infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX80 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network cars connected social networking app for ios cars connected social networking app for android

Notices

Infiniti Forum: 36k and rotors may need resurfacing?

Old 09-04-2016, 11:11 PM

Default 36k and rotors may need resurfacing?

Just in the last week our 15 model has started shaking violently when the brakes are applied. Even worse when the DCA option is enabled. To the point it isn't safe to use the DCA until it is resolved.
Is this something covered under warranty?
Bought both the 12 and now 15 when we lived in Michigan. Now using the dealer in Memphis, TN for service work. 1.5 hour drive each way.
Anyone else have trouble with rotors?
Plan to call my old dealer in Michigan Tuesday to see what he has to say.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:49 PM

Found out some interesting info regarding the rotors. Infiniti recommends the lug nuts be torque wrench applied to a certain spec around 125. If mechanics are using traditional impact wrenches they can easily apply 2x or more pounds of pressure to them which in turn can actually cause the rims to warp the rotors.
I plan to ask my local dealer to resurface my rotors using this as a starting point. We have had our 80 serviced three times at this dealership and the problem has surfaced during that timeframe. Can lean towards the previous 56 we had for 3 years and 80k with zero brake issues as proof of our driving not causing the problem.

Fingers crossed....

I forget how dead this forum is...

Old 09-08-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcrebel View Post
Can lean towards the previous 56 we had for 3 years and 80k with zero brake issues as proof of our driving not causing the problem.

Fingers crossed....

I forget how dead this forum is...
Hopefully they can resolve. Mine is too new for rotors yet but keeping an eye out for brake issues based on some previous comments / generations. Not related to rotors, my gripe with the brakes on 2016 QX80 limited is how you can be on hill and feel the pedal drop towards floor, (with or without air conditioning on). Only car I've had that does this ... my dealer indicated it is possible with high load. With only one person in this beast and no cargo ... think there is more to the brakes on this QX80.

As for forum activity ... better forum be dead versus members
Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM

Forgot to update this thread.
Dealer agreed to comp the rotor resurfacing. Problem solved immediately.
I also had them realign it as the left front tire was showing some abnormal wear. They did a 4 wheel alignment. During the process they marred my right rear wheel but have agreed to swap me for a new wheel next time I am in for service which is tomorrow.
I swear in all of my years getting service work done at GM on my pickup they never damaged anything. Since 12 and over two vehicles at four Infiniti dealers i have had the driver door scratched/dented, the rear bumper scraped, shop rags soaked in some kind of brake cleaner chemical left in rear luggage area, the warped rotors and now the marred wheel. I don't even want to know what happens that I have no evidence of.
That said they have always repaired the damage with no complaints. Shit happens I know but dang. For reference I have had my pickup for 12 years. All but the last 2 oil changes were done at a GM dealer. It has been to 4 or 5 over the years of us living in different areas of the country.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 PM

No rotor issues here. Either over torquing or you drive and brake like Mario Andretti.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:54 PM

Definitely was an install issue since the problem was resolved with the resurfacing. I've got nearly 150k on two of the Qx's with zero issues. I drive hard but I don't brake excessively like many do. I've been driving for nearly 30 years officially and these are the only rotors I have ever had to have resurfaced or replaced.