• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2010 G37" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2010 G37" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

'14 QX80 + mods

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
they are most likely made in the same shop in china. :) I have the OEM ones on my 12 and had to wire it up to the fuse panel using an add-a-fuse. that was easy to do--the most difficult part was removing the kick panels (which wasn't hard, just time consuming).

clinthammer

I read somewhere on this forum that someone installed a set of oem kick plates from the 2018+ qx80 on their pre 2018 qx80. I can't find the post though.

The 2018+ set has four illuminated kick plates vs the two for the pre 2018 qx80. Thing is the connector is different on them and I was wondering how to install them. Dealer won't touch it because its not compatible.

primov8

NYC
I’ve had a set of the 4 illuminated kick plates since late summer that I’ve been wanting to install on my ‘14 QX80. I’m finally going to install them this weekend or next. I’ll let the forum know which door trigger/wiring I tap them into once I’m done.

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
Te install is super easy —it’s just removing the kick plate finisher to fish the wiring through.

I’d suspect the rear plates and front plates should be wired together and thus you only need to make one splice. Like I mentioned earlier here, i added an “add a fuse” to each side. The plates came with the wiring info...

clinthammer

The reason I wanted to get the 2018+ kick plates is because all 4 are illuminated vs the ones for 2016 that have only the front illuminated. That being said the ones for 2018+ go for $150 (ebay oem 2018+ sill) with the harness (999Q9-36000) around $20 VS the full kit (2016+ illuminated sill) for the 2016 is $280.

The kit for the 2016 is plug n play direct to the factory. The one for 2018+ requires connecting the lights to the harness using positap and then plug the harness to the socket in the car (near passenger footwell).

I need to find the FSM for the 2018 to see if the socket in the passenger footwell is the same as the one for 2016.

Attachments

marctronixx

Staff member
Los Angeles
I get why you want the other set since they are all illuminated. aren’t the front and rear plates connected to each other in a pair? Why would all 4 need to be wired separately?

My point is the plates are a simple install. My 12 qx doesnt have this special connector and the plates i have are OEM. The install was as simple as adding a “Add a fuse” and i was up and running.

I dont think you will have any issues with your install! Its not difficult but you do need to know the wire diagram so you can point out the door open trigger.
If you are ok with splicing a wire or adding a add a fuse, then dont worry about the special harness.

Maybe we are cross talking over each other but if the harness is a major extra cost then dont get it. The plug and play makes it simple for sure but you can also tap into a wire.. :)

clinthammer

Did some more research to see if the set for the 2018+ QX80 will fit.

Apparently, the 2016 QX80 has the TH08FW-NH connector (4 pins on first row and 4 pins on second row) whilst the 2018/2019 QX80 has the TH12FW-NH connector (6 pins on first row and 6 pins on second row). The connector is in the front passenger side right footwell. Reference for connectors http://prd.sws.co.jp/components/series/pdf/jp/nh.pdf

So either I stick with the set for 2016 QX80 or I find a harness with the 8pins that can connect the set for the 2018+ QX80 to my 2016.

If you guys have the OEM kick plates can you tell me how large the packaging was? I am going to order a set and have my family bring it over from Maryland to me in Dubai.

G

G-755366

My QX80 as it currently sits with the 22" KMC KM704s w/Goodyear Fortera SL 285/45/22 tires. I also got the chance to DIY the front grill to emulate the midnight black grille option from Infiniti.

With the aFe bolt-on mods (catback, CAI, TBS) already done, sending in my ecu dump to Uprev since the QX80 isn't a core vehicle. Once Uprev patches the ROM, Joe from CajunTuning will dial everything in.

I've also been in touch with Loren from Rotora regarding the Big Brake Kit for the QX80 (8 piston front, 6 piston rear). Although the price was tough to beat when compared to other brands such as Brembo, Wilwood, etc. who only carry a front kit, the Rotora is a complete front & rear kit. I'm hoping for the price to drop just a bit.
How loud is the cat back? I'm not sure if I want to lean towards the AFE or the borla. I have the AFE momentum intake dry, and I love the sound! Its not too loud unless you get on it. And how much power did it feel like you gained with the CAI and cat back?

clinthammer

I've ordered the kit for the 2018 so that I can get the four illuminated kick plates. Will keep you guys updated when I get it installed. EBay had it for $150 whilst dealers wanted over 300

The ebay seller had issues with the item so that gave me some time today to inspect the factory Bosch TH plug which is in the passenger RH footwell.

As I suspected the plug is an 8 pin plug whilst the one that comes with the 4 illuminated kick plates is a 12 pin plug.

I even looked up Nissan techmate to see if I can order and swap plugs but damn the wiring of the plugs is hard.

I've attached some pictures if anyone wants for reference.

I'm going to just get the kit meant for my model and call it a day.

Attachments

primov8

NYC
How loud is the cat back? I'm not sure if I want to lean towards the AFE or the borla. I have the AFE momentum intake dry, and I love the sound! Its not too loud unless you get on it. And how much power did it feel like you gained with the CAI and cat back?
When I first installed the aFe catback, it did have a mild drone in the cabin. To resolve that issue, I had a Vibrant UQ installed via the rear tailpipe and all was good.
Remember, these bolt-on mods mostly help in gains around the mid-range to upper rpms. But a noticeable improvement in throttle response.
One of the best mods to do after these bolt-ons would be Uprev. The Uprev tuner can dial/tune it all together and the Z62 will drive even better once it’s tuned.