[2011+] QX56 new motor, timing chains, etc

grillmaster

Reaction score
Very good information .. thank you for sharing with all of us.

Marc, probably a good idea to make this thread a 'sticky' for future reference.

grillmaster

Reaction score
You are correct .. the QX56 Service and Maintenance Guide breaks it down as either a schedule 1 or 2 maintenance, depending on how the vehicle is used. Schedule 1 states oil changes at 3,750 and schedule 2 states 7,500. My son also runs synthetic oil in his 2011 QX56 with oil changed every 7,500.

Also, see Veloctys' post yesterday at 7:50am (The beast is finally back in my possession ) .. excellent information along with your post.

Last edited:

sisu145

Reaction score
Took my Q in for the windshield crack and the sound at startup. I played the clip of the sound from my phone for the service tech and he said right away before I even told him my thoughts...timing chain and guides.
Not sure if I can post the video. If anyone knows how, I will try.
At least under warranty.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
post to youtube and link here or upload to a cloud service like dropbox, google drive or skydrive, etc....

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
i had a 1991 passat GL. it had a timing BELT not chain. the belt was installed WRONG (I had a friend install it for me--tried to save a couple dollas...)

it made the SAME EXACT NOISE as in your video!!!!!!!!!!!! the tensioner cut through the belt and it broke within a few weeks of install. bent all of my valves. cost: over $2K just to replace the valves since it was a destructive designed engine.

so i agree this is a timing chain/tensioner issue....

roughyear

Reaction score
crazy sound... almost like the one Broomhilda makes when I forget her birthday or anniversary.

NWDriver

Reaction score
Infiniti Makes good on Timing Belt out of warranty

:) I pick up my QX56 next week with repairs covered by Infiniti. I was out of warranty with 82,000 miles on my 2011 QX56, but Infiniti stepped up to the plate and covered the $5,500 cost of replacing my timing chain. This is my second Infiniti and I am sold on the brand. They could have simply denied, but they backed up their brand. In addition the dealer was very helpful working as a go between Infiniti corporate and myself. Thank you Infiniti and Beaverton Infiniti.

roughyear

Reaction score
Good news.. now bank that $5500 in a rainy day fund as if you had spent it.

jgm2626

Reaction score
Glad to hear your timing belt issue was handled well! I am on my first Infiniti after years of driving Mercedes, Lexus, and Lincoln vehicles and I'm really hoping things go well with my QX.

To the poster with the YouTube video- thanks for posting the video of the sound your truck makes.

I was concerned based on the description that was given earlier of the sound. The sound from your video does NOT match what my 2011 QX (65K miles) makes during startup once in a while.

My truck sometimes makes a loud "WOOOSHH" fan/blower sound at start-up and it lasts for a few seconds and then dissipates. It almost sounds like when you enter an air conditioned building and they have one of those over the door air blowers installed to keep the cold air from escaping.

Since it happens infrequently and only lasts a few seconds I don't really give it much thought.

I service my truck religiously at the dealer and have the extended warranty so I'll be covered in case of any mishaps -- but I'm hoping this truck lasts at LEAST to 100K plus miles without any major headaches. With proper service and care, it really should.

Last edited:

sisu145

Reaction score
My QX is fixed and they will be checking everything out today to make sure all the systems are working. I will pick it up tomorrow. I will post the parts list of what was changed during the timing chain replacement for to use as a reference.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your timing belt issue

It's a timing CHAIN! Let's not confuse the two as people search the internet and if they find this thread and see "timing belt" used, it can cause confusion. so for the record the qx has a timing CHAIN! :D

My truck sometimes makes a loud "WOOOSHH" fan/blower sound at start-up and it lasts for a few seconds and then dissipates. It almost sounds like when you enter an air conditioned building and they have one of those over the door air blowers installed to keep the cold air from escaping.

Since it happens infrequently and only lasts a few seconds I don't really give it much thought.

this is completely normal! all of our trucks do this. its the BCM testing the fan system. i LOVE the sound! Sounds like a tractor trailer :D. but yes this is normal. also if your engine sits out in the sun and the engine room heats up whilst the car is off, once you turn over the engine the fan will sometimes rev up due to the heat buildup. so please dont worry about that.

I service my truck religiously at the dealer and have the extended warranty so I'll be covered in case of any mishaps -- but I'm hoping this truck lasts at LEAST to 100K plus miles without any major headaches. With proper service and care, it really should.

i too service the car on schedule. just had my 30K done this past weekend. didnt cost me a penny (Elite platinum maintenance plan :D).

these cars will last for many hundreds of miles. there is an armada forum (clubarmada.com) and there are cats over there that have 150K+ miles on their cars and they are still kicking. our cars are made in japan so you can rest assured they will last--sometimes longer than most marriages.. :D

jgm2626

Reaction score
Timing chain... Got it!

Thanks for the details on the start-up whoosh... Good to hear it is normal. Does sound pretty cool, but it can startle you if you don't know what it is.

Loving this truck so far... My local dealer is top-notch, too. I'd imagine they would certainly step up like the OP's dealer did with the timing chain concern.

Terrific forum, thanks to all who contribute and help out.

Dread_Parrot

Reaction score
>> "this is completely normal! all of our trucks do this. its the BCM testing the fan system. i LOVE the sound! Sounds like a tractor trailer, but yes this is normal. "

Excellent information Marc. I also wondered why sometimes the fan would rev on start-up, and quiet as a mouse other times. This explains it.
Thanks !
Parrott

sisu145

Reaction score
Finally was able to go get my Q. Sounds great! Big difference driving the Q and the G35x the loaned me. Love my Q.
I'm attaching the work order to show what was done and the parts list. Hope it helps someone.
Won't let me upload bmap's...

Last edited:

AGS2010QX56

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the timing chain issue applies to the 2010 QX56. Im not sure if anything changed mechanically between the two years

roughyear

Reaction score
Marc.... how much is the Elite platinum maintenance plan?? and how long is it good fer

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
at time of purchase, i paid 1200 for it. its for 3 years.

covers everything in that time frame. i think these are in the infiniti website also...

roughyear

Reaction score
was that $1200 for 3 years unlimited mileage or 3/36000 type coverage? if it's only 3/36, then where is the savings?? :confused: