infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: 05 front driver side axle pop out .

Old 03-30-2019, 09:02 AM

Unhappy 05 front driver side axle pop out .

got 05 qx56 i put about 100k on it i was doing an oil change and i notice oil when i look i see my front driver side axle is about 1 to 2 inch out of the transfer case i try to push it back in but can't no force in the little space i was thinking about pull the axle out and see if the lock ring is there and try to tap it back in the truck drive fine without look under i would not know the axle out anyone ever had this issue and what did you do to fix it do i have to replace the transfer case ?
Old 03-31-2019, 06:05 PM

On the first gens, the cv axle bolts onto the cv flange, which then locks into the front differential.

The front differentials on the first gen (Armada, Titan, QX56) were notorious for the cv flanges popping out of place. When that happens it also damages the seal(s) because it forces the spring retainer around the lip of the seals to deform.
If you don't replace the seal(s), the diff oil will continue to leak out.

Being this happened on the driver's side, you don't need to drop the front differential. Unbolt the cv axle from the cv flange to make room in order to pull the cv flange out completely.

Make sure to replace the seal, along with a new cv flange circlip.

OE circlip 382258S110
OE seal-side flange 383428S110

Old 03-31-2019, 08:34 PM

hello so i can just replace the seal and the circlip and pop the axle back in ? would it pop out back again i put almost 100k on this truck and this the first time this happen how hard is it to replace the seal ? thanks for the info
Old 04-01-2019, 10:48 AM

On my previous 04 armada, the DS cv flange popped out around 120K+ miles. I ended up dropping the entire front diff so that I was able to replace the seals on both sides, along with the rear main seal as well.

When I sold the armada, it had about 207K+ miles. I believe it’s closing in on 230K+ miles and no issues last time I heard from the owner.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:36 PM

ok so if i replace the seal and the snap ring it will be fine i was thinking something is damage in the transfer case was looking at use transfer case but if all it need is the seal and the snap ring that would be great.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:31 PM

so i had my truck tow to my mechanic he told me something is broken in the differential i am going to get a use one put it hopefully it worth it.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:01 PM

Did your mechanic actually drop the front diff and remove the cover to check the gears, internals?
Old 04-02-2019, 05:15 PM

I dont think so he told me something is broken in the diff i ask him if he try to put the axle back in he said yes there truck axle pop out like that without any damage to the diff anyway i found a use diff at a yunk yard for $750 so any choice i have is to replace it now.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:49 PM

Well, you obviously made your decision already so good luck. If you would’ve done a bit more research, this was typical of these first gen front diffs. Only time the front diff would actually become damaged is from not having sufficient fluid inside or when people have tried to pull stuck vehicles going in reverse, using 4W or 4L.

Also, the circlips were revised as they were manufactured slightly thicker than what came on the first gens.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:44 PM

I have talk to the shop again and they said there something in the diff that damage i also try to push it back in and it would not along with a next me mechanic he also try and told me the same thing i dunno what else i can do. thanks for the help.

Last edited by shawn19; 04-03-2019 at 05:55 PM.