infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX80 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: Squeaking dash?

Old 12-18-2018, 12:51 AM

Default Squeaking dash?

Know everyone hates these kinds of threads but recently as in the past week our 18 80 has started producing a squeaking sound from the dash around the hvac controls. The sound would be best described as two styrofoam cups rubbing together in cupholders that are too close together. You can decrease the noise by pressing in on the dash panel but it won't go away completely. It's not constant either. Craziest thing I've encountered with a new vehicle.
Hoping I can figure out what it is before having to take it in to the dealer. That's a 2 hour drive each way and previous experience suggests it will take a minimum of 2 trips to get anything done. Not looking forward to 8 hours of driving to resolve something I hope is simple. Nothing is out of place on the dash. All buttons work. Nothing in the console area contributing to the noise either.
Anyone?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:48 AM

Ugh- that stinks. Once you hear it- you're always listening for it. It's very possible there is stryofoam like material within the dash so you could be right on target!

Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

Exactly what i was thinking —some material designed to miniseries noise(!) in the dash

The best thing to do bro is just take it back—unless you want to remove your dash.

Removing the dash is not simple and its an all day thing, and yeah you hear it. It will get worse over time and you’ll hate yourself for not taking it in sooner.

I know bro i know... but keep the class updated...
Old 12-21-2018, 04:42 PM

Appt scheduled for a week from today. Service manager was confident they could fix the issue in one day so they have scheduled me a loaner to use while they work on it. I will update what they find and the resolution.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

fantastic brotha. you KNOW you wanted to do it..
Old 12-29-2018, 01:43 AM

Update. Took the 80 in today. They kept it for about 2 hours total. I asked what they did and they told me they took off the center console finisher and added felt padding between the plastic pieces that were creating the squeaking noise. No noise for the trip home. They had me a loaner ready but they now charge $4/gallon like a rental company for any missing fuel on return. I commented that they needed to change their terminology away from complimentary loaner to paid loaner. Lol.
Here’s the link to the video.
https://youtu.be/DJ1yReI49nY
Old 12-29-2018, 07:28 AM

Glad to hear it was fixed!
Old 12-31-2018, 02:44 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes happy to hear its fixed. Sounds like it may be a volunteer recall soon since it seems they were able to figure it out so quickly.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:06 AM

I wouldnÂ’t be surprised Marc. Although the tech advisor was hesitant to say it was widespread or common he was confident they could fix it quickly and they did. So read into that fwiw.

To update this thread....
I got a new pickup back last September and we tend to go everywhere in it these days vs the QX that has become my wife's work commuter.
All that to say I may ride in it 2-3 times per month tops and like most women my wife doesn't do anything but crank the damn thing and drive it. Gas light comes on she reminds me it needs gas. Lol.
Anyways the dash squeak is coming back. Just audible enough to notice it without any audio on at city speeds. I've got a lot going on this week so it may be next week before I can have it seen about again.
Asked my wife how long it has been going on and she says it is the first time she heard it. Refer to above behavior in regards to her driving. Lol.
I told her last night I was going to start making her take my truck one day a week to work just so I could drive the QX and make sure other little issues aren't occurring.