infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: 2012 QX56 - P062B code - Sputtering and loss of power

Old 07-11-2018, 06:26 AM

Default 2012 QX56 - P062B code - Sputtering and loss of power

We recently just purchased a 2012 QX56 with 100k on it. 4 weeks after purchase the vehicle threw a P062B code. The engine started sputtering and loss of power going uphill. This does not happen constantly, it comes and goes. Took it to dealership and they tell us that 2 wire harnesses for ECM & 1 relay need replacing. Grand total of $9000.00 to replace them. Has anyone experienced this issue before? I find it difficult to believe that 2 wire harnesses cost 9k to replace.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:16 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

the parts are not expensive, its the labor.

that code is a serious code. that code corresponds to fuel system, injectors, ECM, TCM, Crank and camshaft sensors, MAF, O2 sensor in the manifold. the fact they narrowed it down to those two things is a good sign though, as it could be much worse.

the code mainly means there is a voltage issue/short, causing the injectors to not spray fuel into the chamber properly under a given load. when you press on the accelerator, or go up a hill, naturally the engine has to work hards to perform in those instances, and a more stronger fuel pulse is needed to put more fuel into the chamber. if there is a continuity issue with a wire harness for example, that fuel may not get into the engine when the engine needs it, causing sputtering and bogging down of the engine.

as an aside, have you had the battery/alternator checked? if the battery is weak or the alternator, this can also cause an issue.

when you say "recently just purchased", how recent? did you purchase CPO or from a 3rd party/private party?

do you have the service records for the car? was the car qualified for the recall on the timing chain?

im sure the code has happened to some people before--its not just to nissan but to many others cars that have an electronic fuel delivery system.

if you are handy, you may be able to replace the parts yourself. The wiring harness, depending on which harness specifically, could be a nightmare because it may involve removing the dash and/or interior panels to access the full harness.

again its the labor--the parts are probably less than 1000 dollars USD.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:25 PM

The ECM and ECM harness connectors are located right next to the battery.

Remove the battery and battery tray so you'll have access to the ECM protective plate and more room to the ECM harness connectors. The negative battery cable grounds to the chassis located under the battery tray so check that as well. Disconnect, inspect the pins and clean the ECM harness connectors using CRC QD electrical cleaner.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:28 AM

The Engine Harness is 3k and the EGI Harness is 1k. Quite expensive. The labor to replace both is 3k as well.
I will check battery voltage tonight but I have a feeling it is ECM or Wire Harnesses or both.
I purchased it from a used car dealership.
The service records show that the timing chain recall has already been completed.
The vehicle was always serviced at a Infiniti dealership and has all service records. Very well maintained.
The Infiniti dealership that I took it to for diagnostics said they have seen a few of these come through that land in my VIN# production cycle that have had issues with faulty Engine / EGI harnesses.

Last edited by rbmphillips; 07-12-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

good tips from primo to have a look-see at the harnesses and clean if needed.

ive not seen that code mentioned for this particular car and i troll 3 dedicated qx56 forums, so its not totally something that's common.

keep the class updated.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:18 AM

I spoke with another knowledgeable Nissan technician this past Friday. He told me to check the battery for corrosion and load test the battery. He said that low battery voltage could be the culprit. ECM could be seeing a dip in voltage and causing the injector drivers to fault because of that voltage dip. I took the vehicle to O'Reillys and had the battery load tested. It tested good but it is the original battery still in the vehicle. Battery is 6.5 years old. The battery posts & connectors were corroded. I cleaned the posts and cable connectors thoroughly and reset SES light. The SES light has not came back on yet but we have driven it much this weekend either. I will wait to see what happens this week and report back. I really hope the corroded posts was the issue but I'm not too optimistic about it.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:20 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

Good news bro.

That’s whats I originally stated in my first post, that it could be a voltage issue and that testing the battery/alternator was an easy place to start.

I’d still have a look at those harnesses though, since the first tech seemed to feel there may have been something amiss there....
Old 07-16-2018, 01:07 PM

Im going to take the battery out and clean the ECM harness connection tonight with the CRC cleaner. I am praying that this is the issue. I really do not want to pay 7-8k to fix this vehicle. It is a nice ride but man that's a lot of dinero.

What are the other QX56 forums that you know of?
Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

clubarmada, freshalloy off the top.

you can also search the internet and come up with more...
Old 07-18-2018, 12:04 PM

Cleaned the battery, cleaned the ECM conncetions, SES light come back on yesterday. Loss of power going up hills. What kind of symptoms does a bad catalytic converter give?