Dealer wants 4,000

Shesavet

(Insert hand wave-I need help over here) I have a 2017 QX80. I feel a slight hesistation (flutter) between the 30-40 mph. The car performs perfectly after fluttering. According to the dealer, there are no DCIS computer codes indicating the cause. The mechanic BELIEVES the torque converter MAY need to be replaced, but the transmission must first be removed. The estimate is 4,000 for parts and labor. Please let me know if you experienced this issue. I do NOT want to pay 4,000 for work that may not fix the problem. HeLp

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
did you try a different dealer? did you try to find a 3rd party shop who knows nissan?

have you had someone else hook up a scan tool to see if any codes were pulled?

nothing we can do over the internet because we cant drive your car or see it, so best anyone can do is speculate.

did you buy the car new or is it used? what is the mileage? do you have or did you keep the maintatende records on it?

if its high mileage, it could be plugs, coil packs, dirty maf, high pressure petrol pump, faulty cats and/or o2 sensors... on and on and on....

Shesavet

did you try a different dealer? did you try to find a 3rd party shop who knows nissan?

have you had someone else hook up a scan tool to see if any codes were pulled?

nothing we can do over the internet because we cant drive your car or see it, so best anyone can do is speculate.

did you buy the car new or is it used? what is the mileage? do you have or did you keep the maintatende records on it?

if its high mileage, it could be plugs, coil packs, dirty maf, high pressure petrol pump, faulty cats and/or o2 sensors... on and on and on....
First, thank you for responding. I purchased it used (in 2018). I had zero issues until now. The car has almost 85,000 miles now. The Nissan dealer rep said they had limitations when it comes to working on Infinity vehicles, so no luck there. I will take it to a third party mechanic. I just don't see myself shelling out 4,000 for "possibly' fixing the problem.

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
nissan make infiniti. i see no reason why they cant other than liability.

anyway, is there not an infiniti dealer near you?

i hear you about the cost. most of it is labor and dealing with the engine/tranny is going to be expensive regardless.

Shesavet

nissan make infiniti. i see no reason why they cant other than liability.

anyway, is there not an infiniti dealer near you?

i hear you about the cost. most of it is labor and dealing with the engine/tranny is going to be expensive regardless.
Yes, I brought the car to an Infinity dealer.

primov8

NYC
I wouldn't give a $.01 based on some half-ass mechanic's assumption that MAY be the issue you're having with your truck. If you have to go to an Infiniti/Nissan service dept., request a tech and even the service manager to accompany you on a test drive while they have Consult plugged into your truck. From there, they can read/retrieve live data to look for anything out of spec when the issues you've mentioned actually happens. Even an independent shop with a full range scan tool can do the same thing.