Engine Failure in 2014

philkel

Reaction score
We have a 2014 with 90,000 miles. Took it to the dealership for blowing white thick smoke out of the tailpipe. Dealer is telling us that the entire engine needs to be replaced because of sludge build-up. They are trying to say it is from lack of maintenance. We have owned the car 18 months. The car was JUST at the dealership 2 months ago when they replaced the transmission. We didn't even have any problems, just told us we were getting a new transmission. The dealer changed the oil at that time. How was there not a problem detected then?? I am so confused as to how a 3 year old high end car can need a new transmission and a new engine?? I love this car and would love to hear from other owners.

primov8

Reaction score
Unless your engine is showing signs of sputtering, struggling performance, CEL on the dash, overheating, I highly doubt the engine on your QX60 needs to be replaced.

First thing to do is replace the PCV valve. On the VQ35DE motor, its located on the valve cover facing the firewall, passenger side. The part itself is about $20 from Nissan/Infiniti but not too difficult of a DIY job and its a part usually overlooked by most.
A clogged or dirty PCV valve helps increases the chances of sludge building up inside the valve covers, which Nissan's valve covers are notoriously know for.

If the smoke continues, inspect the spark plugs and check for oil contamination. On the VQ35DE engine, it does require removing the intake manifold to get to the valve cover/(3) spark plugs facing the firewall. The spark plug tube gaskets on the valve covers do wear out over time and eventually, oil will find its way onto the plugs. Unfortunately, Nissan doesn't sell these gaskets by themselves; you have to buy new valve covers when replacements are needed.

Before my QX80, I had a 04 Armada that had the notorious white smoke out of the tailpipe. I ended up replacing the valve covers because 2 of the spark plug tube gaskets were worn and problem solved.

plaroud

Reaction score
Same issue with our 2017, you are not alone. It happened to someone else while we were AT the dealer for the same problem. I cannot find my records (print outs) as we moved. The dealers records are all f'ed up, they are saying we did 17k miles in 1 month!!!

I know your original post was a while ago but interested on what your outcome was.

Thanks

Gounder

Reaction score
I have 2017 qx60. Tail pipe smoke After the dealer changed oil. He blames on sticky oil cap and gunk in engine. He wants another oil change within 1500 miles. He thinks engine has to be replaced. If dealer is not smart enough, I will try the PCV valve replacement. Any advice would be helpful.