Hi im a new (used 2014) QX80 owner with issue within 20 min of driving truck home!

Sandilee123

Signed papers and when i drove home & pulled into driveway, TWO ISSUES occurred! 1st was surging while a low rpms while turning into inclined driveway (normal driveway incline of very slight incline), 2nd was a large thump/single clunk sound when putting truck into and out of gear into reverse. The clunk happened twice after i tried to reenact the scinario but only on an incline, not on flat ground. I'm clearly upset and searching forums looking for confirmation that its not a transmission issue. Came across many posts saying some have even had transmission replaced because of this surging issue but their truck still does it! Klumck I read has subduing to do with flywheel grabbing.

Signed papers and when i drove home & pulled into driveway, TWO ISSUES occurred! 1st was surging while a low rpms while turning into inclined driveway (normal driveway incline of very slight incline), 2nd was a large thump/single clunk sound when putting truck into and out of gear into reverse. The clunk happened twice after i tried to reenact the scinario but only on an incline, not on flat ground. I'm clearly upset and searching forums looking for confirmation that its not a transmission issue. Came across many posts saying some have even had transmission replaced because of this surging issue but their truck still does it! Klumck I read has subduing to do with flywheel grabbing.
Hi there. Sorry to hear about the issue. Would you please keep us posted as to what the problem turns out to be?

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
don't get caught up in all the stuff you may read on the internet.

the CLUNK you feel/hear when shifting out of gear on a incline is normal. use your e brake first, then pur car in park.

the surging/rpm revving when turning up into a driveway on an incline could be low tranny fluid and/or improper fluid.

did you buy from a dealer or 3rd party? do you have any maintenance records on the car?

these cars are solid (ive had 3 suvs from nissan/qx) but are only as good as the last owner(s).

in cases like this its always best to get a mechanic you trust to do a look-see over the car and find out any issues.

since you just purchased it, and if from a dealer, take it back and note your concerns.

NSR

its a hard shift if you have not used ebrake due to size and weight of truck. i had surging in rpms they redid my engine control unit fo r idling still revs high to 1000 now told its due to power steering wheel which they are going to change under warranty will see ho wit changes. after that. also don tbe alarmed as Ebrake goes all the way in before it applies i was like wth lol thats normal too. i got my rear pads changed at 40700 km

Sandilee123

its a hard shift if you have not used ebrake due to size and weight of truck. i had surging in rpms they redid my engine control unit fo r idling still revs high to 1000 now told its due to power steering wheel which they are going to change under warranty will see ho wit changes. after that. also don tbe alarmed as Ebrake goes all the way in before it applies i was like wth lol thats normal too. i got my rear pads changed at 40700 km
So as far as a follow up on my truck situation. I agree im on an inclune its important for me to use the emergency brake. That solved the bang sound. The other problems I was experiencing was due to truck being in 4WD (4H) when it was released to me. That very important factor was missed by the salesman, the 1st mechanic and my husband and myself. Mechanic #2 saw issue in seconds and 5 minutes later i was driving a compleyely different truck! Even since my truck drives like a beauty and im feeling so much better. Thanks for the replies to extend the help and knowledge. Love this forum.