QX80 Dual Black Screens

champagneQX

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue... Driving our 2020 QX80 down the road it came up and said it was doing a software update and had this message, "to recover your system, please plug in a valid USB stick. Note: parking assistance is not available during update." Then it had the head unit ID at the bottom. But then both top and bottom screen went black. Music won't play, cameras don't work, can see the climate, nothing is working with them. Even after turning the car on and off it's still black. Is there a reset that we can do? Or is this something that's going to have to be done by the dealer?

When I had my 2014 Q50 sometimes random things would go blank but always came back if I restarted the car.

Any help is appreciated!

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
take it to the dealer. car is too new to have these issues. if there is no solution in the operator manual, this may be something only the dealer can restore.

jrm5f2

Reaction score
take it to the dealer. car is too new to have these issues. if there is no solution in the operator manual, this may be something only the dealer can restore.
Agreed! Sounds like the update "bricked" the system. Since you are still under the manufactures warranty get them to replace it. To answer your question I have not heard of this happening to anyone else.

champagneQX

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, have an appointment set for the dealership I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy fix before taking it in.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
car is so new there is not a lot of info on it.. so you may be the first.

keep the class updated on what you find out. :)

champagneQX

Reaction score
Well, I wish I had a specific fix but after several times driving the vehicle and turning it on and off it randomly started working again. Maybe the update was stuck?? Still going to bring it up next time it's at the dealer for service to see if they've dealt with that before.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
well happy to hear its kinda resolved. still, something's afoot since it that should not occur. happy to hear it will no impede driving!

Butterfly

Reaction score
Oddly, I am having this same issue. It just started today. I was hoping to find an easy fix on here as well. I will make an appointment at the dealership first thing Monday morning.

Cheko

Reaction score
This happened to me a month or two ago(2020 QX80). Went to the store and both screens went blank when I came back to the car. Happened on a Saturday and stayed like that until Sunday night. It is definitely a safety concern since so much info is communicated via the displays. I planned on driving to the dealer while it was occurring if it happened again. Please share any updates that may come up and I will do the same.

UukonJack

Reaction score
Been having the same issue; 2021; Upper and Lower screen randomly reset. Instrument gauge digital section not impacted - just the Nav screen and lower screen. Been to the dealer once and the applied the latest software update then sent us home.

Could this be a SD Card issue? Where is that located?

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
doubt an sd card would do this, and you will be hard pressed to find a lot of info on these newer models.

its a pain in the arse, but get the dealer on it. they need to fix the issue.

UukonJack

Reaction score
Dealer took it in for a few days. Diagnosed as a bad wiring harness behind the head unit. Replacement harness on order. Once I get the paperwork I'll give more details.

Anyone find a place to see and read the related TSB's for this vehicle?

borisrlopez

Reaction score
I drive a 2020 QX80 and have had navigation/screen issues since day one. vehicle has been in dealership more than 6 times. Screens turning on/off, navigation not showing the right location. Long story short radio has been replaced 3 times, antenna replaced, tracking sensors replaced, computer update done, hardness(not main) replace and Infiniti cant find the answer. There are many issues like this but Friday Infiniti is buying my vehicle back after months of issues. They are fully aware that there are issues with navigation/screen.

Skazi

Reaction score
2021 Qx80 was driving last night without any problems. . Started This morning and both screens are completely dark. Any suggestions before I take it to dealership?

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
take it to the dealership. nothing else you can do. there is no way you should have to troubleshoot ANYTHING on a brand new car. i know its a pain in the caboose, but as you see others have had this issue.

SarahG

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a 2021 QX80 with 3500mi. Twice now, about 3 hours into a road trip, the display for the sirius channels freezes. I can still change the channels but the main display doesn’t change. I can see what channel I’m listening to if I use the little display behind the steering wheel (the one that can be switched between fuel economy, tire pressure, warning lights, radio stations, etc). About 30 min after the radio display freezes, the nav display and route guidance goes nuts—the map shows me driving in circles, the turn-by-turn feature turns off, I can’t cancel the route and re-load it. I assumed these were connected issues. When I start the truck the next day the problem is fixed, which is great, but I don’t know why it is happening at all. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a “control-alt-shift”/“turn it off then turn it on again” kind of quick fix I can do, or am I doomed to do the dance with the dealership that loves to say “gosh, we’ve never seen anything like that…….”? Thanks!

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
there's been few people with this new model with those issues. its clearly software (bugs) related to me. keep on the dealer about it to get them to fix it or buy the car back and go with another one or move on to a different car maker.

krwallis

Reaction score
Mine did this on my 2017 Limited the day we got home from buying it in Texas (we live in Oklahoma). I disconnected the negative post on the battery, counted to 10 and placed it back. I've almost had it a month now and it has not happened again. Maybe try disconnecting the battery if yours does it again. Sometimes these computers just need a "reboot". Hope this helps.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
sounds like the 2021 models have some bugs. im on another armada/qx forum and there are several owners who are experiencing this on armadas as well as qx's...

qx802021

Reaction score
Agreed! Sounds like the update "bricked" the system. Since you are still under the manufactures warranty get them to replace it. To answer your question I have not heard of this happening to anyone else.
It has to us w our bran new 2021!