infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX80 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Infiniti Forum: [Resolved itself] Around view/camera issue

Old 08-15-2018, 02:55 PM

Default [Resolved itself] Around view/camera issue

Since it finally stopped raining out here in NY and the tri-state area, I stopped by the house to give the QX a good cleaning. It was the usual routine; pressure wash, foam cannon, wash mitt wipe down, rinse and apply Griots spray wax right before completely drying the QX up.

Everything seemed fine until my oldest (11yr) asked me why there are (4) red exclamation points enclosed in red triangles for each camera while I was backing out of the driveway. I didn't realize the red symbols because I rarely depend on the cameras to begin with. To this day, I'm still pivoting my head, left to right, right to left using the rear view and side mirrors.

Just strange because according to the AV manual, these symbols are displayed "When communication between around view monitor control unit and each camera is not normal."
So, I put the QX into self diagnostic mode (hold setting button, while rotating volume knob to about 40 clicks) and when checking the around view control unit and around view option, no errors were diagnosed. I even checked the error logs and nothing is showing. I basically looked at every option in self diagnostic mode and everything checks out.
Before having to make an appt with the local Infiniti service center, anything else I can do to check the cameras? I thought about recalibrating the cameras but the images surrounding the area along with the guide lines are still showing, no distortion, no misalignment whatsoever.

Of course, after spending the last hour or so trying to figure out whatÂ’s going on, everything is back to normal.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:04 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

the CCU is in the rear on the drivers side. its betwixt the outer cars shell and the interoi finisher.

if water somehow was tossed on to the CCU, this could have caused an issue with the cameras being activated.

the tcm tells the bcm via the gear shifter, that it wants to show the cameras in R. the BCM responds by signaling to the CCU that it wants to see the cameras.

CCU provides continuity, data, power, to the cameras. this in tirun goes to the AV system to display on the screen.

since you saw the X's, the fault may have most likely been with the CCU in back.

water could have dried off or whatever was causing no continuity, and all is well.

this does bring an attention that you should be aware that something is not making a solid connection in the chain.
if it were, say, the rear camera, the others would still show up, so I think the CCU may have been the issue here.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I found everything else related to the around view system after further reading into the service manual.

Thankfully, it wasn't displaying the "X"s on the screen. That would've meant the control unit and camera(s) being affected by electromagnetic noises. The screen would also have distorted images and alignment guide lines which wasn't happening in my case.

I actually found the problem once we got home. I popped the hood open and when I went to remove the pigtail from the front camera, it loosely and easily slid right off. I had removed the grill two weeks ago to clean up the relayed wiring harness for the fogs and its likely I didn't lock the pigtail back into the camera completely. I also found some residual water around the pigtail so water defiantly got in there. I took a can of compressed air and cleared everything out and made sure the pigtail locked back into place.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

Pleased to hear that you were able to source the issues!