infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX80 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Infiniti Forum: Exploding Sunroof

Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM

Exclamation Exploding Sunroof

I just had a very weird experience with my 2014 QX80 (12,000 mi). I was driving down the express way and heard a loud pop and then the sound of glass fragments hitting the roof top and immediate road noise. I pulled over and stopped to find out my sunroof glass was mostly gone, broken into small fragments and blown away! Luckily my sun screen was closed and no glass got into the car.

The first thing you would think is it was hit by a rock, but i was not near any large vehicles and did not see any other debris hit the wind shield. Also, the sunroof was closed and therefore the exposure to a forceful impact by debris is very improbable. I started to look online for similar cases and found that this mystery occurrence is more common than you think. It seems that it occurs regularly (in very low occurrence) across a wide variety of manufactures and vehicles models. The cause is unclear but many think it is due to stresses in faulty glass. Google "exploding sunroofs" for more info.

The local dealer told me it was not covered by warranty because it was glass and I received a quote of $1100 from dealer for repair, apparently they need to replace the entire mechanism. I submitted my case to Infiniti Consumer Affairs, they investigated for a few days and got back to me. They agreed to cover the cost of replacement, one time only. However, they refused to agree to the possibility that it could have been a faulty piece of glass.

In the end, I love my vehicle and would recommend it to anyone, but was disappointed in the fact that this situation occurred and took so much effort to resolve. Infiniti seemed to be very reluctant to take responsibility but stepped up in the end.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:13 AM

It may have been hit previously and fractured, and couldnt bear the high speed pressure.. I have no Idea if this can actually happen

Old 12-13-2014, 11:29 AM

Shit happens.... coulda been a large piece of bird poop; direct hit. Glad they covered it for ya.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:37 PM

Well here we are in 2018 and I sadly must join the QX80-Unexplained-Shattered-Sunroof club. Just last weekend driving along a sunny country road we heard a loud pop and glass started raining down on us from our 2014 QX80 sunroof. Unfortunately we did not have the cover closed, so we got the full shower of glass on me and my wife. No prior damage to the glass. We weren't hit by any falling objects. So now we're out a $500 deductible to get this steaming mess cleaned up. We never would have had a reason to start looking deeper for more information until this happened, yet here we are. Now we see all kinds of class-action lawsuits and others who've had the same issue. Frustrating doesn't quite say it enough.

Tags
sunroof