• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Infiniti owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

2011 Qx56 - SES Light Code P0011

visioneer

Reaction score
My 2011 beast is throwing the code P0011 and will not accelerate above 10 mph. I can clear the code with my scanner and be able to drive it for a bit, but after a few days it will throw the code again. I did an oil change recently hoping that it would resolve the issue but it did not.

Some additional info; I've had the Timing Chain replaced during the warranty recall and also the CATs a few years back.

Planning to take it to the dealership within the next few days. What sort of repairs am I looking? I want to be able to be prepare for the upcoming cost for this repair.

Last edited:

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
I did an oil change recently hoping that it would resolve the issue but it did not.

some causes if this error:

Low or Dirty Engine Oil
Faulty Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve
Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve harness is open or shorted
Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (POS)

since the intake valve timing control solenoid valve uses oil flow to control timing, dirty oil can cause the valve to stuck open or close.

im not a mechanic -- it may just need cleaning.

I've had the Timing Chain replaced during the warranty recall and also the CATs a few years back.

what mileage is on your car? are you the only owner?

you did this years ago correct? this may not have any issues with your current problems.

visioneer

Reaction score
Mileage is ~171,400 miles. I am the only owner; I had the Timing Chain done in Jan 2016 and the catalytic converters replaced in Oct 2017.

The truck was throwing code P0191 back in November 2021; an oil change was performed and it was operating normally until this week when the SES light came on with code P0011.

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
i had a 2012 and had them done around the same time too..

i would just spend the 95 dollars or whatever it costs to do the diag fee and go from there. you can chase down many rabbit holes with those generic p codes. these engines are strong, but the DI engines can get dirty due to how they inject fuel into the chambers. if you have not ever had a the MAF cleaned or if you use lower grade petrol, you could get carbon build up in thew cylinders , causing issues later. my opinion is i dont think its going to be a major issue.

visioneer

Reaction score
Dealership stated I need an engine replacement (it'll be a used engine). Quoted approx. $12k for the repairs... no way I'm paying $12k for a used engine. My next step is to take it to third-party mechanic and get a second opinion on it; hopefully it'll be a lower quote.

primov8

Reaction score
Since you brought your truck to the dealership, what diagnostics was done to state an engine replacement would be needed? Were any actual parts such as the intake valve solenoid(s) tested or replaced?

visioneer

Reaction score
Not sure, the spiel they gave me was that they did a visual inspection and noticed sludge build-up and that the sludge was blocking the engine components. As a result, it's throwing the error code and causing the vehicle to have poor performance. I'm not a car guy so I'm not sure if what he was telling me was true or not; looks like an engine should run me $6k and they are charging me the other $6k+ for labor. I'm debating on what I should do with the vehicle now: trade it in and get whatever value it has left (if any) or take it to another mechanic to do the repairs...

marctronixx

Staff member
Reaction score
those codes to point to issues with buildup of sludge, debris, etc. the early 2011 engines had some issues (timing chain oil jets was one as you know) and many early adopters of this new engine from nissan later on had issues with dirt and buildup in the engine. none of us know how the car was treated--and i am not trying to imply you did anything wrong either-- just saying these DI engines require more TLC than non DI engines.

it sounds like what the dealer told you is very possible -- meaning the build up in the engine causing sticky valves, etc.