infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: Check engine light came on.. Catalytic converter

Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM

Default Cat Converter Info

Hi,

I thought I would share some info that could possibly help other owners. After getting a check engine light, my mechanic said the codes were for the catalytic converter on the passenger side. He said to take it to Infiniti to see if they would replace it FOC.

Prior to taking it, a little research showed that this was a common issue, but a recall wasn't issued. After diagnostics, they confirmed that was the issue. After a call to Infiniti, the dealer said it was covered under warranty (but at 78K miles, the warranty for the cat converters had expired). I didn't ask and was thankful for the free repair.

Just an FYI to all, don't pay $2500 for this fix!! During a call to the dealer for another issue, I asked about the repair and the tech said it was an "un-official" recall...
Old 06-15-2015, 10:48 PM

Just for curiosity I had my 2010 QX56 checked also and everything was fine, no cracks or leaks found.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:09 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

Manifolds and cats on 2010 and earlier armadas titans and QX vehicles are known for this.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Default Cat Converter Info

What do I do now??? I just got back from the dealer and they told me the same thing...my catalytic converter on the left side is going. It should cost approximately $2000 to fix. I have 85K miles. I'm sick to my stomach. I had the timing chain replaced at 60K. Are these problems related?
Old 06-19-2015, 02:38 PM

Here's the link to another thread discussing my experience:

http://infinitiforum.net/infiniti-fo...ad.php?t=13170

I have not had timing chain issues, but did have both cats replaced. I'm not sure those things are related, but there should be a common cause among the cat replacements. Those things aren't supposed to require replacement every 60k miles.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:32 AM

Default Check engine light came on.. Catalytic converter

Well... driving Sunday afternoon and the CEL comes on: Code P0430

Take it in and get it back 2 days later.

Apparently they replaced the right side catalytic converter @ bank 2 and reprogrammed ECM.

Parts: Manifold Exh w/c.. Gskt-man Exhast.. Stud.. Sensor Assy Air.. Exhaust Gasket

Total cost $100.. as I have the extended warranty.

Anyone know what the cost would have been without the darn warranty?? They didn't put pricing down?

Also, I thought the QX had dual cats; should they have replaced both catalytic converters
Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 PM

Dealer told me to replace the catalytic converter and O2 sensor it's about $1,800. Once again the parts has been revised...both the O2 sensor and the catalytic converter. I had mine replaced shortly after 60k. It better last...no way I should ever have to replace a catalytic converter...this should have been a recall.

The reason they only replace the passenger side, which is bank 2 is because for some reason the catalytic converter on that side loses its efficiency causing the O2 sensor to read outside it's value...hence the check engine light..

Last edited by Rsanders24; 07-17-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:07 PM

Killer, Manifold gaskets too. Well I guess they are pretty easy to get to if you take the front wheels off. Reach in through the wheel well. You can see every thing. I still wouldn't want to tackle that job.
Yeah there are two 'converters.

How does it run now Roughyear ?

Parrott
Old 07-21-2015, 11:21 AM

New member here as well as new 2012 Qx56 owner 30 days ago. I bought my white with tan beauty before reading this forum and needless to say, a week after ownership engine code lit with same code. The audi/porche dealership I bought from comes with 6 month/6k warranty on all used cars. Taking it back next Monday. Will post the outcome or pushback they give me. 62k miles on it. Took it to advance auto for quick odb reading and they said it shows 4 different times code has showed on ECM.

Logan214
2012 QX56
Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 AM

I had the same thing happen to my 2011 with over 80K miles. The dealership fixed it for free saying it was under warranty, which it wasn't.

Needless to say, I was incredibly happy.