infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: [2011+] Remote start options

Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Default I was shocked as well....

I test drove a qx Thursday. We have an 08 tahoe that's loaded. Was shocked at the lack of an Autostart. The owner came over to bail out the salesman when it was apparent to them this could be a deal breaker. The owner said the reason it isn't offers is bc on all other vehicles with Autostart an additional fob is placed under the hood and the fobs communicate to each other and that is how they start. He said that setup would compromise the security system on the qx and that without the fob it wouldn't start.
Wish I was smart enough to know the truth here. I wouldn't mind the add on remote system and I would go with a compustar. Living in Michigan it's essential to have one bc of the cold, ice and snow. I've had trouble a few times with doors being frozen shut that would render the current setup on the qx useless.
Just a bit disillusioned with the onslaught of things they thought of but couldn't figure out the Autostart?
I would welcome any and all responses. As a matter of fact I would appreciate a phone call from someone who wouldn't mind answering a few questions.

Thanks,

Chris
662-419-1259
Old 04-15-2012, 03:23 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

the infiniti/armada intellikey (IK) system is pretty tied into the car. you can set the fob to control not only the seats, mirrors, steering wheel, but also the HVAC controls, radio settings specific to the fob.

still, nissan could have added into the system the ability to allow autostart, however the cost may have been beyond the scope of the cost they were trying to meet.

they also probably figured more people would not NEED autostart vs. the ones who say its a deal breaker if they dont have autostart. and the ones who are the deal breakers usually post up on site asking about why company X didint install _____ (insert feature).

you can install autostart and in fact the nissan IK system can use the FOB to initiate autostart. the MAJOR con is you need to be within IK range for this to happen (within 3 feet).

right now, on the nissan system, if you have an aftermarket autostart/remote start installed, you have to get in the car, shut off the car and then restart it with the FOB you have with you. again this is because when the car autostarts remotely, the gadget (i forget the name of it at this writing--its installed to make the remote system work) fools the system to allow it to start. once you get in the car, the system needs to ID the fob thats on you, and by doing this you need to turn off the car and re start.

every car has some features other cars dont. when shopping for a vehicle, pick the car thaat has exactly what you need or has a fair compromise.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
the infiniti/armada intellikey (IK) system is pretty tied into the car. you can set the fob to control not only the seats, mirrors, steering wheel, but also the HVAC controls, radio settings specific to the fob.

still, nissan could have added into the system the ability to allow autostart, however the cost may have been beyond the scope of the cost they were trying to meet.

they also probably figured more people would not NEED autostart vs. the ones who say its a deal breaker if they dont have autostart. and the ones who are the deal breakers usually post up on site asking about why company X didint install _____ (insert feature).

you can install autostart and in fact the nissan IK system can use the FOB to initiate autostart. the MAJOR con is you need to be within IK range for this to happen (within 3 feet).

right now, on the nissan system, if you have an aftermarket autostart/remote start installed, you have to get in the car, shut off the car and then restart it with the FOB you have with you. again this is because when the car autostarts remotely, the gadget (i forget the name of it at this writing--its installed to make the remote system work) fools the system to allow it to start. once you get in the car, the system needs to ID the fob thats on you, and by doing this you need to turn off the car and re start.

every car has some features other cars dont. when shopping for a vehicle, pick the car thaat has exactly what you need or has a fair compromise.
Thanks for the info!! For me specifically the lack of an Autostart is an issue. I distinctly recall more than a few nights where my truck doors were frozen shut after an icy rain sleet mix or flash freeze. I love the idea behind the programmability of the fobs. However in the weather conditions I just mentioned it would be rendered useless. The ability to warm the engine and interior prior to entering the vehicle is important. Surely I cannot be the only one in this segment. Summer time is of no concern. However winter is around six months where I live so half the year this is important.
Hopefully some aftermarket guru has figured out a solution that will work.
Subscribed for updates.

Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 PM

The new 2013 Infinit JX has remote start.

Hopefully this feature can be added to the QX by the dealer.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 QX56 View Post
The new 2013 Infinit JX has remote start.

Hopefully this feature can be added to the QX by the dealer.
Good to know!! Hope you're right!! I may find out as soon as this week.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

yes this can be added at the dealer. there is no need to have a FOB inside the car.

freshalloy.com had a infiniti tech post that he has a system in place that can do this. he was not very giving of details. it can be done.

its programmable by the CONSULT. see attached image. read the first line "engine start by IKey". the issue is getting a competent tech to install it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0392.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	231  
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 AM

That's great news Mark. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 AM

My advice is to shop around for this setup. The closest Infiniti dealer told me it could not be done without defeating the security system. The next closest one told me they could not only add the feature but they could program it to work on the oem remote.
I was amazed at the variance from one dealer to the next.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 PM

I installed the Viper Smart Start system in mine. It hasn't been a cold winter so I didn't use it that much, but it works. No fob left in dash.

Autostart dies when door is opened.

Was probably about 600 plus 100 a year in fees.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM

Default remote start install

I am at the Dealership that is able to do the install.
The system that we have, we are able to integrate it into the factory I key so you will not have to carry around the annoying extra fob. I am also able to do so without the use of a key mounted somewhere under the dash so it will not compromise the security system. I have seen the auto start systems that turn off when the door is opened. The system we have will only turn off if it "times out" or if you command it to turn off. You simply hop in you vehicle hit the push start to turn it over from remote start to normal operation.

Keep in mind that this is only offered "Factory" on the Jx model. The remote starts we offer is aftermarket.

If you have any questions on this my email is Jricka11@gmail.com