing the factory DVD system about 25 minutes. Something is not right. Is anyone else experiencing this??????
We too have this same issue!! We’ve gotten it fixed and it’s now doing it again! Currently stuck at a movie theater with our family and a dead battery!

primov8

Reaction score
I just want to clarify a few things regarding this ECM-controlled alternator bypass. There are two different ways to do this mod to have the alternator charge as a traditional alternator and not rely on the ECM to be told when to charge the battery.

On a previous post and likely the easier method, the signal wire can be snipped, de-pinned, etc. at the battery current sensor connector. I had mentioned the ecm-signal wire to look for at the battery current sensor connector is supposed to be 2.5V; my mistake but it is supposed to have at least 5V.

The second method is where the signal wire is de-pinned from the ecu. That wire yields a 2.5V output when checking with a multi-meter.

Last edited by a moderator:

trdoffroad21

Reaction score
Technically, it'll store a P1550 DTC (battery current sensor) in the ecu. Since NY has yearly emissions, when I cut the signal wire from the battery current sensor, I installed male/female bullet connectors on the cut wire. So when I bring my truck in for yearly emissions/inspection, I connect the wire and the P1550 DTC is gone.
Primov8, what model is your QX80, and do you have photos of your mod, by chance? I’ve got a ‘19 that is doing this, and I’m afraid it is going to strand my wife and kids in the cold. I plan on making this mod this weekend if I can confirm which wire I need to cut. Thanks in advance!

primov8

Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘14 and sorry I don’t have pics. With a multimeter on hand, it is very easy to find the signal wire on the pigtail/connector for the battery current sensor.

Sackallen

Reaction score
I’ve got a ‘14 and sorry I don’t have pics. With a multimeter on hand, it is very easy to find the signal wire on the pigtail/connector for the battery current sensor.
I’m new to the forum and since January, drive myself first 2019 QX80. About 4 months ago, during Covid, I only started needing small trips around my small town and my car started not starting after running to the gym, or into a grocery store. It’s really scary having to ask strangers for a jump or calling my husband at work to rescue me. I too would like to sue Infinite. How do we start a class action lawsuit? Anyways, the dealership said they knew how to fix it by reprogramming a fix on my computer system and radio. I’m driving 200 miles to the nearest dealership to see if that is true. From the sounds of it, it’s not going to fix it!

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
lets not bring up a class action. this is not the thread for it.

have not heard of anyone getting something reprogrammed to change this, but anything is possible.
the mod shown in this thread is quick and easy if you are handy with such matters.

Stan Harmon

Reaction score
On the battery current sensor, there are (4) wires on the connector. The signal wire is blue on my '14 QX80; I don't think Infiniti changed it but easy to check with a multi-meter. With the ignition ON, unplug the connector from the battery current sensor assembly. The signal wire will be the only wire on that connector with an output of 2.5V.

The other method mentioned is where the signal wire from the alternator is de-pinned from the ecu.
After the dealership has replaced 3 batteries on our QX80 (2019), currently in the shop, I called them about your solution. They told me that they are doing a check to be sure there is no battery drain, and if not, they will disconnect the wire with my permission. They told me that that had solved the problem but needed my permission. Thank you for bringing all this to light!
Stan Harmon

primov8

Reaction score
After the dealership has replaced 3 batteries on our QX80 (2019), currently in the shop, I called them about your solution. They told me that they are doing a check to be sure there is no battery drain, and if not, they will disconnect the wire with my permission. They told me that that had solved the problem but needed my permission. Thank you for bringing all this to light!
Stan Harmon
This has been an on going issue with Nissan's vehicles for some time now and Nissan just seems to ignore it, which doesn't surprise me. Even before buying my QX80, plenty of other Nissan/Infiniti owners had this issue including my cousin with her '13 Rogue. I did the same mod on her Rogue back in 2014 and after finding out the QX80 was no different in regards to the battery current sensor, it was a no brainer to do this mod.
I believe a member here had posted their dealership was aware of this issue and de-pinned the specific wire from the ecu. Either method works and eliminates this problem.

galbraithda1

Reaction score
I just want to clarify a few things regarding this ECM-controlled alternator bypass. There are two different ways to do this mod to have the alternator charge as a traditional alternator and not rely on the ECM to be told when to charge the battery.

On a previous post and likely the easier method, the signal wire can be snipped, de-pinned, etc. at the battery current sensor connector. I had mentioned the ecm-signal wire to look for at the battery current sensor connector is supposed to be 2.5V; my mistake but it is supposed to have at least 5V.

The second method is where the signal wire is de-pinned from the ecu. That wire yields a 2.5V output when checking with a multi-meter.
Thanks for the info. We just bought a 2019 QX80 this past November. It was previously used as a courtesy loaner by the dealership for 11 months. It has 11K miles on it. Do you think the dealership would have experienced this issue during the time they loaned the truck out or do you think it wouldn't have been used enough for the battery to die during use? Would you happen to have pics or video of the MOD that you are describing above?

G

G-852661

lets not bring up a class action. this is not the thread for it.

have not heard of anyone getting something reprogrammed to change this, but anything is possible.
the mod shown in this thread is quick and easy if you are handy with such matters.
It is if it's get us somewhere. I too have a 2019 QX80 and I'm sick and tired of this crap. I traded in a QX56 that had the same issue and was told it was not an issue on the QX80. I now have 10K miles and I'm getting ready to clip teh blue wire and order an Odyssey battery.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
It is if it's get us somewhere.
its not on this forum. nissan do not read this forum. if you want to make a suit, reach out to a lawyer. this site is focused on helping other members with their vehicles. i can understand tempers can flare up on these things but all vehicle manufacturers have something that customers don't like, so i get it, but getting worked up here is not the place to do it. start a facebook group and build up the support.

again, its not an "issue" -- its a feature nissan use in their products. sure it is not the best thing in the world and lots of people don't like it (myself included), but there are thousands of people around the country who don't have an issue with it.

everyone don't post up on a forum --usually only people with issues post, so it can seem like its a bigger issue when it may be just 5-7% of owners.

G

G-299572

They had to update software in mine.

G

G-913505

Bought wifes Qx80 new 2018 we are on 4th batt now. But I've done my own testing and gonna have them replace altinater cause it's seeming batt not getting fully charge when drivin. Crazy for sure!

Shibli

Reaction score
My 2019 qx80 drain battery
If start after 3 days parking , it won't start.
Visit to service center several time
They change BCM Battery control module , changes cental lock with reprogramming, change twice battery BUT still problem is same.

Kcrebel

Reaction score
They change BCM Battery control module , changes cental lock with reprogramming, change twice battery BUT still problem is same.
Did you replace the battery? It may have discharged enough times that it needs replacing. I’d start there. Then if problem persists you know it isn’t the battery. Infiniti batteries have a full four year replacement before prorating so it should be free to get a new battery. Was for us on our 2018 last year.

Karen Simons

Reaction score
I received a Recall Notice just this week about the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) having a software problem which causes the battery to continue to drain when the engine is off. I’m taking my QX80 to the dealership to get this remedied next week. Hope you’ve also received the Recall.

If you have not already, you should be receiving a recall notice regarding this battery drain problem.