infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: 2011 QX56 - Problem Child...Looking for thoughts.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 AM

Default 2011 QX56 - Problem Child...Looking for thoughts.

Hey guys,

1st post on the forum, 4th Infiniti and own 2 currently.

About 1.5 years ago I traded our 2006 QX56 for a 2011 QX56. It's been nothing short of a chit show with this new one compared to the quasi-bulletproof 06.

My latest problem FLOORED me. My wife called saying that she heard a POP, and that the driver's side rear was sagging. I thought it would just be the air suspension AGAIN, but then she said that the compressor actually ran, but shut off, meaning that it was still holding air. I got under it last night and the shock mount sheered / snapped off the control arm. Again, I was STUNNED to see this. Sure it's a New England truck and has some surface rust, but this was ROTTED and now the shock is just dangling. Has anyone had an experience like this before?

Pics:

Pics aren't showing up for some reason. Here they are:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/c431iwAuJhwLcc7r6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/McxeuKNSKG9u4reR8

2nd, the transmission in this thing is a PITA. It's extremely jerky and bucks when I go uphill, more so at lower speeds, but it feels horrible all the time. It seems like it's getting confused as to what gear to be in and / or the torque converter is messed.

3rd, My BMS has stopped working for the 3rd time. I had it repaired twice, and now I think I am just over it. Annoying as that was a nice feature to have, especially while towing.

4th, I have Moonlight Pearl paint and it is PEELING in sheets off of my roof and the hood. This is apparently a know issue and there is even a class action lawsuit about it.

Pics:

Pics aren't showing up for some reason. Here they are:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pzyczjj4RgmbnLvD8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2a3wx4jUnVrsbraq6

Overall I regret buying this thing immensely and wish I hadn't found a "good deal" that enticed me to trade the 06 in.

I guess I'm looking for some feedback. Anyone had any of this happen?

Last edited by Tizodm80; 05-16-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Hey just wanted to chime in. First, before I address your problems let me say that it sucks to get into something that the previous owner did not maintain correctly. My truck is from your area, I bought it from a dealer up there so I know about your rust problem. When I got mine down here to Florida that was one of the things I took care of immediately. It took about a week for me to completely grind down the surface, put a rust inhibitor, and paint it up real nice (it actually looks like new...lol). Ok, so on to address your issues. First the transmission, two things come to mind you either need to get the transmission reprogramed or serviced correctly. Either way, it sounds like it was improperly cared for. This will make a ton of difference. I did a whole fluid replacement when I got my truck and I can tell you the fluid that came out was very dirty. I did the fluid exchange at home, it is not hard to do but requires two people and some knowledge about how the transmission work, but well worth it. Second issues, and forgive me for asking what is BMS (I am having a brain fart). Thirdly, yes the white Infiniti's paint on those models are known for peeling. This is a well-known issue. Look on the bright side you can now wrap the truck and make it look awesome! If it were me I would put a black wrap on top (man I think that would look nice on your truck). Fourthly, the parts to replace the parts that broke on your truck are relatively inexpensive and easy to fix. You can have it fixed in one weekend and if I was there I would help you. Look these are great trucks and they are built to last, but unfortunately, you have people who don't take of them and fix problems when they first show. So you the next owner inherits the problem. Look, let me know if I can be any help to change your mind on this. I think with a little effort and time we can get your truck back to her glory and you enjoying it the way it was meant too.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:17 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry to hear you issues. The truck is a solid truck but like with any car, there will be some that have issues. Also since your truck is used, the previous owner may not have taken care of it, plus being in the snow belt, this can also add more headaches and pain. Again said to hear of all these issues.

Let me say I have a 2012 qx fully loaded with 87K miles. Ive not had any issues at all and have had the car since it was born. It’s my daily driver and I drive it like its a rental !

To help answer your questions:

1. Seems you know this is perhaps die to salt /rust
2. Tranny is solid. You didnt mention if you had the fluid changed. I would for sure do this because you don’t knew what the previous owner did.

Also the trans is a learning tranny so it adapts to your way of driving. Over time this can cause driving to be not so good. Nissan have a way to do this by key on/off and pedal presses (ive posted this on this site) to “reset” the tranny. The confusion software can also do this, or you can remove the battery from the car, resetting the trans but also will reset radio codes, etc.

3. No idea what BMS means.

4. If the prior owner ran the car through the car wash (petrol station car wash for example ) or didnt take care of the paint, this can happen. It’s a “problem” with many cars, not just this car. I see these paint peels on random cars all the time here in LA so its not unique to Nissan. To date I have ZERO paint peels (because I maintain my cars paint, and keep it clean ) on a 7 year old car. It’s my daily. I WILL say the clear coat is EAAASSSYYYYY to scratch (ive some swirls marks in the clear coat ).

I feel your pain brotha , but dont dismiss the car itself. It’s only as good as its prior owner.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Thank you both, appreciate it. Again, this is my 4th Infiniti and 7th Nissan (43 cars total so far). I absolutely know my way around. I've reset the ECU a few times, and while it felt snappier, the issues with jerking ETC still are there. Like I said it feels like a bum torque converter. It has made towing next to impossible as well.

Sorry, BMS should have been BSM or Blind Spot Monitoring. It's failed twice already, and this 3rd time I think I am done with it. Parts+Labor was $800 just for 1 side last time, now it's both sides. Again, ridiculous that it goes this often.

I get that the control arm is a fairly easy and cheap fix, and I'm no stranger to wrenching, however this kinda thing SHOULD NOT happen on a vehicle of this supposed caliber. My 04 F350 Plow truck with a SALTER an 198K on it doesn't even have this kind of rot on key components (don't ask about my rocker panels).

The paint, yes, known issue, class action law suit, some instances of Infiniti Consumer Affairs taking care of it, but COME ON. This is like a $70K truck (new) and again, should NOT happen.

I suppose my post was more about venting than anything. I surprised my wife with this truck after she fell in love with the new body style and now all she wants is the old 06 back, and I can't blame her.

It was interesting when doing some research that the 06-10 I believe had a recall on the rear control arms for faulty welds. Nissan has had some issues with rot, but I haven't heard of many issues with the Patrol platform which lives all over the world. Frustrating for sure.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:09 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

Sure it was mostly venting—ive seen a few posts like yours over the years on the web. It happens—thats what these forums are for, for people too seek help and to (sometimes) vent.

The 2011 was the first rollout of the second gen, and a new production line (left Mississippi and went to japan) so growing pains and some issues were to occur. This is the main reason why I waited until the 2012s started to rollout.

Still, it just sounds like the prior owner(s) didnt take good care of the car, and/or your car was a lemon. Parts are expensive on this car no questions about it, just as any other car with this price point.

Theres lots of these cars on the roads across the country that are doing just fine and having no issues. Those people dont normally sign up to a firm to express their delight in how great the car is. The car is a beast and has exceeded my expectations.

In terms of the gearing on that tranny, perhaps you DO have some issues going on inside it and it may need repair. Could also be coil packs, high pressure petrol pump, etc. Did you see if there were any codes at the obd port?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Is it possible you have a Hurricane Sandy/Harvey/etc.. vehicle, and it was in several feet of salt water for an extended period of time? That's an incredible amount of rust!

Later,
pjdavep
Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 PM

I have a question about the Blind Spot Monitoring sensor. My question is when the sensor was replaced, did they also replace the bracket the holds it or the bumper support bracket? The reason why I am asking is that one of my sensors were acting up, but only when it rained....lol.. I know strange. What fixed it for me was replacing the bumper support bracket that happens to also support the sensors and judging by the rust in your pictures this may be your problem and not the sensor itself.