Squeaking noise from Rear break/drum 2015 QX80 Cost/Fix

Bender13

Reaction score
My 2015 (40K Miles on it) has developed a pretty noticeable squeaking noise at all times (especially when backing up or when applying the break but it is noticeable at all times). I am assuming it needs new breaks or rotors or drums (not sure what these have). Any idea the estimated cost and/or if this sounds like it is simply a break replacement? Thanks! :)

pjdavep

Reaction score
At all times, even when NOT braking?

These brake systems are pretty heavy duty. It's surprising you already need servicing. Do you tow or drive/brake heavily? My 2011 was well over 168k miles before I changed my pads. The rotors didn't even need to be turned.

Pad change is pretty simple for most shops, but you should be able to peek into the rear wheel and see if the pad levels look low. Your rotors should also be nice and smooth, no ridges like a record...a vinyl record....

Later,
pjdavep

Bender13

Reaction score
At all times, even when NOT braking?

These brake systems are pretty heavy duty. It's surprising you already need servicing. Do you tow or drive/brake heavily? My 2011 was well over 168k miles before I changed my pads. The rotors didn't even need to be turned.

Pad change is pretty simple for most shops, but you should be able to peek into the rear wheel and see if the pad levels look low. Your rotors should also be nice and smooth, no ridges like a record...a vinyl record....

Later,
pjdavep
Thank you for the response! I did run it around yesterday and it does make a noise that is more or less metal on metal rubbing or grinding. The pads did look ok and the rotors look pretty solid and smooth. Would it potentially be the calibers not working right?