infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: Navigation update

Old 06-18-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
i would be amazed if a 2008+ can also use DVDs to update the nav. this is why I would like more info, as navteq and nissan both state the nav must be updated via the CONSULT at the dealer...
According to the NAVTEQ website, the dealer installation requirement ended with the 2010 models. Now they just require an activation code to install the update with DVDs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NAVTEQ.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	390  
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks for the update!

this change was implemented sometimes this year. earlier this year (maybe a couple months ago?) the only way to get the updates was through the dealer. this was definitely changed within the last month or so because I checked the navteq site recently.

this is a much better way and makes better sense. you still can only use one set of discs per car due to the id from the av unit so nissan is still keeping piracy at bay (although it is not too hard to spoof a new ID onto cloned dvds ... )

thx 2011_qx56 for the update.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 PM

Please elaborate on the "spoof" technique :P
Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

Rough,

apologies for the lack of response. i did not even see you respond to this thread. as for what i mean, i dont want to get the site in trouble with posting such tricks. a brief google search can yield you some good info though.

that said, i went ahead and grabbed this set. installed it this past sunday. instructions said to keep the car ON during the entire process--which took roughly ~80 minutes or so!!!!! so I just cleaned up the car, detailing it a little and then just sat in the car and read a book on my tablet...

one thing i like to mention is this set had a system update and now the system voice is much better sounding! the voice that is prior to this release has been on the armada since 2008--this one sounds more natural.
ive not used it for directions yet, but I will soon enough. it also add gracenote updates, zagat, highway junction views, and other smaller settings.

out of the box, the system asks for a password that is given to you on the sale/packing receipt. this password is locked to your unit ID found under "info" on the cars nav system.

this passcode would have been the passcode you would get when you had to take it in for the dealer to update the nav. letting the dealer do it through the CONSULT was much faster than 80 plus minutes...

worth the sale price for sure...

thanks to fagelito for the heads up!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 AM

Sounds like I may go have mine updated this week if I get the time.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM

How much was the NAV DVD upgrade?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:29 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Anyone know how often these maps are "Updated"??

The NavGPS website states the $179 offer price is only good until July 7th; then it changes back to $249. unless they say that everyday is the last day.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

the price will change back to MSRP. they do the discount usually a few months after release of that years map update.

normally navteq has an updated every year, so perhaps the next update will be in early 2014 , like around feb or so.

the updated voice system really is worth the cost of admission. just a more human sounding voice. ive been hearing the same old lady since 2008.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctronixx View Post
.... I've been hearing the same old lady since 2008.
I only wish we had the capability to download new voices "on demand"... perhaps Gunnery Sergeant R. Lee Ermey, Marlon Brando, the Sopranos or the God Father.