2012 QX56 Will not accelerate

Gnjshope

Reaction score
on Way home from work and QX56 quit accelerating.

will run and drive at about 1k rpm and around 10-15 mph.

when applying throttle engine, rpm will start up and engine will buck/lunge at about 1500 rpm.

tach gage goes to 2000 and then returns to 1000. Repeats when trying to throttle.

when letting off throttle, engine will quickly rev up 2500 and then return to idle.

Tried restart multiple times and also after 1hour. No good still. Hope to get OBD reader on it tomorrow.

Any help appreciated.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
pulling codes is the logical first step. right now its speculation.

can try to help, but need more info.

what mileage?
did you just buy the car used? if not have you had it since new?

have you had the timing chain recall done?

if recently purchased, do you have maintenance records on it?

do you have the HBMC installed?

are you having any other electrical issues (car wont crank up right away, engine just turns over and acts like its not getting petrol)?

did this JUST happen today or has it been happening over time and just got worse today?

can you now repeat this each time in different conditions (uphill, dowhill, cold engine vs warm engine)?

again codes are helpful but some ideas:

faulty o2/cats (could be a leak at the cat)
compression should be checked
coil packs, plugs
battery, alternator, ground straps and battery cables
high pressure petrol pump
dirty MAF
pcv valves
VVEL issue
wiring issue with a sensor
camshaft sensor/crank sensor
ECM issue
faulty CANBUS wiring causing potential false data to sensors

again just speculation until you can get it on the bench to test...

phillip5690

Reaction score
That happened to my hoopty once as well, and it ended up being the ecm as well as the harnes that need to be changed. Hope that’s not the case for you.

Gnjshope

Reaction score
Response to Marctronix

I will try my best to answer your questions:

VIN #: JN8AZ2NE9C9017569

PULLING CODES: What OBD reader would you recommend for the Infiniti vehicles? Is a generic one good enough or is there one that works better for Infiniti.

Mileage: ~137k
Purchase History:
Purchased in February of 2019. I do not know history of machine: Going to ask dealership for service records

Timing Belt Recall:
I have read about the timing belt recall? and do not have a definite answer of whether there was an actual recall or not. When I asked dealership, they stated that there was not a recall, but an extended warranty for the timing chain, but again i do not know history yet.

HBMC: Not sure if it has it, I think it does but not sure what is the features to look for to see if it has it . I will learn, but do not know now.

Last Month Vehicle History:
Month Ago:
-Wife started complaining about whining in front engine compartment. Whining would occur during start up and then phase out after about 5-10 minutes of run time. No performance issues just noise.
3 weeks ago
-Whining still there and getting a little worse. No actual performance issues yet.

2 weeks ago
-Whining getting worse and lasting longer.
Started "google" investigation and found out about timing belt/chain issues.
-First performance or run issues.
>>>>Wife came home from work and vehicle was not running properly. IBA light on and one other light on. (sorry can't remember) vehicle would lunge/buck when trying to accelerate. We stopped vehicle and started again to go to church. Same responses, vehicle lunged and would not accelerate.
>>>>Restarted vehicle and noticed during start up that the start cycle went as follows: cranking sound small lull like no cranking then cranked. Same results, engine bucked and would not accelerate. IBA and other light on.
>>>>Restarted again same thing. Limped back to house :<3miles drive.
>>>>Restarted again: cranked fine and we went to church. no performance or run issues. No IBA light or other lights.

1 week ago:
- Went on vacation approximately 8hr trip. whining still present
-On way back from Vacation running down interstate and vehicle started lunging nd would not stay accelerated. Kept feathering it to stay running but had flashers on, after about 2 miles vehicle corrected and started running correctly and made it all the way home. \

Random: I guess by now you are wandering why hasn't he taken it in? I am the guy that buys a vehicle without a dealership near me (less than 90 miles)

Back to story.
Did test this past Tuesday to run vehicle in morning after setting over night without serpentine belt and still had whining. Stopped before 1 minute.

Yesterday :

Headed to church from work and vehicle started fine, but after about 3 miles the vehicle went into surge/lunge mode (engine really jerking) after multiple restarts and waiting for 1 hour to restart and after over night set the vehicle still exhibits the issue even in park , drive , reverse , and neutral.

Just received codes and got the following:

3 codes:
p0011/$07E8: Cam shaft Position
P0300/$07E8 random multiple misfires
P0420/$07E8 CAT eff bank 1
P0430/$07E8 Cat Eff bank 2

One more note after reading P0011:
oil change is past due. with reminder for oil change and filter change. Probably close to 10k on oil and filter.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
P0011

Low or Dirty Engine Oil
Faulty Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve
Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve harness is open or shorted
Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (POS)

P0300
Faulty spark plug (s)
Faulty ignition coil (s)
Clogged or faulty fuel injector (s)
Intake air leak
Fuel injectors harness is open or shorted
Fuel Injectors circuit poor electrical connection
Ignition coils harness is open or shorted
Ignition coils circuit poor electrical connection
Insufficient cylinders compression
Incorrect fuel pressure

P0420
Faulty Three-way Catalyst Converter Bank 1
Exhaust Tube
Intake Air Leaks
Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor
Faulty Fuel injector(s)
Leaking Fuel Injector (s)
Faulty Spark plugs
Improper Ignition Timing
Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Dirty Air Filter

P0430
Faulty Three-way Catalyst Converter Bank 2
Exhaust Tube
Intake Air Leaks
Faulty Oxygen (O2) Sensor
Faulty Fuel injector(s)
Leaking Fuel Injector (s)
Faulty Spark plugs
Improper Ignition Timing
Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Dirty Air Filter

thanks for your details but the codes are really the best way to start.

so this could be an issue with the timing chain. the engine could have jumped a tooth.you could have issues with the 02 sensors and/or faulty cats. if there is a leak at the cat(s) this can allow air to get in and burn up the sensors.

id also have them do a compression test on your engine.

in terms of what features are on your car, you should call a dealer and give them the vin. ask them what trim options you have. the hbmc likely is not the issue but its something you should know if you have or not.

so looks like its going to be a lot of money so be prepared and make sure the mechanic you use knows how to work on infiniti vehicles.

Rsanders24

Reaction score
I hope for your sake that the timing chain recall has not been done. If it has you are looking at a lot of money. 10k oil changes is a recipe for issues with this engine. They had people doing 7.5k on 2011- early 2013s that had worn guides. I’ve used synthetic from day one and still change mine every 3,750-4K. From timing chains to High Pressure Fuel Pumps. The 2 Catalytic converter codes...expensive as well. I had one cat, the drivers side, on my 2011 replaced under warranty. The passenger one cost me about $1.300 and that’s the easy side to work on.

Sorry to hear about these issues but I wish you the best.

Gnjshope

Reaction score
I hope for your sake that the timing chain recall has not been done. If it has you are looking at a lot of money. 10k oil changes is a recipe for issues with this engine. They had people doing 7.5k on 2011- early 2013s that had worn guides. I’ve used synthetic from day one and still change mine every 3,750-4K. From timing chains to High Pressure Fuel Pumps. The 2 Catalytic converter codes...expensive as well. I had one cat, the drivers side, on my 2011 replaced under warranty. The passenger one cost me about $1.300 and that’s the easy side to work on.

Sorry to hear about these issues but I wish you the best.
Timing chain recall has not been done, but after calling customer affairs they say they can not help me with it. They are saying the time and mileage has run out for the "recall".

Does anyone on here know kf anyone that has had the timing chain replaced in the last couple of years?

Consumer Afaairs are saying that they are not paying for that anymore.
I need information to the contrary to discuss with them.

I need some help because they are quoting me $6400 to do the work with an additional $1800 if they get in and the fuel pump is bad.

Any help appreciated.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
the initial recall notice had a finite amount of time nissan would cover. its been a few years expired. its likely you are out of luck sadly.

are you certain your VIN was covered in the recall? not all VINS were, even some 2011 models were not in the recall.

chrisrach3

Reaction score
About to pick up my '11 QX56 from the shop after a $6K repair including timing chain/tensioner and oil jets. My VIN apparently doesn't qualify. Only 112,500 miles. Ridiculous that this thing has to be replaced this soon. Who knows what other issues it caused as well. Infiniti will certainly be hearing from me on this.

pjdavep

Reaction score
About to pick up my '11 QX56 from the shop after a $6K repair including timing chain/tensioner and oil jets. My VIN apparently doesn't qualify. Only 112,500 miles. Ridiculous that this thing has to be replaced this soon. Who knows what other issues it caused as well. Infiniti will certainly be hearing from me on this.

WOW, that's way more expensive than I paid. My 2011 was just out of warranty when my timing chain failed. It was around a $4k repair that thankfully was reimbursed a month later after the recall was announced. Good luck, hopefully Nissan can reimburse you at least some of it!

visioneer

Reaction score
My 2011 is now having the same issues as the OP. I've had the timing chain done several years ago and the catalytic converter replaced in 2017. Any ideas what could be causing this? I do oil changes every 3-4k. I get the following codes via an OBD scanner P0191.

The Qx56 will not get pass 1500rpm / 20mph or it will sputtering and shake violently. I've called several mechanic shops and all are backed up several weeks; my option now is to consider having it towed to a dealership to have it looked at it.

I noticed that the OP hasn't responded to this thread since April. I'm curious as to whether the OP was able to resolve the issue and what the cost of the repair was?

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
Low or no fuel
Faulty Rail Pressure (FRP) Sensor
FRP harness is open or shorted
FRP circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Fuel Pump

Visually inspect the related wiring harness and connectors. Check for damaged components and look for broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded connector's pins. verify the wiring integrity from the ECU to the fuel pressure sensor and the fuel regulator. Check for shorts or wire breaks in the harness.

primov8

Reaction score
@visioneer, in order to diagnose that P0191 DTC, it’s going to require removing the intake manifold, along with the throttle body and air intake assembly.
The fuel injectors, fuel rails, fuel rail pressure sensor and high pressure fuel pump all sit under the intake manifold. Unless you have a reputable, knowledgeable independent mechanic who is familiar with working on vehicles with GDI engines, you’ll be better off having Nissan/Infiniti diagnose the issue.