infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Midsize SUV Forums > Infiniti FX Forums > Infiniti FX45 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Infiniti Forum: Buying an FX45. Oil consumption question.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:41 PM

Default Buying an FX45. Oil consumption question.

Hello everyone, this is my first post, I'm new to the forums, so I apologize if there is a sticky somewhere I haven't seen.

Specs on the FX45:

2003, 115,000 miles

3 owners, one kept for 12 years, next owner kept for 3 years, last owner has only owned since April

AutoCheck says no accidents. Mechanically I can't see evidence of a crash.

Current owner is in the military and is moving, which is why selling.

Current owner does maintenance himself, the guy has some immaculent cars as well (M3 and such) so he seems like he knows what he's doing. He did have a flowmaster 80-series muffler welded on.

When the engine started, I saw a little puff of bluish smoke. It stopped at idle. I could smell a little bit of oil in the exhaust. When I had him rev it a bit, it also blew some bluish smoke. I don't think it was a constant blue, and although it was pretty noticable, it wasn't like a 2-stroke. I couldn't tell if it was the engine or the flowmaster but I heard a little bark/cough when he let go of the gas.

Went to check the oil, it was barely on the stick. The owner was really shocked, he didn't want to even go for a test drive until he put oil in it. He said he did the change a while ago, and added some oil about 1,000 miles ago. I can't remember if his driveway was on an incline, but it wouldn't have affected it that much. He's put only a few thousand miles on it since he's owned it.

I've read that these engines like to drink oil. I'm seen some that blew up. You know how these things go, most people don't complain when things are going good, so is it super common? The engine sounds like a sewing machine (In a good way). No knocks, or ticks of any kind. Engine not dirty, but also not just detailed (Which I hate when people do that).

Bottom line: As long as you keep an eye on the oil and add as needed, do these v8's live long happy lives? I can live with dumping oil in as needed, but if it's a ticking time bomb, then I won't buy it. I am the type of person who will not rag on it daily and autocross in it. Every once in a while, yeah I'll punch it, but most of the time I'll be sitting in traffic or loafing around on side streets.

I'm buying at the low end of the range of '03 FX45's, but it has low miles and seems well cared for.

Thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.