infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Infiniti Forum: [2011+] QX56 new motor, timing chains, etc

Old 05-01-2018, 09:41 AM

Question 2011 qx56 misfire

Good morning,
Would sincerely appreciate any help I can get. Here's the situation. Have had a 2011 Infiniti QX 56 at our shop for quite some time. Upon of first inspection of the vehicle, it had a random misfire code and a specific misfire code for cylinder #3. That did not correct the issue. Vehicle was sent down to the dealer to be further diagnosed. They sent papers stating that check engine light is on, runs rough, and hesitates. As well as number 1 cylinder is weak and faults for the front bank o2 sensor.
We are at a complete loss as to where to go from here. Replaced both cylinder 1 and 3 coils, test drive, and the test drive must be an extensive one, and the exact same codes keep coming back.
As stated above, any and all help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoneauto View Post
Good morning,
Would sincerely appreciate any help I can get. Here's the situation. Have had a 2011 Infiniti QX 56 at our shop for quite some time. Upon of first inspection of the vehicle, it had a random misfire code and a specific misfire code for cylinder #3. That did not correct the issue. Vehicle was sent down to the dealer to be further diagnosed. They sent papers stating that check engine light is on, runs rough, and hesitates. As well as number 1 cylinder is weak and faults for the front bank o2 sensor.
We are at a complete loss as to where to go from here. Replaced both cylinder 1 and 3 coils, test drive, and the test drive must be an extensive one, and the exact same codes keep coming back.
As stated above, any and all help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Was the timing chain recall performed? Maybe the timing was installed a half tick off? That's what happened to me. The dealer had to redo the whole thing after they figured it out about 300 miles later!

Later,
pjdavep

Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 PM

I would also suggest why not do a full tune up? Change all 8 ignition coils. It would be expensive for the customer, but that is expected for the cost of these things for this huge car. And remember 4 of them are longer than the other 4. Get OEM or you will be wasting your time with aftermarket coils. Believe me here.

And if you change the ignition coils, make sure you go ahead and change spark plugs.

So this will be an expensive service for the client.

I have changed 2 coils on my 2012 QX56, but it did not really need it. I kind of made my extended warranty to pay for it.

I have a 2008 Maxima that I replaced all 6 ignition coils with aftermarket about 3 months ago. A month ago my car would misfire bad. I could not stand it. it threw like 6 different codes. Engine misfire, catalytic converter, oxygen sensor and transmission misfire.

I went and bought OEM spark plugs and OEM ignition coils. Had a friend do this. And then I bought transmission fluid and changed it myself. Car drives now like a champ! I reset all lights and about 1,000 miles of driving now, no lights back on yet.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Not all 11-13 QX56's Have Timing Chain Issues??

I am interested in purchasing a pre-owned QX56/80 and have read through most of the threads that touch on the timing chain and catalytic converter issues that plagued the 11-13 QX56.

I was wondering when Infiniti started to install the upgraded timing chain and cats on new vehicles? Was it only the 2014+ model years that should be relatively trouble free in these areas?

I have looked up the VIN on the infiniti recall site for a number of 2012 vehicles and none of them have been flagged for the recall.

Thank you for your help as this forum is a great resource!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

if the vin you are looking to purchase is not on the site for the recall then its OK. there's even some 2011 models that did not get flagged.

i think around 2013 was when the updated equipment was put in.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:18 PM

Thank you very much for the reply and the info! I appreciate it.

Interestingly I heard back from the dealer today on one of the 2012 QX56’s for sale that was not flagged in the recall but had the timing chain and cats replaced at the dealer at 105,000km (roughly 63k miles). Unfortunately the dealer said the client had to pay out of pocket since the vehicle was not part of the recall.

Might be looking like a 2014 is a better deal at only about $8-10k more?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:05 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

I’d get a 14. The cats and timing chain will cause you headaches if your car develops the issue.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:49 AM

Default timming chain question

if the dealers replaced the timming chain on the recall do you have to have this done agin if the future
Old 07-22-2018, 02:35 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

timing chains are designed to last for many any years and many many miles.

the first run vehicles did not necessarily have faulty timing chains, rather the oil jets were sub par and caused the chains to not be lubed as they should, shortening their life and causing other issues downstream.

while no car is going to last forever, this recall will eliminate the issues caused by the sub par parts.

Tags
door actuators, infiniti, infiniti qx56, qx56, timing chain