• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2010 G37" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2010 G37" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Towing a travel trailer with 2008 qx56

Moesfu

I have read all the forums for towing a trailer.

I just wanted to ask the experienced if they would tow a travel trailer with a dry weight of 6670lbs and hitch weight around 700lbs with the heaviest equalizer weight distribution.

Thanks for the input.

QX56

Cent. Jersey
I had the pleasure of towing my 23' Boston Whaler for central Jersey to Cape Hateras, NC and back serveral times with my 2007 QX56.

I calculate the load to be around 7,000lbs. This vehicle is more than capable of handling loads in this weight range. Some points to be aware of include -

- Braking distance is increased. Leave twice as much room between you and the guy in front of you.
- Fuel mileage was 9.5mpg no matter what I tried, and this was on flat ground.
- When your rolling along at 65mph, you will be looking in the mirrors to make sure you are still towing.
- EZ-Pass (tolls) are based on how many axles you are towing.

I also towed a full sized landscapers trailer to Buffalo and back to pick-up my kids broken down car.

We traveled through cross-winds, rain, and snow. It never slowed us down. My only complaint was fuel. I calculated the 400 mile trip to cost around a dollar per mile.

Last edited:

Moesfu

Thanks qx56

Thanks for replying. Just looking for piece of mind when we buy a travel trailer. We just want to be safe for everybody.

mikefarm

I too regularly tow a 30' Jayco TT. Our dry weight is around 5500lbs, and we typically load up for long trips. I will say the QX has plenty of power for towing and I never have any concerns in rain/wind etc. I'll say about the same on gas mileage around 9.5/10.. she definitely sucks down the fuel when towing.

BAB

I bought my '11 QX specifically to tow a 2012 28' Airstream International. I have now taken two fairly long trips -- including one of around 2,000 miles. The QX is an awesome tow vehicle. When you push the "TOW" button, it obviously reprograms the shifting process, as you probably never get out of 5th (I checked by putting it into manual mode just to see if I was right, and I was). This obviously has a major impact on gas mileage. I averaged 11.5 MPG, and I was into the Shenandoah, Poconos, and Berkshires. Tongue weight on my trailer is 850, but it load equalizes...I'm pulling about 6,800 pounds of trailer the way I load it. A major factor is trailer hitch. I have a ProPride 3P (this sucker costs $2,800)....but ZERO sway and if a 50' semi blasts by at 75 MPH, you will NOT feel it in the steering wheel. I went absolutely first class with all of my tow vehicle/trailer/hitch, etc....I paid for it, but I'm most definitely getting my money's worth.

bud4ya

I also have a question on towing. I have towed my 2 place snowmobile trailer and 2 snowmobiles of course with no issues. My question is this year I am moving up to a 2-4 place trailer which will have 3-4 snowmobiles. My question is these 3-4 place trailers have brakes on them. If I plug in my adapter that has a 3 wire and a wire are brakes all ready wired up in the QX? Or do I have to do something special like a brake controller in the truck?

2007 QX56

Thanks

mikefarm

I also have a question on towing. I have towed my 2 place snowmobile trailer and 2 snowmobiles of course with no issues. My question is this year I am moving up to a 2-4 place trailer which will have 3-4 snowmobiles. My question is these 3-4 place trailers have brakes on them. If I plug in my adapter that has a 3 wire and a wire are brakes all ready wired up in the QX? Or do I have to do something special like a brake controller in the truck?

2007 QX56

Thanks
If your trailer has brakes you need to connect the round adapter 7 pin connection to it not the flat 4 connection and have a brake controller installed n the truck. Most of the local RV shops carry them, though they wouldn't touch the install on the Infinity that was the dealer for me..

bud4ya

I will check with dealer on cost

Thank you

If your trailer has brakes you need to connect the round adapter 7 pin connection to it not the flat 4 connection and have a brake controller installed n the truck. Most of the local RV shops carry them, though they wouldn't touch the install on the Infinity that was the dealer for me..