infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: QX reliability (potential new users thread)

Old 12-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Default Any need to know info for a Q56 buyer?

Just joined as it appears I'll be replacing my wife's FX with a 11' or 12' Q56. Will buy one with about 30k miles on it, and would like to know if there's anything particular to be watching for, or negotiating for?

Noticed a couple of threads on timing chains. Serious concern with these?

I post on a Vette forum and a Sea Ray forum, all have been very informative. Looking forward to the same here.

Thanks

FF
Old 12-07-2014, 06:06 PM

The QX is probably as thirsty as your Sea Ray

Old 12-08-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughyear View Post
LOL!!! So true!

Timing chain issues seem to be the biggest scare...then possibly catalytic converters...

But just make sure it was well maintained...and you should be good to go...
Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughyear View Post
At 20,000#'s with twin 385 Horizon Big Blocks getting .85mpg - I sure as heck hope not.

Any significant changes between an 11' and 12'?

Has this timing chain been addressed by Nissan in later models?

The more I read, the less inclined I am to go buy one of these for my wife.

- clearly a timing chain issue - not being properly addressed by Infiniti
- fighting dealerships/Nissan to get the work done
- parts on back order because there's so many issues
- downtime of having the unit in the shop
- stress and waste of time having to deal with all of the above, and more

Paying the kind of money they get for these, you expect a level of excellence from the unit itself. I'm not remotely seeing that as I check the internet for information on these units.

Thanks,

FF
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 AM

Its a GREAT truck.. it really is... just make certain you get a nice warranty with it!! On these boards you'll get mainly people with legitimate complaints/issues... you don't really see people on here to praise their cars/trucks.. mainly to get answers to their questions about maintenance issues/defects. ... I'm at over 80k on my 2011.. no major issues (KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK on wood)
Old 12-08-2014, 12:51 PM

If you're on all of those forums, you know you hear the complaints about 20x more than the praise for any vehicle. As quiet as this forum is most of the time, it seems to be 90% complaints / people looking for advice with problems. That alone is a testament to how solid these QXs are.

My wife and I were talking this weekend about how we couldn't find a better balance of comfort, capacity, sportiness (for something this size), towing ability, and class. We get new vehicles a lot in our family, but I honestly can't find anything else I'd rather be driving now. Once the kids are gone, it will be different, but there's nothing else that does everything for us with that level of luxury and comfort.

My dealer experience has been second to none. We always get a loaner if the QX is in for anything more than an oil change. The communication is excellent and they've always gone above and beyond to keep the QX running and my pocketbook happy.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 PM

Unhappy slow down there horsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
i use the ICC aka adaptive cruise all the time. i just sit back and relax. even in stop and go traffic, i have the nanny functions on (IBA, etc) so i just hover my foot over the accelerator and let the car brake for me.

what I like about the iba and those features is when it senses you car not going to slow down and you have your foot on the accelerator, it will "bump" the pedal back to alert you and if you dont respond it will slow down--the chicks love seeing the car do these things on its own!
I love the ICC... but for some reason, when the truck slows down for traffic and then gets open area to accelerate, she takes off like an old horse going back to the stable...

Is there any way to adjust the acceleration rate ? It is uncomfortable acceleration for the car to almost floor itself to accelerate to set speed at full throttle ....
Old 12-10-2014, 03:37 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

thee is no user serviceable option to do this. its in the firmware.

if you can, test drive a qx 80 2015 with this package and check out the behavior on that model.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbitman View Post
I love the ICC... but for some reason, when the truck slows down for traffic and then gets open area to accelerate, she takes off like an old horse going back to the stable...

Is there any way to adjust the acceleration rate ? It is uncomfortable acceleration for the car to almost floor itself to accelerate to set speed at full throttle ....
LOL!!! Mine does the same thing...

I was thinking it might be due to the speed I set it at but it's not. I'm going to ask the dealer about it when I go in for my next oil change.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:54 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

all years do it. im curious if the 2013+/qx80 models do it. It just needs a softer power curve baked into the firmware.

if you set your distance to the second click instead of the shortest distance betwixt you and the car ahead, this may lessen this phenomenon a bit, however it also depends on the road condition (hill, grade, traffic, etc).