Advice Needed - 2011 Convertible

2011G37

Reaction score
Brand new member here. I have a 2011 G37 Convertible with 60k miles. Rarely drive it in the winter. Sweet ride. The retractable top is dying a fast death. Just took it into the dealer and he said the parts to replace it are $15k and the labor is another $2k - $3k. Needless to say I may make this car a full time hardtop. That said, is there any reasonable alternatives? Should I just start talking to local mechanics, etc. (I live in suburban Philadelphia.) Any thoughts appreciated.

Guymen305

Reaction score
Convertibles have there bunch of problems but, never eard of problems who needs to replace the complete top mecanism. Most known problems are side flaps gears who break down after couple years( easy fix by replacing gears (diy)with metal ones....i got some!
In rarest cases, the hydraulic pump need to be replace or refurbish. Other than that, there are only minors problems who can occur.

Maybe if you explain symptoms or be more specific on what's going on with your top...it can help to diagnose.

2011G37

Reaction score
Starts to close and then stalls ... they gave it the quick once over and said 100% replacement. Sometimes it will close 100% and other times 50% ... sometimes 0%. (I do not know what I do not know!)