infiniti forums   infiniti forums

Go Back   Infiniti Forum > Infiniti Forums (Infiniti SUVs) > Infiniti Full-Size SUV Forums > Infiniti QX56 Forum

Advertisements
cars connected social network

Infiniti Forum: QX reliability (potential new users thread)

Old 09-07-2018, 08:24 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

2005 models had some issues with plastics in the interior and smaller brake rotors. the 2006 and up would be the earliest model I would go.

things to ask:
-any cracked manifolds?
-HVAC door actuators--do they make a "ratchet" type sound when bending/diverting air throughout the dash?
-rust?
-rear HVAC working?
-steering wheel controls

just some random things I have seen mentioned a time or thrice acros a couple nissan forums.

that said, there are many people who keep these cars 250K and over! the car is reliable and has a good history, but i personally would not take that model year.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Looking for thoughts on lifespan of a 2012 QX56

I am looking at buying a 2012 QX56 that has 66k miles on it. I realize that regular maintenance, etc has a huge impact on life span, but I am worried about spending 25k on a car with 60k miles. Is it reasonable to expect this car to last to 180K?

Old 11-20-2018, 07:59 AM

I have a 2011 with about 123,000 miles on it. So I would say these things are built to last. Somethings to look for when considering a truck like this. 1. Has the timing chain been done? Or does it need to be done, 2. At some point you may want to get your Catalytic converters look at (for some reason these units are notorious for the P0420 and P0430 codes). I am actually fighting that code now...lol. The price from the dealer for replacement is about 1900.00 per side based on information here. Make sure all recalls have been performed. Aside from the things I listed, just make sure the maintenance has been done like all the fluid has been changed and air filters
Old 11-20-2018, 09:49 AM
SUPER MODERATOR

this car is based off the nissan patrol. that is a very successful car in many parts of the world. its built to last.

ive a 2012 with 80K miles on it. never had an issue and its my daily driver.

the 2011's and some early 2012s had timing chain issues that were corrected via a recall. this timing chain recall affected the cats due to this. that said, ive not ever had any error codes related to cats (or any error codes at all)--again some early 2011 and 12s did but that is not something you should worry about on a later model years.

as above, make sure maintenance has been done and good records kept. no one but infiniti have touched my car and I ill keep it that way, but regardless, check the records.

no matter how reliable a car is if its been poorly maintained, it wont last.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:24 PM

Default 2010/2012 qx56

So I am considering purchasing a QX56. Found 2 in my area available. One is a 10 with 85k miles. The other is a 12 with 130k miles. Both are close in price (12 is about 1k more). Is it worth it to get the 12 with higher milage or stick with the 10 with close to 50k miles less. What issues should I look out for with these trucks.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung View Post
So I am considering purchasing a QX56. Found 2 in my area available. One is a 10 with 85k miles. The other is a 12 with 130k miles. Both are close in price (12 is about 1k more). Is it worth it to get the 12 with higher milage or stick with the 10 with close to 50k miles less. What issues should I look out for with these trucks.
The most important thing to look for when comparing the two is the timing chain issue. Has it been serviced or if it is even part of the Infiniti recall. Second, see if the catalytic converters have been replaced or at least look at to see if there are any issues. Other then the above issues I would opt for the 2012. Without know all the specs of both the main reason I would go with the 2012 is because it has a better drive train and honestly looks way better inside and out. One thing you should be aware of is that the plastic roof front and rear on the 2010 will tend to crack or break off, if haven't already done so.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung View Post
I would avoid the QX56 at all costs. I have a 2011 that I bought with 80k miles on it. The first time I replaced the the timing chain was at 86k miles before they did the recall ($4000), the second time it was replaced at 106k miles, but Infiniti covered that one under the recall. Now here I am with 136k miles and it needs yet another timing chain replaced. Spoke with the dealer and customer care and they won't replace it again. They said they are no longer doing the recall replacements on this vehicle. Also, both the cats were replaced at 126k miles ($5000). This car has been a money pit since I got it and although I love Nissans and they are usually reliable, the full-size QX is a piece of junk. I was planning on trading this one in for a newer 15 or 16, but I will never buy an Infiniti SUV again.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM
SUPER MODERATOR

Totally disagree on this. The qx is a reliable car. Ive had it new (2012) and now have 86K miles on it. Ive had no issues with my car at all.

the 2011 had some issues for sure (its a first gen product ) but to say “avoid at all costs” is a bit dramatic, with all due respect. Hundreds of people have this car and have no issues whatsoever (myself included) and those people dont normally post up on forums saying how great the car is.

Buying a used car is always a crap shoot, and in your case you bought a first gen used vehicle that may or may not have been maintained properly.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:00 PM

i have a 2005 i buy with 115k the 100k service was done at the dealer before i buy it now it has close to 200k i have not replace much 1 wheel bearing spark plugs brakes a seal somewhere from the input driveshaft $250 now a actuator to control the vent need replace and my driver side axle pop out so far it been a great suv.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:09 PM

Default 2011-2013 High Mileage without timing chain issue?

I am looking at purchasing a 2011-2013 QX56. I know these models have common issues with the timing chain, and I also know that a recall was available until last year.

With that said, I've seen some cases of individuals replacing their timing chains only to have the issue resurface less than 100,000 miles later.

Are there any members here with a high mileage QX56 that has not showed signs of worn timing chains?

Last edited by p00tster; 04-14-2019 at 09:23 PM.