infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti Cars) > Infiniti J30 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: 1995 infiniti j30 headlights problem?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:05 AM

Default 1995 infiniti j30 headlights problem?

I notice my headlights seem to cut off and on. Mainly the passager side, wut could this be? I tried running lights in the day time while driving and they seem to stay on with no problem, but soon as night time come boom I start to look like a motorcycle coming down the road! So if I decide to try high beems I get nothing.. so if I deside to cut off lights and turn by on then no light but parkinging light will show. What could be goin on
Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 AM

Headlight relay Part# 25230-10Y60 MSRP $45.82

Old 12-08-2009, 03:27 PM

"Classic problem." This relay is located on the driver side firewall (underhood). It is pure H*ll to get out and even more to put back in. It does not look like your standard relay. You will see a black box and you're going to think that's not it but that will be it. You just unscrew the little screw and try and try until you get it out. I had to fashion a clothes hanger to hold both ends so that I push the relay back onto the connections.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 PM

i have a 93 j30t. had the same problem. even got as bad as no lights turning turning on at all... ever. popped the black plastic cover off the relay(when i finally got it out). re-soldered all the broken connections on the circuit board. works like a charm and saved 50 bucks
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 AM

In order to simplify the removal & installation of the headlight relay you must remove the device next to it. To do this simply remove the 3 bolts holding the device which are accessed from the fender well. You need not remove the tire/wheel to do this.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 AM

I just pried my relay out with a flathead on the mounting bracket, and didn't bother to mount the new one, its tight enough in there as is, its not going anywhere, but I also know how the wires are connected, and locked, there are 2 sets of wires you have to disconnect, and each one has a lock, you can just push down on the top of the lock and pull up on the relay (trust me, you're not going to hurt anything) and the wires will slide off easily, now for putting it back in, that is a whole other bitch of a task, but after I went through a half hour trying to figure it out, here's what I did, I connected the harness in the back first, then connected then connected the one in the front, then I just let it sit there inbetween the firewall and the a/c line, it doesn't move what so ever.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Talking Headlight Issues

I owe you guys a HUGE THANK YOU! After a few hours I managed to extract the headlight relay, I checked the connections and cleaned and the circut board with some quick dry electrical connector cleaner I had in the garage. I reconnected the harness and lights/camera/action! Both headlights are working three weeks later! I did order the new headlight relay ($49 online) just in case my solution did not work.

A tip about removing the headlight relay: Remove the cruise control actuator located near the driver side firewall. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, this will allow you to access the three 12mm bolds that holds the actuator in the driver side fender well. Use some liquid wrench or WD-40 on the nuts. You must remove the cruise control actuator before accessing the headlight relay. Trust me, doing this first would have saved me at least an hour. After removing the actuator, only one screw holds the headlight relay to the driver side fender, mine came out with just a phillips screwdriver and some WD-40. Thanks again! Good luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 AM

Likely faulty ground. As the circuit heats up, the ground fails. Look for a wire from the headlight to ground (metal) See if it's corroded,loose, worn etc.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 PM

I was able to repair the relay as well, after finding the small one for low beam left side was getting no power (no click). Thanks for the tip to fuzzycats, outstanding site! D n e t a trying to remove the relay box w/o removing the cruise control actuator! That would be almost impossible!! Also I had to clean all the plug pins on the circuit board with emery paper (not corroded but very dull). Had to solder several times probably bc I was afraid of melting the board. If you can carefully mount the circuit board on the plugs (power up) w/o the housing, you can trouble shoot which relay(s) is(are) not working. My experience was the left side had no power for low beam, which apparently also precludes high beam. The two small relays are the low beams and two larger are the high beams. The left side lamps are powered by the 8 pin plug and right side by the 4 pin (six spaces). My car is a late 94 j30 base model (not t). I originally tried looking for a bad ground but found no evidence of one. One other note: The relay box is actually attached to the fender (near where it meets the firewall) not to the firewall itself. My cruise control had 3 x 12mm bolts vs 2. The outboard bolt is very difficult to see from under the wheel well. This was not an easy fix, but very satisfying. Took me about 3 hours with all the soldering and checking before final reassembly. If it quits again, I'll probably just buy a new relay. The can be had for as little as $32 US. Thanks again.