QX80 horn issues

LDR63

I took my 2017 QX80 to the dealer yesterday for a routine visit. I explained to the service tech that the horn chirp that sounds when I lock the doors via the key fob sounds half dead or weak. He tested the horn in my steering wheel and said that horn sounded bad too. News to me, I thought it sounded fine. He then proceeded to tell me that there are three horns in my QX and in order to diagnose the problem the service department would need to perform a 3 hour diagnostics test to identify the problem. Fortunately, I didn't have the time for that. In hindsight, I'm not sure I believe him. Why can't they just replace the horn that is activiated by the key fob? I feel like he was trying to scam me out of an unnecessary expensive diagnotistics test/repair. He also mentioned that my 60k mile warranty is about to expire and that if I was going to do this test/repair I should do it soon before my warranty expires. Any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this???

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
probably was trying to upsell you on things.

the car has two mechanical horns and the piezo little speaker for confirmation tones. its possible your electric piezo speaker needs replacing. you can find the part by grabbing the service manual for the qx. its free online. you dont have to find 2017, you can find an earlier model year.

LDR63

I don't know. I haven't pursued it that far yet but thanks for bringing that point to my attention.