Accidentally drove in 4H for 4 hours @ 75mph, now noisy at low speeds

kentqx80

Reaction score
Terrible timing, but we accidentally put the car in 4H and drove on the highway for 250 miles before realizing it. When we pulled into the gas station we noticed the steering was really tight and grinding. Finally noticed it had been in 4H and disengaged immediately, but now I think something might be wrong. Just changed the oil in the front and rear differential — rear was fine but front was black as night.

When I slow to a stop in 2H (Auto mode) the noise resembles the sound like a vehicle with big off road tires.

My question is…would replacing the front differential likely be the thing to do? Did I damage that part? Or is there another thing to consider?

Thanks.

primov8

Reaction score
You did the right thing in draining/filling the differentials. If you didn't notice any metallic flakes, shaving or particles in the drained differential fluids, next is a drain & fill for the transfer case. Nissan's t-case fluid is exorbitant considering they don't even manufacture any of their "Nissan" branded fluids. I've been using Ravenol products; gear oil and t-case fluids for the last 100K+ miles. For the t-case, its TF-0870/DTF-1 and a single 1L bottle will suffice.

kentqx80

Reaction score
You did the right thing in draining/filling the differentials. If you didn't notice any metallic flakes, shaving or particles in the drained differential fluids, next is a drain & fill for the transfer case. Nissan's t-case fluid is exorbitant considering they don't even manufacture any of their "Nissan" branded fluids. I've been using Ravenol products; gear oil and t-case fluids for the last 100K+ miles. For the t-case, its TF-0870/DTF-1 and a single 1L bottle will suffice.
Thank you. I did notice some metallic flakes. Not a huge amount but there were indeed some. Probably enough to make a dime if molded together.

I will grab some ravenol and follow your suggestion on the transfer case.

primov8

Reaction score
If this was the first time the differentials were ever serviced, then nothing to be worried about. Metallic shavings or particles are normal, all part of wear and tear but larger pieces or so is something to look out for. Since synthetic gear oil isn't a wallet buster, just for peace of mind, I'd do another drain and fill, maybe after 300+ miles and inspect the fluid thats drained.

primov8

Reaction score
Tough to say unless you can get the truck lifted off the ground and have someone shift into gear and try to pinpoint the location of the noise.