infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX80 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: Power Steering & Engine Air Filter

Old 04-25-2019, 05:18 PM

Question Power Steering & Engine Air Filter

I went to get my 2015 QX80 serviced at the dealership for it's 40,000 mile service.

The rep said my power steering fluid was 'burnt' and needed flushing. Nowhere in the maintenance manual does it mention replacing or flushing power steering fluid. If it could get 'burnt', shouldn't it be mentioned somewhere?

Secondly they recommended I change my engine air filter. I last changed it according to the maintenance manual at 30,000 miles. I find it suspicious that they're recommending it be replaced so soon since the next replacement in the manual calls for at 60,000 miles.

Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2019, 07:12 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

Eyeball the air filter. Retake it out and look at the sun through it , or a bright light source. If you can see the light through it its good. If you live in dusty area you may get the filter more clogged than an area not as dusty. The manual has severe conditions and normal conditions on when to replace fluids and such, so use your own judgement.

Ive had the steering wheel fluid replaced twelve on my 12 qx and I’m at 86K miles. It’s a small cost on a 80K plus car. I think i get it every 2 years or 30K or somesuch.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks. Will do.

I'm always weary of service centers recommending I do things outside of the maintenance manual.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:07 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

Totally understand your concern.

I’m no mechanic, but in my humble opinion If you are gonna keep the car for a while then I’d recommend doing it. If its a used but new to you car, for piece of mind I’d just do it.

I plan to keep this car for as long as I can so i replace the steering fluid, coolant, brake fluid on certain intervals based on what’s in the Infiniti manual.

Tags
filter, steering