4WD error light on gauge cluster. Anyone ever experience it?

xploded

Reaction score
As the title says: I have the 4WD in amber error light on the gauge cluster. Anyone ever experience it, or know what to do about it? Thanks

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
you want to give us more info?

mileage?
did you just buy the car or have you had it a while? did you buy it used or new?
any CELs?
what year trim model?
did you tow anything or have you had the car in 4X4 recently?
whats the maintenance on it?
any strange noises? does the cvar drive differently?
anything else you can think of that would help those over the internet to speculate?

there could be a few thigns thats wrong. can you get an obd scan tool and check for any codes?

xploded

Reaction score
you want to give us more info?

mileage?
did you just buy the car or have you had it a while? did you buy it used or new?
any CELs?
what year trim model?
did you tow anything or have you had the car in 4X4 recently?
whats the maintenance on it?
any strange noises? does the cvar drive differently?
anything else you can think of that would help those over the internet to speculate?

there could be a few thigns thats wrong. can you get an obd scan tool and check for any codes?
86,xxx miles
I've had the car for 4 years. It was a year old when I purchased it.
no CEL's
2015 QX80. Cant remember what the trim is called. Not limited
Haven't towed or used 4x4 in nearly a year
I do all my own maintenance, but have never touched anything with the 4wd system
No noises. Doesn't drive different. It's definitely in 2wd, and will not shift due 4wd due to the light.
I've been in the service manual, and my first thing to try is a transfer case fluid level check.

I have an obd scan tool. Didn't think to plug it in since no CEL, but I'll check.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
but have never touched anything with the 4wd system

you'd be surprised how something on another wire harness that you handle to replace a part or do maintenance on, can cause something else downstream to fail. the CANBUS system is a serial communication network, with redundancy, and all the data travel through each sensor. if a harness or wire is open or loses continuity in that data stream, this can affect other things, so if you have done some maintenance recently, may be worth an eyeball check to make sure wiring is nice and tight and there are no bent or frayed wires.

Didn't think to plug it in since no CEL, but I'll check.

may not be anything, but since you've the tool , worth a try.

i take it you can at least PHYSICALLY move the switch into the 4WD mode yea? its just that the system will not engage? did you check the relays in the IPDM?

xploded

Reaction score
Hello.
I had the same issue recently and it was because my battery was weak. I have experienced it twice before on my 2010 armada as well.

A new battery fixes it. :)
Hmmm. Battery is only a couple months old…. I’ll check it out. Thanks

you'd be surprised how something on another wire harness that you handle to replace a part or do maintenance on, can cause something else downstream to fail. the CANBUS system is a serial communication network, with redundancy, and all the data travel through each sensor. if a harness or wire is open or loses continuity in that data stream, this can affect other things, so if you have done some maintenance recently, may be worth an eyeball check to make sure wiring is nice and tight and there are no bent or frayed wires.

may not be anything, but since you've the tool , worth a try.

i take it you can at least PHYSICALLY move the switch into the 4WD mode yea? its just that the system will not engage? did you check the relays in the IPDM?
I replaced the fan clutch about a month ago. Had to disconnect the harness there. I can give that a check. Yes, you can move the 4wd switch, but it won’t do anything because of the amber warning. I’m not familiar with IPDM. Another thing… sometimes the warning doesn’t come on right away and takes a few minutes to come on.