Check engine light came on.. Catalytic converter

heathtrost14

Reaction score
2011 QX56 - 185K Miles - CATS were replaced at 140K Miles. (used car place did it so no clue the quality of the CATS) Getting Bank01 PO420 Error

I live in Georgia... trying to pass emissions... in March of this year I removed the code and it stayed off for a few weeks, enough to get my emissions to pass. Now when I remove the code the light only stays off for 1 day... so I think I need to do a little more. I am going to start using premium fuel for now and about to try BG 44k PLATINUM fuel injector cleaner.

Then I came across this list... has anybody had any luck with any of these? Most of the negative reviews is all around keeping the light off permanently, which I understand probably won't work.

1. -Cataclean $25

2. CRC “Guaranteed to Pass” Emissions System Formula - $10

3. Solder-It CAT-1 - $16
4. OxiCat - $15

Thanks
Heath

gpschmidt

Reaction score
Tried Cataclean. Didn't help my situation. I imagine it probably depends how bad the Cats are. For $25, it's worth a shot. Better than the $1100 I paid to have the Cat replaced.

heathtrost14

Reaction score
Tried Cataclean. Didn't help my situation. I imagine it probably depends how bad the Cats are. For $25, it's worth a shot. Better than the $1100 I paid to have the Cat replaced.
exactly to be honest for the prices of all the top 4 I might just work down the list and see if any of them help me... worth a shot.

G

G-817630

No, I did not ask them specifically what process they went through. Probably a question I should have/can ask. At this point I haven't had the work done. I just bought the thing, so I have to replenish my reserves a bit to fork over the $2300.

A blind guess, but I'm thinking this might have been the reason the previous owner parted with the car.
a simple easy way to confirm the efficiency of both CATS its to check input and ouput temperature with a infrared temperature gun (harbor tools sell for $30) output should be hotter than the input, if lower or the same your cat its dead

chrisrach3

Reaction score
a simple easy way to confirm the efficiency of both CATS its to check input and ouput temperature with a infrared temperature gun (harbor tools sell for $30) output should be hotter than the input, if lower or the same your cat its dea
Fixed Cat

I have a 2012 QX56 with 104K miles. It threw a P0430 a month or so ago. I reset it once with my scan tool. Of course, it came back once all the parameters reset. After getting a quote for $2,000 to replace Bank 2, I looked at this thread.

Somebody said put a can of Seafoam into a half tank of gas and drive it like you stole it. He got ridiculed and many pooh, pooh'd his solution. I figured, what do I have to lose. So, I bought a can of Seafoam for $7.99, dumped it in the fuel tank and drove it like I stole it. I mean, manual-shift-at-red-line beat on it, repeatedly. The light didn't go away... until I got back in it later and started it up. BINGO, no CEL.

Maybe it will last, maybe it won't. The bottom line is this. The QX56 SUV is an INFINITI performance vehicle. Between trips to the grocery store and the soccer field, put the pedal to the metal and let it fly some. Treat it with a can of Seafoam every 3 months or so. For now, I am going to get the emissions test to PASS and bank the $2,000.
Same thing here, CEL came on at 95,000 miles, 0430 code, put in a can of Seafoam in a half tank, drove it like I stole it until the gas notification came on for about 20 or so miles, a day or so later the CEL went away. Will try to keep you posted in a few months.

heathtrost14

Reaction score
ok here is my update on my results... I did pass emissions in GA by the way. :) That is the good news.

Step #1 - Put in a can of BG44 Fuel Injector cleaner in a full tank before a road trip. (premium fuel)
Step #2 - removed the code to remove CEL. It came on quickly but after removing it a 2nd time it stayed off for over 150 miles and a couple days
Step #3 - before driving back home CEL came back on, so I put in CATACLEAN to probably 10 gallons of fuel. My QX56 has the issue where when it says I am empty I still have 6 gallons of fuel and with being out of town I was nervous about driving to really empty so keep that in mind.
Step #4 - keep clearing the CEL codes probably twice over a day.
Step #5 - after I got back home CEL was gone for a couple days and like 150 miles so I quickly took it to see if it would pass emissions and it did.
Step #6 - few hours later and about 10 miles CEL came back on...

But my goal was to pass emissions for now as my mpg is fine and now I am good for another year!!! :)

chrisrach3

Reaction score
Same thing here, CEL came on at 95,000 miles, 0430 code, put in a can of Seafoam in a half tank, drove it like I stole it until the gas notification came on for about 20 or so miles, a day or so later the CEL went away. Will try to keep you posted in a few months.
Well, now the engine is misfiring and the CEL is blinking. Haven’t checked the code yet.

Jenny

Reaction score
Dealer told me to replace the catalytic converter and O2 sensor it's about $1,800. Once again the parts has been revised...both the O2 sensor and the catalytic converter. I had mine replaced shortly after 60k. It better last...no way I should ever have to replace a catalytic converter...this should have been a recall.

The reason they only replace the passenger side, which is bank 2 is because for some reason the catalytic converter on that side loses its efficiency causing the O2 sensor to read outside it's value...hence the check engine light..
So can the 02 sensors just be replaced in the cats or still have to replace those. Qx56 2005

G

G-570302

just bought a qx56 and yup four days after driving to home codes to replace fuel pump and both catilic converters 7Kdealer was no help. not only did I pay top dollar for a vehicle now it needs 4K in work total BS.

gpschmidt

Reaction score
just bought a qx56 and yup four days after driving to home codes to replace fuel pump and both catilic converters 7Kdealer was no help. not only did I pay top dollar for a vehicle now it needs 4K in work total BS.
Yeah, similar in my case. I believe the dealer clears the codes and you get maybe 100 miles before they pop up again. It's a very common issue with the 5.6 V8. I love my QX56, but had I to do it over again.....I probably would have passed if I knew then what I know now. And yes, I invested in about $4300 worth of new CAT converters (both sides), and labor. I also had to replace my rear pump for the air suspension. My local Infiniti dealer wanted $800 for that pump. I went to an independent mechanic and with an extended warranty I luckily bought when I got the beast, it was less than $400 for the pump and labor. I'm holding my breath and hoping the timing chain doesn't act up. I have 120K on my 2013 now.

chrisrach3

Reaction score
Yeah, similar in my case. I believe the dealer clears the codes and you get maybe 100 miles before they pop up again. It's a very common issue with the 5.6 V8. I love my QX56, but had I to do it over again.....I probably would have passed if I knew then what I know now. And yes, I invested in about $4300 worth of new CAT converters (both sides), and labor. I also had to replace my rear pump for the air suspension. My local Infiniti dealer wanted $800 for that pump. I went to an independent mechanic and with an extended warranty I luckily bought when I got the beast, it was less than $400 for the pump and labor. I'm holding my breath and hoping the timing chain doesn't act up. I have 120K on my 2013 now.
"I love my QX56, but had I to do it over again.....I probably would have passed if I knew then what I know now." I couldn't agree more.

Question: I just replaced the timing chain and now the p0430 code came on (same day of bringing home from repair, so I'm 99.9% sure they're related). I don't mind driving it with the light on until I get the computer reset in a couple weeks, which my mechanic said should do the trick. My only concern is if it goes into limp mode. If it does, can I just manually reset the light (electrics on, pump gas pedal, etc.) every time it pops up? Any reason I shouldn't do that?

pjdavep

Reaction score
If it goes into limp mode, there's a reason for that and IMO you should not drive it. Cat could be totally clogged. If that's the case, resetting it won't get you far. Or it's possible a new code is being thrown and you are damaging something worse.

chrisrach3

Reaction score
I should mention, last time that happened, about a year ago, same code, I took it in and the mechanic and he cleared it, and I just changed the oil a few times and it seemed to take care of it. Until I replaced the timing chain. So what I'm trying to do is reset the SES so it DOESN'T go into limp mode.

Hilbert15

Reaction score
Hello all,
As I see many of you in this forum have experienced. Both of my cats have failed on my 2012 QX56. I am planning on changing them out myself but clearly the OEM and like OEM ones dont seem to hold up. I have managed to find some short tube headers that maintain the cats so it will not effect emissions. I have not seen anyone else try them yet so I guess im the guinea pig. While they are more expensive I hope that they prevent any future problems with the cats. here is a link to the headers.
American Racing Headers IQX56-12178300SHWC | INFINITI QX56 & Up Short System with Cats: 1-7/8in x 3in Headers, 3in Y-Pipe With Cats; 2012-2017
I will post the results and any troubles that arise.

primov8

Reaction score
@Hilbert15, those aren't short tube headers. What AR did was integrate their b-pipes into one with their Y pipe and installed in-line high flow converters. I'd be worried about the bung locations for the sensors. The downstream O2 sensor bungs are too far down the tube and the upstream O2 bungs are facing towards the motor. There are bungs on the collector themselves but then you'll end up having to extend the wiring for the sensors which can become a headache if not done correctly.

Last month, I installed JBA LT headers, Cajun HM b-pipes and Uprev to dial it all in. I personally didn't have any OE cat-converter related issues but these were mods that I eventually had wanted to do since I had done it before on my previous armada. The Z62, whether in its most aggressive tune or even on the ECO tune, the increased gains in HP/TQ throughout the power band was worth it.

Check out www.cajunbpipes.com.

Hilbert15

Reaction score
@primov8, I called LMP and they said It comes in 2 pieces the header and the Y-pipe. Other than a small mod to connect the stock pipe to the y pipe it should bolt right in with no issues and not through any codes. I will look into CajunB as I had a VK56 swapped xterra and CajunB did a nice job. How ever I could only find products for the armada/titan. Ik the new armadas are basically QX56s but is all the exhaust mounting the same locations?
Thanks for the info just dont want to order and have to return.

@primov8 What was your cost btw?

primov8

Reaction score
@primov8 What was your cost btw?
Those parts alone, roughly $1800. I did replace all the sensors and plugs and opted for Denso via Rock Auto. For the gaskets (manifolds and exhaust) I always stick with OE and bought them from infinitipartsdeal.net.

I’m also a regular on clubarmada.com and I had linked a fellow member’s DIY that is very helpful, along with an addendum I had added for our Z62s.

@primov8, I called LMP and they said It comes in 2 pieces the header and the Y-pipe. Other than a small mod to connect the stock pipe to the y pipe it should bolt right in with no issues and not through any codes. I will look into CajunB as I had a VK56 swapped xterra and CajunB did a nice job. How ever I could only find products for the armada/titan. Ik the new armadas are basically QX56s but is all the exhaust mounting the same locations?
Thanks for the info just dont want to order and have to return.
Nice! An swapped VK56 Xterra is definitely one that stands out.

Jeff has the jigs for the current Z62/Y62s so his b-pipes bolts right up.
Of course, JBA has two offerings with their long tube headers. I opted for the ceramic coated (6411SJS) but there is a raw stainless option too.

Hilbert15

Reaction score
sweet I will propably go with the JBA then. Did you have any trouble with the instalation? Did you have to modify anything to bolt up to the stock exhuast? I was thinking of going with the titanium ceramic. The Xterra was a blast I have full intention of doing a full titan swap but only made it to the VK56 swap, was a manual too! unfortunately I had to many vehicle and had to sell it.

primov8

Reaction score
Whether the stock catback or in my case with an aFe catback, the Cajun b-pipes bolt right on.
The only modifications I did were on the OE heat shields above the b-pipes. I had to trim an area on both heat shields above the downstream O2 sensors so that the end of the sensors wasn’t pressed against the shields. Before I drive out tomorrow, I’ll take additional pics.