infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network





Infiniti Forum: Check engine light came on.. Catalytic converter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-28-2015, 11:55 PM
ArtC_2011_QX56 ArtC_2011_QX56 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1
Default

Purchased 2011 QX56 with 70k just last month with No Warranty. Driving home from the used car dealer the CEL came on. Pulled codes at home P0420 and P0430, cat efficiency on both bank 1 & 2. Cleared the codes several times and the CEL came back on each time the drive cycle would complete. It was obvious someone had cleared the codes before I bought it. Took it to our near by Infiniti dealer. They pulled the codes and decided both Cats needed replaced. Luckily it was fully covered under the Emission Warranty law of 8 years or 80k miles. Had a very positive experience with Chantilly, Va Infiniti dealer. Now I'm investigating a light front axle seal leak and worrying about the potential timing chain issue.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-01-2015, 06:23 AM
roughyear roughyear is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 435
Default

Art.. nothing worse than buying a used car and shit starts falling apart before you even wear a butt pattern into the seats. Tragic you didn't get a warranty, especially if you dropped over $30k for a used truck/car.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 11-24-2015, 06:06 PM
suomycasino suomycasino is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Well I have the bank one issue with mine now. $1900 +tax to replace just the driver side CAT as it is appear toy not cover by my after market warranty. They did cover the $5200 timing chain replacement though. Aftermarket CAT is only $425. Plan on tackling this job myself. Anyone have any experience.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2015, 11:35 AM
kangaruz kangaruz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 14
Default

I would like to know too. As soon as it got below 40 degrees here my SES light came on with a p0430. I thought it may have been bad gas so put in a fuel additive. Code still there so i used a bottle of cataclean. SES light still on.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-26-2015, 12:23 PM
roughyear roughyear is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suomycasino View Post
Well I have the bank one issue with mine now. $1900 +tax to replace just the driver side CAT as it is appear toy not cover by my after market warranty. They did cover the $5200 timing chain replacement though. Aftermarket CAT is only $425. Plan on tackling this job myself. Anyone have any experience.
Why won't the warranty company cover the cost of the CAT??
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-03-2015, 01:26 PM
kangaruz kangaruz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughyear View Post
Why won't the warranty company cover the cost of the CAT??
I have a maxcare warranty that i purchased when i got the vehicle from carmax. the catalytic converters are one of the things that are excluded. not sure about the other guys warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 AM
bigdogbts bigdogbts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 37
Default

So I'm in the same boat right now. 90K on the beast, and the drivers side cat is throwing a CEL. Also a carmax car, and I'm fighting with them now since the manifolds and cats are a unified piece. Manifolds are covered under Maxcare apparently, but cat's aren't?!?! If I could take them apart, sure, I can see cat's being an uncovered part. There's no way to physically separate them, so we'll see.

Called another location that specializes in Nissan and Infiniti here in the area, and they said that part of the reason that these issues arise is that the cat's don't get hot enough during city driving to burn off all the crap that gets thrown at them. Their mechanic suggested throwing a can of seafoam into a half full tank, then driving the beast hard. Repeat once or twice and see if the CEL still presents. Apparently, that works "99% of the time". Depending on what Carmax / MaxCare / Plaza Infiniti decide to do with my warranty claim, I'm going to try that before I authorize the $1900 they want to fix it.... I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited by bigdogbts; 12-17-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
kangaruz kangaruz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogbts View Post
So I'm in the same boat right now. 90K on the beast, and the drivers side cat is throwing a CEL. Also a carmax car, and I'm fighting with them now since the manifolds and cats are a unified piece. Manifolds are covered under Maxcare apparently, but cat's aren't?!?! If I could take them apart, sure, I can see cat's being an uncovered part. There's no way to physically separate them, so we'll see.

Called another location that specializes in Nissan and Infiniti here in the area, and they said that part of the reason that these issues arise is that the cat's don't get hot enough during city driving to burn off all the crap that gets thrown at them. Their mechanic suggested throwing a can of seafoam into a half full tank, then driving the beast hard. Repeat once or twice and see if the CEL still presents. Apparently, that works "99% of the time". Depending on what Carmax / MaxCare / Plaza Infiniti decide to do with my warranty claim, I'm going to try that before I authorize the $1900 they want to fix it.... I'll keep everyone posted.
bigdog keep me updated. i would definitely like to know how this works out for you because chances are same thing will happen to me. i was having code p0430 come up which i thought may be the passenger side cat. someone please correct me if i am wrong. i have not tested the o2 sensor but from what i have read on this site there is a slim chance it is going to be the sensor. have you looked into replacing it yourself? parts look to be around $600 but i have not been under the car in a couple of months so i dont know what needs to be removed to get to it
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:42 AM
bigdogbts bigdogbts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 37
Default

I've looked into replacing both manifolds / cats myself, but frankly, I bought an extended warranty because I don't want to have to spend 8+ hours doing that on my own. Plus, I've got a driveablilty issue (engine is surging and fluttering at 2.5k on the tach) that they're also looking at, so I'm waiting to hear back on that too. I'll keep everyone posted. Love my Infiniti.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-17-2015, 10:03 PM
STR3T STR3T is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 19
Default

2012 w/ 56,000 miles just got cat replaced under warranty. By these posts, sounds like it should be an official recall. Our car definitely gets up to temp...a lot of highway driving these past 3 yrs I it as the Mrs is truly a soccer mom...2 of our kids play comp select with lots of distance driving.

Also had steering wheel replaced. Every now and then the cruise distance button would get stuck while depressing it. That would cause all cruise functions to lock as the button was basically perma-pressed active. Think the plastic part was just a little "off" in size although visually it looked fine. I could press it in further and downward to get it unstuck...but covered under warranty also by Infinity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
infinitiforum.net recognizes that "Infiniti", "Nissan", it's logos and various model names and numbers are registered trademarks of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.. These terms are used for identification purposes only. infinitiforum.net is not affiliated in any way with Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. or any other company listed herein. All information on this site is the opinion of its members and not the opinion of the site itself. ©2018 Madison Ross Media Group. All rights reserved. Content published on InfinitiForum.net requires permission for reprint.
MADISON ROSS MEDIA GROUP MARKETPLACE
Need products for your Infiniti? Check out your options at the links below: