2019 QX80 drain on battery

DD938

Reaction score
Bradley, I have an 2011 QX56 and I'm having the same issues.. I've had mine at the dealer several times and they can't seem to figure out the issue. I'm seeing the Nissan Armada is also having the same issues.. Infiniti only tells you to take it to a retailer. I feel a class action lawsuit should definitely get started asap.

Tom count me in.. Having the same issues with my 2011 QX56, the dealer cannot figure out what the issue is... Class Action Suit is a must.
Me also, have a 2018 and dealer just replaced the battery. No cost to me (this time) but it failed inspection as emissions data lost. Had to go back later.. Just want it FIXED! Love it otherwise.

Humbe

Reaction score
My 2019 QX80 continues to have some kind of battery drain. My son watched the factory DVD system for about 25 minutes, all of a sudden everything clicked off. A few minutes later I tried to start the car and it was dead. My dealer has already made an computer adjustment and replaced the battery once. I love Infiniti, as a matter of fact this is the 6th one that I have owned. I can’t believe that a $72,000.00 car will not start after playing the factory DVD system about 25 minutes. Something is not right. Is anyone else experiencing this??????
I had the same issue with my 2018 qx80 and it happened while at the dealer. The service advisor and I were deleting the previous owners information like phone destination the home site for the navigation. The car went completely dead they had to replace the battery that was just put installed in December of 2020. The tech said the system won't charge while idling or short trips they have to do a pin position change in the fusebox unless it has an update to install.

Bob Pugmire

Reaction score
My 2019 QX80 continues to have some kind of battery drain. My son watched the factory DVD system for about 25 minutes, all of a sudden everything clicked off. A few minutes later I tried to start the car and it was dead. My dealer has already made an computer adjustment and replaced the battery once. I love Infiniti, as a matter of fact this is the 6th one that I have owned. I can’t believe that a $72,000.00 car will not start after playing the factory DVD system about 25 minutes. Something is not right. Is anyone else experiencing this??????
Yes, unfortunately Infiniti continues to blame it on short trips. This will be the third time in 3 months we have to take it back to the shop. This time I’ll talk to the idiot mechanics instead of my wife. As far as I’m concerned they can drive it off a cliff. I will never buy another Infiniti

kkm

Reaction score
I have leased 2019 QX80 .....I am so disappointed and so frustrated with it!
In the past few months, I have already called CAA atleast seven times because the battery keeps dying.
4 times it has happened at my driveway, so it was okay to deal with, but 3 times, my wife had driven the car, and, while returning, it wouldn't start
so had to call CAA to jump start. This was all during winter ...it was really frustrating!
Today, again, it wouldn't start and had to call CAA...they couldn't jump start and finally had to tow to the service center at 8650 Woodbine Ave, Markham
I am waiting to hear back from the mechanic on what they have to say and how are they going to fix it !!!
I am looking forward to the customer service here...let's see what happens !

Zander8

Reaction score
I have a 2014 QX80 - a couple of months ago I was having the same issue, I was stuck several times. We called our local dealership and they told us that they are getting several calls about the same issue and they are waiting to hear back from the factory. We left our number and never heard back from them.....they are the WORST dealership around!

Thankfully, my mechanic found out I had a bad cell in my battery. I replaced it with an Interstate battery - no issues since then.

kaoyagi

Reaction score
I just did to my QX80, of the 4 wires on the battery current sensor two were hot (5v) with the car in ON. One is blue and the other is green. I removed the BLUE from the connector and now have 14v+ going to the battery so I'm calling it good.

Last edited:

NSR

Reaction score
I just did to my QX80, of the 4 wires on the battery current sensor two were hot (5v) with the car in ON. One is blue and the other is green. I removed the BLUE from the connector and now have 14v+ going to the battery so iIm calling it good.
how many cold cranks did you get. i just had service done and miraculously my battery turned bad too i have had three shut downs so far already. going to go to Costco and pick one up from there than paying 400$ to dealer oh well i might get 10 % off lmao due to inconvenience

kaoyagi

Reaction score
how many cold cranks did you get. i just had service done and miraculously my battery turned bad too i have had three shut downs so far already. going to go to Costco and pick one up from there than paying 400$ to dealer oh well i might get 10 % off lmao due to inconvenience
I didn't change the battery. I just pulled the pin out of the connector. The battery is an Interstate that was in it when I bought it.

NSR

Reaction score
I didn't change the battery. I just pulled the pin out of the connector. The battery is an Interstate that was in it when I bought it.
well mine stranded me at Costco today called everyone i knew and damn everyone was busy then Sis came to rescue with her CRV I was siting in parking lot for around 2 hours. i even went back to Costco to see i could pick up that small battery jump start nothing in there went o Canadian tire and they had small one which the girl said was useless. When i jumped from CRV it started first but the level had dropped so much it died running. then had to wait few mins to try starting it back. Finally got it working and left the car running for like 2 hours even when i got home and drove around a bit.

Sitting waiting called dealership as I remember it was changed didn't remember time. It was changed in Oct 2019 the advisor spoke to his Sup and he said bring it in we will try in Warranty. so tomorrow morning gonna head to Dealership and see what happens Costco couldn't find appropriate cold cranks in group 27.

Once i change the battery gonna pull out the wire too. its died 3-4 times so far in less than year

Well took a trip down tot he dealership waited and hour or so till adviser came and said battery is running good now i said yeah i let it run for over 4 hours yesterday for it to be charged. he said they didn't have battery as it was Special type and they couldn't even replace with aftermarket. They gonna do it in good will and maybe call me next wed to see if Battery is in. Gonna keep fingers crossed and see if they replace it. other option thinking is run a tender. well waiting till next week to decide what options are gonna start looking for some aftermarket options too for Battery. Not much out with required cold crank options.

Chris in Monterey

Reaction score
My 2014 QX80 bought used in 2017 is on the third battery. I thought it must have been draining in the past and this time over several days it would sometimes start and sometime not. Dealer checked it over and possibly because of previous battery changes the terminal assembly was found to be loose. They replaced the $54 part, charged $199 for labor/diagnostics and said the battery was good, which sounds right since I bought it in April 2020. We shall see how long it lasts, since I usually drive short trips.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
if you did not do this battery charging mod, your battery is likely to NOT charge as you would expect, causing the battery to fail as you have experienced. driving short trip exacerbates this.

Chris in Monterey

Reaction score
if you did not do this battery charging mod, your battery is likely to NOT charge as you would expect, causing the battery to fail as you have experienced. driving short trip exacerbates this.
Very true. After starting twice yesterday after service yesterday I went for an afternoon sight seeing drive, never turned engine off, idled when parked. It did not start in the evening. Back to the dealer tomorrow to get mod done.

Only lasted overnight. Started ok once, later that afternoon would not start. Took it back to Nissan dealer, but also called service advisor at Infiniti. Infiniti said they have a fix for $600 not including if a new battery is needed.

Infiniti fix is an updated accessory relay and an alternator harness to charge battery to 100%. Says the issue is that the alternator charges the battery to 80% and not for the first 10 minutes of driving.

G

G-711398

If under warranty, try to get it handled as lemon, mine was lemon & manufacturer buyback.
Infiniti contact has said it was designed that way for fuel economy. The accessory relay fix is to shut down power draws quicker after you turn the car off. I am out of my warranty period, so gotta make lemonade. Getting very little help and all dealers want to charge for the fix or to diagnose. Too bad, as otherwise enjoy the car, just can’t rely on it under what are pretty normal conditions… short drives happen.

NSR

Reaction score
Infiniti contact has said it was designed that way for fuel economy. The accessory relay fix is to shut down power draws quicker after you turn the car off. I am out of my warranty period, so gotta make lemonade. Getting very little help and all dealers want to charge for the fix or to diagnose. Too bad, as otherwise enjoy the car, just can’t rely on it under what are pretty normal conditions… short drives happen.
sometimes if you bitch enough they might do it. i went for oil change and they said battery was bad i complained and they said they can give me 10% discount how generous i said screw it. well then few days later stranded at costco called got my regular service guy he said oh your battery was changed in 19 come in we will try under warranty so i went couple days later sitting them they diagnosed and voila battery was good again lol i was nah this aint right the guys said well we will sneak with warranty as i was second owner and this was done for first owner i kind whined saying your battery should still be good for 5 years. No way i was going to pay 400 bucks to them did find one comparable at Costco with 850 CCa is one i would have got if this did not work but it did for me. 2 weeks later battery is on back order and cant be found i am thinking like you buggers dont wanna do it. I advised take your time i am patient no rush well finally got call Friday Battery was here. Got it changed today for Free was relieved and left hurriedly didnt want them changing their mind for charge.

Mada Man

Reaction score
Hi, I have a '19 Armada giving the same troubles since I drive very short distances. Thinking I was following 'the fix' correctly, I pulled the light blue wire from the connector at negative battery lead.

After that, starting the vehicle required it to turn over many times before starting. It then sounded like it was racing, like it never settled down after the initial start. The dash said BCM failure, and the check engine light stayed on. After letting it run for like five minutes there was a burning smell. I shut it down, and tried restarting it a few times, but it always did the same thing.

I ended up plugging the wire back in and using the Torque app with an OBDII scanner to clear the 8 or so fault codes that were stored. It now runs fine.

Did I unplug the wrong wire? Has anybody else experienced that engine behavior? Thanks

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
sounds like you did unplug the wrong wire. all the wire does is "fool" the alternator to send a full charge voltage. you have to understand the color codes vary from car to car. you need to look at the schematic and trace the proper color wire for YOUR specific vehicle. if you are not comfy dong this, have a respected and trusted shop mechanic do it for you.

Chris in Monterey

Reaction score
Infiniti Consumer Affairs that I contacted are going to reimburse $400 that I spent at the dealer to do the accessory relay fix and alternator strap. The other diagnostics at other dealer and the battery pac for jump starts, I own those myself.

DD938

Reaction score
Primov8, what model is your QX80, and do you have photos of your mod, by chance? I’ve got a ‘19 that is doing this, and I’m afraid it is going to strand my wife and kids in the cold. I plan on making this mod this weekend if I can confirm which wire I need to cut. Thanks in advance!
So just re-connecting the wire clears the DTC code - no fancy tool needed ?

Montrealer

Reaction score
its not considered a "problem" in nissans eyes :p - thats just the way the system works. its designed with lower emissions in mind. the battery that ships with the armada and qx are much too underpowered with the computer system and sensors on the car. i added an odyssey to the car and never looked back.

there's a lengthy discussion about this on another forum i frequent that spans years of posts from armada owners as well. there is a way to bypass this system so the alternator charges at a much higher level. that's why i mentioned primo since he has done this mod. its not difficult to do.

i bought this little guy for the battery - at any time i can see the status of the battery...

Battery Monitor
Hello, can I ask what an odyssey is? thank you.