infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: Navigation update

Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM

Default Navigation update

How often you guys update the Nav? Infiniti sent a offer for something like $179 free shipping, (heck it should be free shipping).
yeah, the $179 causes pause, but I guess if it updates gas station locations is ok.
parrott
Old 05-23-2013, 05:23 PM

I thought the $tealer had to do the update?? If it comes via a DVD and installs by itself, I'll go in with ya for the update.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

this has been discussed in another thread but the update HAS to be performed by the dealer tech using the CONSULT II (and above) connected to the AV system.

you purchase a code from the navteq site, http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/ .

once you purchase the code, you take this code to the dealer. they use that code against the nissan/infiniti server that stores the map updates (not local to the dealer) and once the code is verified, the CONSULT downloads the data and its then stored into the HDD on the Qx.

Since 2008, all HDD based nissan armada and Qx (possibly all other models too but i am not certain) use this procedure to update. prior to 2008, the updates were via a DVD, Piracy was one of the reasons that led to nissan going to this centrally stored map data system...

nissan will charge you an hours labor for this (its easily a 10 minute job and all done via laptop computer), but if you make nice with a tech or service writer, they may be able to do it for free or just lump it into some other maintenance.

in general, though, you do not need to update your map data if you have all the current waypoints and destinations in your car. if there is new construction or new roads, etc. and you see you are not gaining access to those updates, then do the map update otherwise, dont waste your money.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Default Nav

Thanks Marc for clearing that up. They left that important tidbit of information (of having to go to the dealer) out of the letter.
Interesting. When it said 'free shipping' I assumed the update would be a CD or DVD. See what happens when you 'assume'?
oh well, yeah I'm Pass on this. Sorry roughyear, LOL
Have a good one,
Parrott
Old 06-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Update done...

Purchased the update for $179.00, came within 5 days (5 discs), followed the instructions included and after 90 minutes update was done.

It tested just fine and now my 2011 QX knows where I live !, amazed at how much updated the 2013 vs 2010 update that was included is. Very easy and straight fwd....no dealership required.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Man... that worked??!!! You wanna sell us those discs and we as a group pass it along at a discount, splitting the cost X-number... is that legal :P

Where did u buy it from??
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

that is quite fascinating that you used discs to update the nav! Nissan changed this in the 2008 model year that it now requires a code and a trip to the dealer.

Where did you purchase from? sounds like a reseller vs. going direct to navteq....

and doing it through the dealer will take 10 minutes...
Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 AM

Yeah.... but how much does the $tealer charge for the 10mins and software update??
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 AM

I would think that the update discs are coded to your VIN and cannot be used with other vehicles?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:29 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

i would be amazed if a 2008+ can also use DVDs to update the nav. this is why I would like more info, as navteq and nissan both state the nav must be updated via the CONSULT at the dealer.

prior to 2008, the armadas and infinitis could be updated via dvd because they did not have a HDD system. the dvds were not coded to VINs. one could grab these discs, burn copies and give to friends, etc. this is one reason why nissan went away with doing the updates via dvd..