infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX80 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Notices

Infiniti Forum: Morimoto Type I XB LED Fog Lights

Old 11-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Morimoto Type I XB LED Fog Lights

About two months ago, I bought a '14 QX80 and as always, the mods have begun.
I'm not of fan of plug and play LED/HID bulbs or kits because they just cause additional glare and a scattered light output in a non-projector housing.

Since I retrofitted a set of Morimoto XB LED universal fog lights on my Armada before, I looked up to see what was available. Even though the Morimoto Type I XB LED Fog Lights looked 99.9% that it would fit just like OE, it wasn't listed for the 11-13 QX56/14 QX80. So I took note off the several Infiniti/Nissan vehicles listed as being compatible. I did some research and at least 2 vehicles listed had OE fog light part #s that were the same as the QX56/QX80, and/or that were superseded to a different number.

I decided to pull the trigger and ordered a set; literally plug and play install. I just wired it via a relay harness so that it would light up with the parking lights and not the headlights.
The quality of the light and output is exactly what I was expecting.

I live in NYC, so finding a dimly lit roadway is just about none.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:01 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

wassup primo. didnt know you picked up a qx. cool.

so , just that im up to speed,

the link you posted above...

i see its an ENTIRE housing.. not just the fixture/bulb.

so you are saying that you were able to pop out the entire fog lamp housing on the qx and pop this entire housing in?

no mods done to the bumper?

ive a 2012 and its the same front end as as 14 so i may be interested in a set if no mods are required.

ive a set of LEDS in there now (same housing just swapped the bulbs out)

Old 11-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Yes sir, a totally spontaneous purchase but one of those "too good of a deal" to pass up.

Regarding the XB LED fogs, they replace the OE counterparts entirely without any mods on the bumper. The chrome fog light trim needs to be removed first; easy to do by just pushing on the retaining tabs and pushing the trim outwards. The OE fogs themselves are only bolted down with one bolt. There is a tab located on the bottom facing side of the fog light, which is part of the plastic bumper mold that helps retain the OE fog lights in place. It needs to be pried and then fog lights will pop right out.

My only issue was the XB LEDs I received were missing the correct sized metric threaded bolts (M6-1.0). Luckily, I had some in the tool box so just make sure the correct hardware is included. For peace of mind, I applied some blue loctite on the bolts to help prevent any chance of them loosening out.

Otherwise, plug and play and shouldn't even take 30mins to do. It took me a bit longer because I wired them up via a relayed wiring harness.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:20 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

so the bolts the original fog housing uses cant be re-used?

its been years since i have looked under there. i installed the LEDS when i first got the car and have had no need to get back under there.

do you have a source where one can obtain these M6-1.0 bolts? ands im guessing its one per side?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:25 PM

The OE bolts/cap screw (2) are a size smaller, M5. The Morimoto XB fogs should come with the necessary and correct bolts. If not, no harm in contacting TRS to have them send the correct ones or a local auto parts store such as Advance or Autozone would have them. They're usually sold/listed as cap screw-flanged hex.