E-PSF tank dry

2015QX60

Reaction score
I have been having vibration issues with my QX60. It started to happen couple months ago. Most times it is not very noticeable, or maybe not vibrating at all. It is most noticeable when I am at a stoplight or stop sign; but when the vibration intensity is high, it can also be felt while driving on city streets. I would say the vibration is noticeable about 25% of time. It sounds like this throaty humming noise. Appears to be coming from the front. I can feel it in my steering wheel and also my son, who often props his feet on the passenger dashboard, feels it.

I took it to my local Infiniti dealer, and they could not pinpoint the issue. In fact, they barely noticed the vibrations since they could not replicate it where the vibration was intense. Then after further inspection, they noticed that the E-PSF tank is "completely dry". So they filled it up and then told me that it seems to run much better.

So I have 2 questions.

What does the E-PSF (Electric Power Steering Fluid) do? Couldnt find an explanation on the web.

Can a lack of E-PSF cause the vibration described above?

One last thing, I noticed that the vibration tends to be more intense when the defrost is turned on. Although when there is no vibration, activating the defrost does not increase the vibration. It only happens when the vibration is already being felt.