Checking oil level

Liz B.

I bought an 03 i35 and was warned they tend to burn oil. Using Pennzoil 5/30 high mile synthetic. Checked level this am on cold car, level ground. After wiping dipstick and reinserting several times, it comes out clean. Oil change was 3-4 weeks ago, got a top off right before I bought it a week ago. Have driven @ 200 miles. Could it possibly be that low that I can’t even get a reading on the stick? I see similar questions posted in many threads but no real answers ... anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? Better oil? I read somewhere someone changed to 0/40 and it stopped burning through oil so fast.

Roger qx4

I bought an 03 i35 and was warned they tend to burn oil. Using Pennzoil 5/30 high mile synthetic. Checked level this am on cold car, level ground. After wiping dipstick and reinserting several times, it comes out clean. Oil change was 3-4 weeks ago, got a top off right before I bought it a week ago. Have driven @ 200 miles. Could it possibly be that low that I can’t even get a reading on the stick? I see similar questions posted in many threads but no real answers ... anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? Better oil? I read somewhere someone changed to 0/40 and it stopped burning through oil so fast.
I use 5/30 never low.

Edzo

I owned a 2002 for 16 years and gave it my brother in law and he drove it for 2 years never had an oil leak nor burn oil. I still own my 2004 I35 from new and never had the oil issue.

Edzo

2 simple things to do is check to see if there is a
Puddle of oil under the car or oil in the engine compartment.
if you start and drive the car and you see dark smoke coming out of the exhaust you know it’s an internal seal Allowing oil to go where it shouldn’t. A good mechanic could advise you based on your inspection. In the mean time keep topping off the oil using a high mileage appropriate oil and DONT OVER FILL it could seize the engine. High compression engines will do that.