infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Infiniti Forum: OBD Codes P0090 & P0087 - 2011 QX56

Old 03-26-2018, 11:03 PM

Default OBD Codes P0090 & P0087 - 2011 QX56

Hi there, new on the forum. I have a 2011 QX56 with 115,900 miles. The check engine light came on and so I took it to AutoZone for a quick OBD scan. The codes came out as P0090 Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Circuit and P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low.

The vehicle drives perfectly fine. It does hesitate to start after sitting for a day or two.

Anybody had these error codes?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:29 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

the lamp would not come on for nothing, so if you think the car is running fine, it most likely is not.

the p0090 code is a fault with the high pressure regulator. this could be a faulty wire harness, sensor, or actual pump issue. it could be intermittent or it could cause issues if you "put your foot in the tank" or drive "spritely"

ther p0087 is a low pressure DTC. again could be a faulty wire harness or actual fault within the assembly.

i think the regulator is under the plastic engine cover on top of the motor. i don't know exact because ive never looked.

if you are handy with service manuals, you can get the service manual and have a lok see at the location.

a bit off topic, but did you ever get the timing chain recall done?

Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM

Iím going through this nightmare right now. 2011 qx56 with 140k miles purchased 3 months ago. Light came on 2 weeks ago and vehicle hesitates at hard take off and over 40mph. codes P0087 and P0090, I already changed the $400 in tank fuel pump, $1400 high pressure pump, checked wiring and connectors and codes return after second key cycle. Today I removed my ECM and and Iím sending it for repairs. I hope that fixes it.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
the lamp would not come on for nothing, so if you think the car is running fine, it most likely is not.

the p0090 code is a fault with the high pressure regulator. this could be a faulty wire harness, sensor, or actual pump issue. it could be intermittent or it could cause issues if you "put your foot in the tank" or drive "spritely"

ther p0087 is a low pressure DTC. again could be a faulty wire harness or actual fault within the assembly.

i think the regulator is under the plastic engine cover on top of the motor. i don't know exact because ive never looked.

if you are handy with service manuals, you can get the service manual and have a lok see at the location.

a bit off topic, but did you ever get the timing chain recall done?

Recently bought the vehicle so not sure if the timing chain recall issue was addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante4602 View Post
I’m going through this nightmare right now. 2011 qx56 with 140k miles purchased 3 months ago. Light came on 2 weeks ago and vehicle hesitates at hard take off and over 40mph. codes P0087 and P0090, I already changed the $400 in tank fuel pump, $1400 high pressure pump, checked wiring and connectors and codes return after second key cycle. Today I removed my ECM and and I’m sending it for repairs. I hope that fixes it.
Please let me know if the recent repairs fix it and what you had to do.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:41 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

first order of business is to call into a local dealer , give them your vin and ask.

did you purchase from an infiniti dealer?
Old 03-28-2018, 07:33 PM

I bought my truck from an outside dealer with a 30 day warranty so pretty much I am on my own. I called an Infiniti dealer and my truck does not fall within the VIN range for the timing chain recall. I hope the issue I am having is not the timing chain because I will have to sell the QX56 and buy a Mongoose from toys r us before they go out of business. I sent my ECM out for repairs and expect it back in 6 days. I will let you know then if it fixes my headache.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:51 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

ive a 2012 and my VIN was flagged for the timing recall.

id contact another shop.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Update: received my ECM back today they said it was a shorted resistor. Installed the ECM and after the 3rd key cycles the check engine light came back on again codes P0087 and P0090. Iíve change the two pumps, last low and high pressure and sent out the ECM for repairs, checked harness and connectors and all tested good $2300.00 in parts only and still have the same problem. I need HELP!!
Old 04-02-2018, 07:15 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

at some point it may be worth the cost to get the car diagnosed from infiniti. not sure if you have already done that..

what about the senses in the cats? they could be fouled...

still think you need to look into the timing chain recall. i could have sworn all 2011 were affected by this...
Old 04-03-2018, 10:29 PM

I called Infiniti consumer affairs 800 number, they confirmed that my VIN number does not fall within the recall. One of my first diagnosis was from Infiniti dealer and they recommended the low pressure pump which I replaced on my own. As you advised I will look into the timing chain by removing the high pressure pump looking for markings from a stretched chain. I will update tomorrow with the findings. Thank you.

Removed the high pressure pump again to double check and found the high pressure pump bucket worn and cracked causing low fuel pressure. Replaced the high pressure pump bucket $30.00 and reinstalled pump. Cleared codes so far the nightmare has ended.