New here with a 2012 M56 S and P0087 low fuel rail pressure

C6Joe1957

Reading the threads here on the P0087 DTC's. I'm having a intermittent issue where the engine is running smoothly as a sewing machine and then suddenly, it starts "chugging". It happens as I'm driving home and placing it in reverse to back into my garage. When I get out of the car my garage smells like gasoline with smoke residue also. Scanner displays P0087 (low fuel rail pressure), P0300 (random misfire detected and P0304 (cylinder #4 misfire).

I first replaced the high pressure fuel pump plunger/bucket. The original bucket was not damaged and the cam lobe looked normal without any visible wear and seemed to be getting good lubrication. I cleared the codes, cycle started it 2-3 times and the engine ran normal again for about 500 miles and the issues comes back.

Then I replaced the relay on the left side panel under the hood. Cleared the codes and the engine ran normal again for about 500 miles and the issues comes back again.

This engine had the timing chain recall performed on it at about 85K, it now has 120K. Any thoughts would be surely appreciated.