infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX80 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Infiniti Forum: Rear Tyre locking up

Old 09-21-2018, 02:24 AM

Default Rear Tyre locking up

Hi, I have experienced the following a few times with my 2017 QX80. On starting it feels as though the brake is on but it isnít even to the point where you can hear the rear tyre sliding (i.e. not turning). You have to really give it some welly to get it to move and it gets worse when you turn full lock. Turning the car on and off several times cures it but when it gets to the dealer, nothing comes up on the radar. Itís happened a few times always after starting the car from overnight.

Has anyone experienced this? Itís difficult to convince the dealer when you canít really drive it to them without re-setting and restarting which cures the problem. I am afraid it is the beginning of something worse to come.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 08:26 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

Are you located in US? Just want to get an idea of where you are.

Could be a ABS fault. Do you have any8 check engine lamp on?

Do you have access to a scan tool? If you are in the US you can go to an auto zone type location and have them run a scan to see if any errors pop up.

Could simply be the Ebrake cable is jammed up. And once you get it loose after turning the wheel is may ‘unstick’. This may simply be a visual thing you can see.

Do you smell brake shoe burning when this occurs?

Finally is the car “new to you” or did you purchase it used? Was it from an infiniti dealer or off brand dealer?

This didn’t obviously occur on day one of you picking the car up so have you made any modifications on that car related to this? Do the brakes work normally once the wheel is “unstick”?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:18 AM

No, i am in HK and the car was mine from new. Itís happened about 8 times, the first about 6 months ago and then nothing until a few weeks ago and then it happened a few times in rapid succession. No warning lights on at all and Infiniti diagnostics didnít pick anything up All standard and no mods. I didnít smelll brake burning but then my air con is always on and the windows up. I told Infiniti the next time it happens i will call them and they come and check it out before i turn off the engine. Was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

My initial thoughts were the 4WD dial or low range had kicked in but it is always in 2H road.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:34 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

If the 4wd setting is engaged in something other than auto, you will see a lamp on the dash and the light on the knob will be lit up. Also it would not affect one wheel.

Do you use your ebrake? You may just have a physical issue with the mechanical cable that locks the brake shoe to the caliper.

Have others experienced this? Possibly, but not everyone jumps on an online forum. I know i frequent a couple well used forums for nissans and ive not seen or read about an issue JUST as you are describing. Ive seen issues where the ebrake castle needs readjusting or there is debris, salt/snow in the ebrake cable that causes the brake to “stick” on occasion.