anyone use anything that give better gas mileage

jrm5f2

QX56 MPG's

Hey just wanted to see if anyone has every gotten over the 20 mpg's when taking a trip. I was getting up to 30 mpg's on the last trip I took. I have a small the device that is plug into my OBDII port and I can see the statistic on my phone. Tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 58
That's coconuts! Did you reset your dashboard MPG readout and did that somewhat agree?

Perhaps that device is really giving you KPG instead of MPG? I would think that 19mpg would be realistic and 19 x 1.609 = awfully close to 30 :)

Later,
pjdavep

cbkqx56

i've gotten maybe 22-23 at best on a 250 mile highway trip. at best. going up and down hills usually puts me around 17-19. averaging 73mph i am 100% sure you did not only use 5 gallons of gas on that 150 mile trip, even as flat as florida is. when i go 70-80 on flat roads i probably get about 20-22. pretty sure your obd reader is incorrect with its estimate.

jrm5f2

I can only attest to what the computer says....lol. (That's coconuts!) ...lol. That's what I thought, but I thought I should post it anyway to see what others have done. I did another test this morning to see how off this thing would be going to work. It usually says that I get around 20-22mpg. So this morning while on my way to work I reset the computer on the QX. The results were this: The car mpg reading from the dash was 17.6mpg while the read out from OBDII was 22mpg.

Doing a little math here, grabbing some co-workers to help me...lol, we came up with a 20-21% difference or 4-5mpg difference in the two readings. Keeping with the same math and applying this to the recent 155-mile trip, we determine that there was a 5-7 mpg difference in the two calculations. Which would make the 30mpg more like 23-25mpg.

Which in my book is still impressive for a truck like this. I would like to make another note while traveling to Jacksonville it only uses up to half a tank of gas (keep in mind that gas gauge only registers 20 gallons and not the whole 26, so I thinked I use about 10-12 gallons of fuel). The reason why I bring this up is that I rented a jeep renegade and it used the whole tank of gas despite the rating of 31 highway(I know that Jeep has a smaller tank, I think about 12.7).

Again I know this is not a fair comparison, I am just using this to bring a little perspective to what I am trying to illustrate. Also just to give background on my truck I have had the timing chain, spark plugs, tires, Transmission oil, all gear oil, and filter changed within the last 6 months. So she has been tune up pretty good in the last year or so.

Again not saying this is definite, just giving my experience.

I forgot to add the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 52

Sjyokel

That's one of my favorite things about the beast. Drive it at 55mph on the highway? 18mpg. Drive it at 90mph on the highway? 18mpg. Throw on a roof rack? 18 mpg. City driving? 18mpg. It's not a vehicle that you feel a need to baby in order to get better mileage. Just get in and drive.

That's one of my favorite things about the beast. Drive it at 55mph on the highway? 18mpg. Drive it at 90mph on the highway? 18mpg. Throw on a roof rack? 18 mpg. City driving? 18mpg. It's not a vehicle that you feel a need to baby in order to get better mileage. Just get in and drive.
Yeah, I hate to break it to you but you're not getting remotely close to 18mpg during city driving.

Maybe you're kidding though? Forgive me if I missed the joke.

Shaun

In my 2013xq56 I’m only getting 10.3 mpg. I feel like it’s low. What can be done to increase it?

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
drive like a granny. :p

i got about 14 ish mpg on my 2012 fully loaded qx with the 22s and i kept my foot in the tank.

the car is heavy. its a v8. 5.6L. it's going to be thirsty.

Last edited:

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
Between now 4 year models of this engine we have averaged between 15.2-15.5. Those models include a 12,15,18 and now a 21. All AWD. Remarkably consistent. Super fun to drive.

imowinyo

I've had my 2014 QX 80, with 124k, for just over a year. I've never gotten over 11 mpg(city). During snow season I'm averaging less than 10 mpg. I look forward to a nice road trip to see what kind of hwy mileage I get.

BJams088

hi i am thinking about gettting and k&n filter install on my qx56 i talk to one of the k&n guy that sell then and he said it more for power then gas mileage anyone has one of there qx56 ? how is it does it make a difference, do you get better gas mileage or power ? any help would be great thanks.
Hello I did put the pre-designed K&N air filter on my 56 and I too found not pump in gas mileage and really to be honest not sure I see or feel a horsepower pump either!! That’s one for a trip on the dyno which has its cost too!

However, while we’re on this topic!! I live in the state of Arizona in America and have found on those long back country overlanding trips in the crazy sandy trips the original fiber board filters are equally as good if not better in keeping more nano fine dust out!! Just sharing, the K&N is a great filter it’s the oil attached to the filter which gives me a real sense of concern in those types of situations!! Our farmers in the middle of some of the craziness in those fields use filters even more focused on the nanotechnology to reduce dust and mechanical failures!!

However the best device I found at the moment with my 56 is using the cruise control more often every over 1/4 mile in length which supports my in town averages of 14.3 on the open range roads and freeways of 16.8 mpg’s has been my best at 84 mph!
QX56 MPG's

Hey just wanted to see if anyone has every gotten over the 20 mpg's when taking a trip. I was getting up to 30 mpg's on the last trip I took. I have a small the device that is plug into my OBDII port and I can see the statistic on my phone. Tell me what you guys think.

Hello folks. New to this forum. I'm thinking to get 2011, 2012 QX56 and was wondering about
it's real gas consuption. I'm aware its rated 14/20 but we all know that in
real life it's different. All feedbacks appreciated.
Hello I too just got the 56 and honestly it wasn’t for the mileage it’s been because if everything else this absolutely awesome truck can do!!

real time mpg from my experience is best over the freeways from Arizona to California at speeds in the 80’s have been 14.8 to 16.6 best in a four month ownership! In town my best had been 14.3 with using the cruise control more often has helped my averages!! I too am looking for the magic item in increasing our mpg! Try the cruise control and watch the center screen data as your averages go up! Good luck