2019 QX80 drain on battery

Zander8

I have a 2014 QX80 (Love it!!) however, over the past several months I have been having issues with the battery. I have noticed when I try to start it, it lags a bit first then it starts. Had the battery changed 3 times - I have NEVER, since I purchased the vehicle new had any problems with it, only general maintenance. And all of a sudden dead batteries. So I googled and found this forum. Why do I have a battery issue all of a sudden after 6 years? I understand there is no official recall, but the dealership is aware of the problem. Winter is coming and I don't want to get stranded.

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
those of us over the internet dont know what , if anything, cold be causing your issues, but what you are describing may fall in line with the info in this thread.

first things to do is check your charging system, battery cables, ground straps. accessory belt. check for codes at the obd port to see if any exist.

after you have done all those steps, you may be experiencing the anemic battery charging the nissan system is doing. again reading up on this thread will explain.

if you want, you can temporarily disable the sensor on the negative battery cable at the battery post and see if things change. i would also recommend a way to monitor the battery's SOC. there are some gadgets you can buy that will attach across the battery, allowing you to monitor the SOC via an app on your phone.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
Good Morning everyone. Our 2018 qx80 was doa this am when my wife was leaving for work. Jumped it off and will replace the oem battery later today.
Any of you know if this year model would benefit from the red wire fix?
For the ones who are unfamiliar in some year models Infiniti controls the alternator charging by the ecm and it doesn’t charge until the vehicle has been driven for 8 miles if I recall. So short trips never get any charge leading to dead batteries often. The fix is to remove a red wire that allows the ecm to communicate with the alternator so the alternator charges all the time. It’s fairly straightforward but if it’s not going to help my 18 then I don’t want to fool with it.
Thanks in advance. If I find out elsewhere I’ll update here as well.

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
KC,

merged your post here as your issue and the "fix" you are speaking about are also being discussed here.

in short, removing the sensing lead on the negative post will allow the alternator to output a constant charging voltage as you suggest and yes your model car is also able to use this. it is reversible , which is good since you are leasing anyway...

by the by, and OFF topic a bit, aren't you and the missus ready for the 2021? you swap out every 2 years no?

Shanea Shipley

I bought a 2019 infinity qx 80 July 30 2020. The battery has died 2 times already. The first battery was replaced with a new battery from the dealership where I bought the car. I tried starting it this morning and nothing. It was dead again. How do I fix this from happening?

I havent had any test done yet. I am going to try and get an appt today. I was dead again this morning.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
KC,

merged your post here as your issue and the "fix" you are speaking about are also being discussed here.

in short, removing the sensing lead on the negative post will allow the alternator to output a constant charging voltage as you suggest and yes your model car is also able to use this. it is reversible , which is good since you are leasing anyway...

by the by, and OFF topic a bit, aren't you and the missus ready for the 2021? you swap out every 2 years no?
We actually buy them but yes we are due to trade in next summer if we stay on our 3 year buy/trade plan we’ve been on since 2012. At the Infiniti dealership as we speak. Battery is covered under warranty so I’ll get this done and then do the mod. Appreciate your merging topics. Wasn’t sure if the 18’s applied to that mod. I’ve read elsewhere that at some point (was thinking 17) they made this an ecm programmable feature that could be turned off vs having to cut a wire or whatever.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
Quick update:
Successful trip to dealership. New battery covered under warranty. Red wire mod performed by tech at my request. so I now have full alternator charging all time. Rear view camera recall performed as well. Total cost was the fuel for the round trip to the dealer which was way less than the cost of a new battery at $119 plus tax.

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
I bought a 2019 infinity qx 80 July 30 2020. The battery has died 2 times already. The first battery was replaced with a new battery from the dealership where I bought the car. I tried starting it this morning and nothing. It was dead again. How do I fix this from happening?

I havent had any test done yet. I am going to try and get an appt today. I was dead again this morning.
hi,

I see you posted your question/issue here, so lets keep our discussion here.

If you are not mechanically inclined, it is best to have your system tested out first.

if you can't go to the dealer right away, you can stop at a local pepboys or similar location (autozone?) and have them do a quick charging test.

also, they may be able to check for any trouble codes, if any exist.

i still recommend you simply go into the dealer and pay the diag fee to have them smoke over the car. its used and may have some underlying issue(s) you may not be aware of. if you purchased from the dealer they may be able to work with you.

of course you checked to make sure you had any lights , etc turned off.

do you live in a holt climate? its been really hot this past summer and if you leave your car parked outside, the heat can slowly kill a lead acid battery.

those factory batteries are super basic and are not designed for , in my opinion, a vehicle of this stature, with all its complex sensors and computers.

also, i do fear you may be able to benefit from the charging system "fix" thats been discussed in this thread.

anyway, let us know what you find... :)

Bigtsmooth

Quick update:
Successful trip to dealership. New battery covered under warranty. Red wire mod performed by tech at my request. so I now have full alternator charging all time. Rear view camera recall performed as well. Total cost was the fuel for the round trip to the dealer which was way less than the cost of a new battery at $119 plus tax.
Did the procedure void your warranty? Did they cut the wire or just disconnected it?

Bigtsmooth

No it doesn’t void the warranty. Just disconnected the wire at the plug by the battery.
Thanks, heading to the dealer now.

——————

They knew exactly what the issue was and fixed it on the spot. I was in and out within 5 minutes. I didn’t event have to get out of the truck. They said they are getting about 3 of those a week. They really should issue a recall or something to let customers know.

Last edited:

Mikehasson

Hi everybody. I believe I have the same problem but I am confused as to which wire to disconnect. There are three colors discussed; The yellow wire in the posted video, Primov8 did the blue wire and Kcrebel calls it the red wire fix. I have a 2018 QX80 and would like to to disconnect the correct wire between the current sensor and the ECM. What color is it please?
Thank you,
Mikehasson

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
Hi everybody. I believe I have the same problem but I am confused as to which wire to disconnect. There are three colors discussed; The yellow wire in the posted video, Primov8 did the blue wire and Kcrebel calls it the red wire fix. I have a 2018 QX80 and would like to to disconnect the correct wire between the current sensor and the ECM. What color is it please?
Thank you,
Mikehasson
I think it depends on where you disconnect at. You have two areas. One is at the ecm and the other is at the battery terminal. There may be others but those are the two areas I'm familiar with. My mechanic did mine.

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
Thank you,
Mikehasson
when in doubt/doing it yourself, look at what @primov8 did.

Bigtsmooth

Thank you,
Mikehasson
Mine was done at the IP
Thank you,
Mikehasson
I have a 2015 QX80 but the setup should be similar. Mine was red.

primov8

NYC
Thank you,
Mikehasson
On the battery current sensor, there are (4) wires on the connector. The signal wire is blue on my '14 QX80; I don't think Infiniti changed it but easy to check with a multi-meter. With the ignition ON, unplug the connector from the battery current sensor assembly. The signal wire will be the only wire on that connector with an output of 2.5V.

The other method mentioned is where the signal wire from the alternator is de-pinned from the ecu.

Mikehasson

On the battery current sensor, there are (4) wires on the connector. The signal wire is blue on my '14 QX80; I don't think Infiniti changed it but easy to check with a multi-meter. With the ignition ON, unplug the connector from the battery current sensor assembly. The signal wire will be the only wire on that connector with an output of 2.5V.

The other method mentioned is where the signal wire from the alternator is de-pinned from the ecu.
Thank you PrimoV8 and everyone else for their input!

NSR

be nice to have video or pic of someone doing it for few less technically inclined people lol. Mine died on me 2 days ago as i left my dvd running for daughter waiting for my appointment lasted less than 10 mins and it went out. i was able to restart waiting few mins. My QX80 was parked for few days as i was off

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
be nice to have video or pic of someone doing it for few less technically inclined people lol. Mine died on me 2 days ago as i left my dvd running for daughter waiting for my appointment lasted less than 10 mins and it went out. i was able to restart waiting few mins. My QX80 was parked for few days as i was off
YouTube already has several videos of this exact process. I’ve watched a few myself.