infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: Disable Power Folding Mirrors

Old 03-15-2019, 04:09 PM

Default Disable Power Folding Mirrors

Hey All,
I've looked through the forum and if someone has posted this I have missed it; is there any way to disable the automatic folding mirrors, likely by removing a fuse? If so, what else is on that circuit? I've looked in the manual as well; didn't find it. To be clear I'm not referring to the automatic tilt necessarily, just the folding but if it affects both that's OK with me.

Like many, my driver's side has gone kaput and attempts to fold, if I manually cycle it in/out the motor stops trying but there is a good amount of "free play" in it and I'd like to attempt some sort of JB Weld or shims to hold it in one place. I know that's a little redneck but on principle I refuse to pay an insane amount to have the motor/gears replaced only to have it happen again as some appear to have faced. Thanks in advance, great forum.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:31 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

what model year do you have? i didn't know the mirrors are automatic? I thought they have a switch that is activated manually to open/close...thats what I have on my 12 qx...

and "like many".. first ive seen it posted on 3 Qx forums i frequent. what is exactly the problem? links to others who have this issue?

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
what model year do you have? i didn't know the mirrors are automatic? I thought they have a switch that is activated manually to open/close...thats what I have on my 12 qx...

and "like many".. first ive seen it posted on 3 Qx forums i frequent. what is exactly the problem? links to others who have this issue?
My fault Sir, I shouldn't have used the term "automatic" opening/closing, I'll attempt to edit. In my case, the stripped motor in question runs when turning on the ignition. I mistakenly interpreted that without thinking much: I have what you are referring to, a manual switch to open/close in my 2011 QX. In my case the motor doesn't move the mirror, which the sensors think is not in the open/closed position, so it attempts to run it continually until I manually cycle the mirror and the sensor is satisfied. Every so often the mirror lands on the sweet spot where it knows it's actually open and doesn't try to fold/unfold but it's very touchy and floppy/loose. If able I'd like to pull the fuse and tighten down the assembly.

With regards to "like many", the issue may not be ubiquitous but when searching for a solution I found a handful of posts referencing stripped/worn gears on the power folding mirrors, though some are on Armadas. A few links are below:

QX, This guy changed his own motor, sounds painful

Thread regarding tilting glass (not the same issue), but Rsanders24 has a similar "floppy" mirror hinge

Not exactly a forum, but same issue

Same site, different user

I had mistaken this as the same issue as mine, upon looking closer it appears he was discussing the glass
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

much obliged on the follow up.

its possible the moto/ track can be "realigned". the mirrors are designed to be able to be moved by hand and thus can get off track if they are hyperextended.

the mirror glass can be removed and you can disconnect the actuator motor directly inside the mirror.

this is the service manual for the Mirror. here you see the wiring diagram and how to access the actuator from behind the glass.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/QX56/2012%20QX/MIR.pdf

Tags
mirror, motor