• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2010 G37" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2010 G37" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

QX reliability (potential new users thread)

jamieb

what are your thoughts about the 2004 infiniti qx56?

would i be better off getting fx35 or fx45?
i have owned and worked on plenty of vq30de and vq35de's so i know a lot about them. but what about the 4.5L(vk45de) and 5.6L (vk56de)?? are they as good as the vq's (jd power awards every year)? i have had several maximas and have a qx4 now. it is not big enough.
fx35 and fx45 dont have much back seat room either.
qx56 has a lot of back seat room

baddogz28

Yes, you would be better off with an FX.

I do know that the 04 Armada and QX56 have grossly undersized brakes that were a source of very, very poor reliability ratings for those cars in their first year. Statistically, one of the least reliable vehicles ever made.

I would pass.

Richardtx

Hi, almost decided on purchasing the qx80. It is a very nice vehicle. I have done a bit of research. However, could not find much info on reliability. Really appreciate if the owners could shed some light. Was on MB 450 forum briefly, and was horrified about the reliability issues they have to deal with.

Thanks a lot.

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
well, what did you find out? no news is good news right?

there is also another thread on a similar subject. these types of threads crop up every couple/few months... ;D

these cars are made in japan and are very reliable. ive been a nissan suv owner since 2006 and have had 3 nissan suvs (nissan makes the Q so it's included in that) and they have all been reliable.

you are on a pro nissan/infiniti forum after all ;P

what specific areas are you concerned about?

ask specific questions as opposed to "is it reliable" and you should get more direct answers.

welcome.

Dread_Parrot

very reliable

Yes, very reliable. No issues so far. No 'EMP' yet either:D, so that helps ! LOL
Like Marc said, built in Japan = reliable.
I like the attention to detail with the way its designed and built. Its solid.
I would buy it a gain if I had too.
Have a good one
Parrott

Richardtx

Thanks for the feedbacks!

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks. Ordered black on black, awd, all the options. Plan to pick up this weekend.

Was worried about the reliability of the options. Typically, the more options, i.e., more complicated, more prone to problems.

roughyear

Only thing that will drive u nuts is the Navigation voice recognition.... I swear this thing thinks I speak as if I've had a stroke, as it never gets my spoken commands correct, even when I'm yelling and red in the face...... or wait, maybe I did have a stroke and that's what I'm really sayin'!!!

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
the navi system is fine once you follow a few tips.

set up the training mode. do it with the car off and no outside noises. the system will learn the more you talk into it.

dont YELL!!!

speak in a conversational tone and pace. dont sound like a robot.

use "zero" and not "oh" when speaking numbers

wait at least 2.5 seconds when its your turn to speak your command.

ive been using this system since 2008 and once you go through the learn modes and learn to just speak normally, you will be just fine.

the latest nav update seems to tighten up the system performance.

not to derail this thread as we have talked about this in another thread, your mic may be in need of replacing.

what i like about the system is if you have the HVAC fan speed on high, it will reduce it so it can better pick up your voice. i am sure other factory systems do this but its still a nice touch.

Silverback

I have trouble with the voice commands also.

But then I have a very, very deep voice and it's loud. Or so my wife tells me.

I have found that if I speak in a half whisper it generally works.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
Enjoy! We have had our black on black 2012 for a little over a year and are loving it!! Would definitely buy another in a heartbeat. No problems to date with just under 40k.

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
+1 KCREBEL!

i so love driving this sucka around. and i HOPE i get into traffic--which is not hard in LA--so i can enjoy the ride and comfort so much more...... :D

taking the exit ramp circles like a champ with the hbmc and 22 inch wheels... maaaaaan this car is HOT! ;p) (<--- waaay wicked smiley)

2012 all trim options, 7 seater, AWD 22 inch wheels black on black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Richardtx

got the QX80 this weekend. the dealership could not find a vehicle with all the accessories I wanted. so they will put them (kickplate, cross bars, ss real bump plate) on when they get them. otherwise got what I wanted, black on black, awd, all trim options.

had a chance to drive around. yes, it is a really nice vehicle. my younger son had a lot of fun exploring the vehicle. the adaptive cruise control very useful - I can imagine using it all the time when travelling on highway. the sound is fantastic. hooked up an ipod to it, and can access all the music and songs you want to listen to. the Ipod looks like will be staying there forever.

there are just so many things that are so nice to innumerate. definitely no regret.

unfortunately, since the vehicle is so tall, it caught on the pull-down string of garage door openner, and made a few dents to the chrom piece right above the driver-side door. look to replace it - hopefully not too expensive.

other than that, it looks perfect! besides, Texan won! Aggies lost but Jonny looked fine....

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
i use the ICC aka adaptive cruise all the time. i just sit back and relax. even in stop and go traffic, i have the nanny functions on (IBA, etc) so i just hover my foot over the accelerator and let the car brake for me. :D

what I like about the iba and those features is when it senses you car not going to slow down and you have your foot on the accelerator, it will "bump" the pedal back to alert you and if you dont respond it will slow down--the chicks love seeing the car do these things on its own! ;)

Gumbey

It will brake for you right down to a complete stop, but it won't hold you there. It gives a bit of a longish beep and then the brakes release!

I never used to use the DCA button on the steering wheel until recently. Wow it is awesome. I just wish it could default to ON and not OFF.

Kcrebel

Tupelo, MS
unfortunately, since the vehicle is so tall, it caught on the pull-down string of garage door openner, and made a few dents to the chrom piece right above the driver-side door. look to replace it - hopefully not too expensive.
So your roof rack hit the pull down string and it dented the chrome piece above your driver's door?
I'm not following you on this one. Would you mind explaining this?

Reason being I had to tie up the pull down string on our garage door opener as well so it wouldn't drag across the roof and into the roof rack cross bars. Took about 6 inches of the rope up and all is well.

Richardtx

Sorry, The pull-down string got in between the door and driver seat. When you closed the door, it got caught in the door. Since there is a plastic piece at the end of the string, it dented the aluminum piece when the door closed.

I got the aluminum piece replaced, and cost me about $200 - not too bad.

Put around 1000 miles on it. I am getting around 16 mpg for mixed driving. Looks like infiniti has not fixed the gauge for fuel tank. Fuel gauge is definitely non-linear. It quickly shows half empty at around 100 mile. I can only add 20 gal or so when it got to red, empty line. I read a lot of discussions in a separate thread on this issue. Looks to me they have not fixed this issue on qx80. Only a minor annoyance though.

I like DCA and ACC a lot. As long as there is no traffic lights, i turn on acc. It practically drives itself! Very useful.

I am a bit puzzled by the sale guy trying to talk me out of those package options. I view those packages as essential, and glad i insisted having those.

So far, very satisfied. Do not know how well it will hold up.