anyone use anything that give better gas mileage

infinitiqx56

hi i am thinking about gettting and k&n filter install on my qx56 i talk to one of the k&n guy that sell then and he said it more for power then gas mileage anyone has one of there qx56 ? how is it does it make a difference, do you get better gas mileage or power ? any help would be great thanks.

moolman

The gas mileage claim is crap, just like the Tornado or whatever and the countless other gadgets and doodads that all claim increase gas mileage. Think about this logically, let's say the filter increases gas mileage by 1mpg. Don't you think every car manufacturer in the US that goes through crap to meet stringent CAFE requirements would either put a K&N in or something very similar. Especially, their high end cars where it won't make much difference in cost.

You should get a K&N only if you don't want to change filters so often. It works out because a K&N is about $50 and paper filters are $20. So in 2 years you start to save money. But remember that K&N needs to be cleaned too. I wouldn't wait until the 1 million miles that they claim but I cleaned mine in an old car at 100K and it was filthy.

The complaints about K&N about the oil leaking and ruining engines seem to be from when people clean and reoil and use way too much oil on it. If you do buy a K&N, keep your old dirty filter, so you can use it the one time you're cleaning, drying, and oiling the K&N which takes a couple of days.

moolman

If I paid $50 for something, I want it to work, I will it to work, I make it work. Every here of the psychological effect. Even if the K&N filter truely does make the HP go up 5HP just by using it. There is no way in hell that anybody can feel that difference in a car, period. You need a dyno machine, a real dyno machine and not your butt dyno. Where you feel that the car took off a split second faster because you just spent $50 on something. Anyway, point being you can't feel the difference of 5hp.

Get the K&N if you want but get it for what it is and not because of the hype. Read the negative things about it before you do.

I personally, don't buy K&N anymore, just because, no other reason.

mikefarm

I purchased the K&N only because it was $10 more than the paper disposable filter from Infiniti. I don't expect to get more HP or fuel efficiency that you can actually feel/see..

infinitiqx56

So I guess no one on here got and k&n on there qx56 I am getting and average of 14 mpg mostly city driving anyone getting better for city driving.

vladyshka13

Hello folks. New to this forum. I'm thinking to get 2011, 2012 QX56 and was wondering about
it's real gas consuption. I'm aware its rated 14/20 but we all know that in
real life it's different. All feedbacks appreciated.

TahoeDust

Mid 15s with a good mix of highway and city.

Dread_Parrot

mpg

Well, the lowest I have gotten was 16.5 last winter, but that had a lot of idling to warm up. It stays around 18.5 easily (kinda rural driving) and no problem to get 20+ on the highway if you go somewhere. I don't use it to run errands in town. You have to keep your foot out of it.
Mine is a 2011, 2 wheel drive, use Mobil One synthetic oil, 38 psi in the tires and real gasoline. No ethanol. Makes a difference. It's really a fuel efficient vehicle, for as heavy as it is and you still get good numbers in mileage.
Its not a 'Corolla' or 'equinox', if you want those numbers you need to shed a couple thousand pounds and the truck frame, drop the 400 foot-pounds of torque, drop the Heavy duty drive train and then roll the dice with the unibody.
It's cool
parrott

seoul76

Amazing to me how people who buy these type vehicles are so concerned about MPG or if they have to use premium gasoline, just saying......

seoul76

Wow dead parrot! Mobile One? I vowed never again to use mobile one after i got rid of the 750Li...lol

Love the power and towing of the beast! Love even more the interior!

cassiri

My mileage varies widely depending on hwy or city. I tend to do mostly city on a regular basis. It is consistently 11-13mpg. I have also done numerous road trips including climbing to 5,000 feet and extended highway runs at well above posted speed limits. These trips are almost alway 19-20mpg. If I were to drive 75mph or lower, it would easily do 21-22mpg.

I don't mind the mileage so much as how small the tank is. You know buying it that it's not a Prius, but being reminded with frequent fillups is not a plus.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
15.8 is about where it stays and that's with me driving 60/40 freeway/city streets. Long road trips have gotten over 17. On the freeways I drive 80 plus and I don't waste any time getting there so I'm sure there are many ways I could make it more fuel efficient. But I don't. Its too fun to drive. Lol.
Money matters to me however I came from a Tahoe that got 15 in 2wd. Flip it into auto and it dropped to 10. So I can't make an extra 100 hp, loads more torque, bigger vehicle, etc get worse fuel economy than I previously had.
MPG's are one the funniest things too. My other full size vehicle is a 3/4 ton chevy crew cab diesel. Always funny to pull up to the fuel stop and some guy driving either a ford or a dodge what kind of mileage I get. I tell them 18 mpg. They kind of smirk and tell me they are getting 22! Funny thing is you hear of all of the massive diesel trucks getting 22-26 mpg but they are stopping and getting fuel every time I do on the same road trips with their much larger tanks and more fuel economy.
Reason for bringing it up is people will lie about mpg. I guess it's a pride thing. To me it just makes you look stupid.

roughyear

so..... when's the diesel coming to the QX?

Gumbey

For me I do mostly city driving with the 1 per month 4 hr trip to another city. So I do about 90% city and 10 % highway. My mileage is not that great (of course) in town it's about 18.5 litres / 100 kms or about 12.71 MPG.

On the highway I can squeak out 19.60 MPG or about 12 litres / 100 kms and that is doing about 130km/h on mostly flat straight roads....Does it suck, yeah kinda, but as others have said trying to get high MPG out of this thing is really ridiculous.

It's setup is not really for that (ie: auto 4wd, massive weight, roof rack, oversized tires, high centre of gravity, box on frame etc). Just my opinion of course.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
well, I went out and fired up QX. I didn't want kcrebel think I was shootin' a line of cheit his way. :D
https://picasaweb.google.com/108329151245236425727/2011QX56?authkey=Gv1sRgCJHg8vj_0uqQDg#
I'll take one of the Dodge Ram CTD if needed,

If I am patient, 20 is achievable. Its dropped from 18.8 to 18.5 idling when I took the pic.
Enjoy boys
Parrott

Lol. Parrott you crack me up! Forgot to mention the diesel trucks that have the 35's on them that claim to get 20 mpg. I've only got 18's on my pickup. If I dropped back to the stock 16's I could get closer to 20 but it would be so ugly to look at. Lol.
I've got the stock 20's on my qx. I'm guessing tire size is the difference between the two since the qx isn't much lighter in weight and it is actually a smidge taller at the roof racks.