infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti Cars) > Infiniti Q70 and M Forums > Infiniti M35 / M37 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: 2007 M35x Conversion from AWD to RWD by necessity

Old 02-25-2019, 05:44 PM

Default 2007 M35x Conversion from AWD to RWD by necessity

Wife came home the other day complaining of a "clunking" and "my car is making some bad noises". I pulled it into the garage and did my normal oil change service etc. Then I jacked it up and crawled under it only to find the drive shaft servicing the front wheel gear box had broken at the u-joint up front and smashed the gear box beyond repair. The car has about 150k on it and runs like a dream but it's paid for, has a few rust spots above the windshield and I considered it not worth much so I decided to see if I could make it "rear wheel drive" so she can get another 10 months of no car payment out of it.

Here is what I did, hoping you can let me know if this will work or if I should do something else to prolong it's life that I may have missed.

Cut the broken drive shaft and pulled it out (so now in the transfer box mid car that feeds both the rear wheels and previously the front wheels there is a hole where the shaft slid inside)
Removed both CV axles (the front gear box was so damaged that leaving them in the box was clunking and binding still)
Removed the threaded / splined part that goes through the wheel bearings / hub and reinstalled just those so the front wheels turn nothing now.
I cut the boots at the transfer case under the engine and pulled the cv axles out leaving those parts in the gear box instead of monkeying around trying to pry them out.

From what I read these are rear wheal drive cars with front wheel assist. The car drives great aside from not having front wheel traction anymore. Antilock breaks work great, slip protection works fine, no dash lights on, all seems well.

Should I do anything else or should I plan on this thing burning up anything or should I expect it to work just fine? The rest of the car is beautiful and she loves the interior.

Thanks in advance.